It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should i join the army?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
As an american citizen, and a student in high school, i want to discuss the ups and downs of enlisting when i graduate in two years. I am not saying i definately will, but it seems like a half decent option, (furthering my education by learning to kill people that is) and i am seriously thinking about it.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
If you can put away the politics and what's happening in Iraq at this time, then it's a very noble and honourable vocation. If you can focus on the positive parts of health, fitness, learning physical and mental discipline and honour, then do so. Whats' happening now in Iraq is an abberation and should be treated as such. Concentrate on the positive aspect of defending your home and loved ones with dignity and honour. If I were you, I'd go for it.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
My son joined the Army in spite of Iraq and politics because he believes in his country and wants to serve and give something back for all he has.

When I asked him if it's been tough, he says yes. But even when he's getting yelled at he thinks it's OK because it's all about improving himself.

My son has wanted this since he was a small child. Nobody pushed him into this and he's not running away from anything or anyone. From my point of view, I wonder how many 18 year olds actually know what they want to do in life?

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I was a Force Recon Marine until last summer, and as a recent veteran I urge you to stay in school, or to find a meaningful occupation outside of the military. We are in the midst of a war, not only against the Iraqi people, but also a war of America's young men being sent to slaughter by an unjust regime, backed and controlled by huge corporations.
I encourage you to check out the GI Rights Hotline, they can help you with any questions that you might have about military service other than what the recruiters are telling you. (And recruiters LIE, big time, ask any veteran).

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
If you think about joining the military and you are not a gung-ho person who wants to kill join the air force, navy, or coast guard they are the safest branches and make sure your recruiters give you the career field you want not the one they want. My suggestion is to atleast go to college and maybe join ROTC. You get paid a lot more as an officer and you dont have to do the grunt work. But either way whatever makes you happy, I say do it.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
It's your decision but make sure you've given it some thought and it's TRULY what you want. Although there are good things you get in the military it also is a hard life. You may find it hard to meet people, especially women and you do have to move around a lot.

Plus you have to ask yourself...can you really kill someone? Do you really think you have it in you? Despite what a postee said even if you're in the Air Force and even Coast Guard you will be called on to kill if necessary. By looking at a 9/11 situation with a passenger plane full of innocent passengers, could you shoot down that plane and kill all those people? Sometimes the ones we kill are our own.

Just make sure it's the right decision for you, that's all that matters.

[edit on 10/1/05 by Flyboy211]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Finish school and start college then if the Arm forces has a good opportunity for officer candidate school go for it.

One thing navy or air force if you chose to be enlisted is your best bet.

Good luck.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
IMHO, I would agree with the previous posters... stay in school/college for as long as you can and get some serious life experience before you consider, if when you have graduated and you feel you have had enough of that which college has to offer and you still feel the same, then go for it! Many have stated tat the Army is not for them but as the saying goes "it's horses for courses..." if you really wanna do it then go for it. But remember, this is not the be all and end off of life and take into account.. do you want to be soldiering when your 40 years old with a family to take care of who will worry about you when you are not around to comfort them?? There is a lot of responsibilty involved in being involved in the armed forces and a lot of personal sacrifices will have to be made.. if you are willing to and are in a position to where you will not effect your own metal well being then I wish you the best of luck and only advise you to be true to your own instincts and listen to you gut feeling that which experience can help keep you safe!!

Klep.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Stay in school as long as you can afford it.

If you then feel you should join up, and our military isnm't already in our own streets, be an officer.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
If you really believe that George Bush is doing the right thing and that it is a noble undertaking, and if you are willing to die for this belief then it is not for me to say no.

If, however, you do not have this belief, if you think as I do that the war is unjust and a power-play by the Bush administration, then I would advise against it. Why should you die for someone who doesn't care a jot for America or her people ?

You have two years to decide. Learn as much as you can. Do not fall for the patriotic propaganda or peer pressure. Its your life on the line, not Bush's, not Cheneys, not Rice's. Its you who has to make the decision.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Good forum to incite discussion!

I'd like to give you my opinions, but first and foremost, urge you to make up your own mind, it's the only REAL freedom we have ever had as men.

There is a wealth of information available, in print and on the internet, detailing the exploits of warriors from Japan, Europe, China, the Americas and more. If you are interested in the path of a warrior, you might check out the life and exploits of man named Miyamoto Musashi, and particularly the man who beat him. There is a very important lesson taught by the story about the value of a warrior's life. It is worth a read if you have the time and the inclination. The Art of War by Tsun Szu is another good one, so are The Prince by Machiavelli, and Scholar Warrior by Deng Ming Dao. Those last three are more theory than practice, but offer real insight into the thinking man's war. The difference between mercenaries and regulars, and the difference between ruling with fear and love are probably the most relevant bits in Machiavelli, but the whole book is quite small and a real gem overall.

There are hundreds of thousands of accounts of ancient warriors, and very few accounts of modern ones. I would argue that is because there are fewer warriors these days, and more mercenaries. If you want to join the tide, by all means, but remember, one true warrior is more valuable on the battlefield than a legion of mercenaries.

On the other side of the coin, if you're after money, private mercenary firms pay the best, but usually require documented military experience. In some cases, the private contractors in Iraq make 8-10 times what the enlisted men make. If you want to make a living at anything, the private sector always pays better, that's true no matter what field you're in.

Dixon
Historically there are two kinds of men who fight wars. There are mercenaries and there are warriors. Mercenaries kill for money, pure and simple, you can pay them to kill just about anybody. They are good at killing, but see it more as a day job.
Warriors are men who fight, and kill, in the pursuit of molding their body and mind into the ultimate deadly weapon. Real Warriors are also scholars, historians, psychologists, and thinkers of the highest order.
The military wants mercenaries. Warriors are too high maintenance, and they have silly, outdated notions about honor and single combat that don't mesh with modern stand-off warfare. You say the military of today is an honourable vocation? I disagree, though I do think that there are a number of honorable men serving in the armed forces, I don't see anything honourable in being a mercenary for the government. The military wants you to be able to kill efficiently, not artfully. They want you to be able to take orders, not make up your own mind. I don't think there is anything wrong with being a mercenary, it's been a part of human culture since the stone ages. I just don't think we need to tarnish words like honour by associating them with low rent, cheaper-by-the-dozen hitmen. If you join up now you'll be fighting with Columbian death squads, side by side. Beware the company you keep.
Defend your homeland with dignity and honour, by all means, but you don't have to be in the military to do that. You can train yourself, discipline yourself, arm yourself, and be a force for good with no contractual requirements. If in the end, it turns out you can't hack it as a warrior, but you still want to kill people for money, there's always the army.

Centurion
Don't you think there are better ways to improve oneself? I mean engaging in gun battles with AK sporting, T-shirt wearing teenagers, in 100 degree heat is fun and all..but how about reading a book or hitchhiking the country, or studying martial arts? Why not learn another language, go abroad, and see the world without gunsights in the way?

Klooney
I think part of the lure of military service, if not the single biggest carrot, is the promise of college tuition. Kids who are going into the military to get money for college can't very well go to college before the military can they? I agree though that officer is the way to go, not because you have to work less, but because you have more control over the situation the higher up in command you go. If you dedicate yourself to understanding war and the causes of it, perhaps you could save lives in the future if you were in a command position. The great excuse for war crimes has always been, "I was acting under orders." If you're the guy giving the orders, that point is null and void.

Flyboy
I don't think killing is the hardest part for most people. I think the hardest part is afterwards, coming to terms with how easy it was for you to kill, and realizing the consequences.

Thomas
If our military is in the streets, that would be a good time to join up, no? Statistically speaking, you're safer inside a Bradley vehicle than outside of one, right?

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I'm personly going into the Armed Frorces here in Australia. I'm in the same situation you are now, but I've applied to go to Uni. If I get into Uni then Ill go that, If not then I'm already in the Army. The Army will understand if I choose Uni. Now is the time to start preparing yourself for the Army. Study subjects that will help you, and subjects that relate to your career choice. I studied 20th Century History, Psychology, Visual Art, English. Also play lots of team sports, American Football would be a good one for you. If you are Quarterback then that will help you to. Especially If you want to go Officer.

Well thats it good luck with your future. My opinion go Army Officer

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Join the army if you wish to be a pawn of evil... Hope you dont believe in heaven tho, cuz no US solider is heading there anytime soon...

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
P Amaru, as you have just suggested that all soldiers are of Satan, and I know some and know that they are saved and were saved because the Holy Spirit knocked and they answered, and I know that to call something of the Holy Spirit "Evil" is the unpardonable sin, I'd say you and your big, stupid mouth just check-mated yourself.

Joining the military isn't done on the musing of the current climate. It is done for a general sense of desire to protect one's nation. You may like the president, but the next one might not be to your liking. Regardless of who is Commander in Chief du jour, the country is still the country. That is the best way to look at it. You swear an oath to protect the constitution, not the man.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Stay in School and get an education would be my suggestion. But in saying that the Armed Forces has a lot to offer. If you want to be an Officer thats fine, nothing wrong with working your way up the ranks though. NCO's run the Army anyway they just let the Officers think they are in charge.

If you are really interested why not visit your local recruiting office and talk to one of the guys there, they can go through the options open to you. You dont have to be a front line Soldier there are many other jobs open to a bright well educated individual. If it dosent suit you then there are many other openings for you in Civvy street. I personally would not have missed my time in the Army for the World but its not for everyone, a lot of people join and then hate it. Think carefully before you commit.

[edit on 10-1-2005 by Janus]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
My son joined the Canadian army just last year, and he's glad he did. His infantry training was very tough, but I can tell he's a different person already... more confident, less self-conscious, has done a lot more growing up than he could have got working the McJobs at home... and since he's a very physical type, its really a great adventuresome thing for him to do... I could never see him sitting at a desk. Many of us need something more. He just went back to camp this week after the Christmas break, and today they were off to Northern Ontario for winter training.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Well Sawyer,
I do want to join the army and I planned it out well I think. Heres my plan. First I will get involved in sports and study German as much as possible in High School. After that I will Major in German and minor in business. With any luck I will finish school and join the army where I will try to be based in Germany.

If you can try to get in through language or music. Those are the best non combat positions.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
The marines are called "devil dogs" and that has to do with been a warrior so Thomas don't be so hard on P Amaru.

Actually my husband love to be called devil dog.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Whether you agree or disagree with the current adminstration's actions, I beleive serving in the military is one of the greatest things any person can do with their time...

You have to chose what you want to make of it though...Do you want to do it simply to say you did it? Do you want to use your time in the military as a building block for your civillian future? Or do you want to make it a career? Or a combination of all or some of these?

Each involve different steps.....however...

Originally posted by Tom Sawyer
but it seems like a half decent option, (furthering my education by learning to kill people that is) and i am seriously thinking about it.

That is a niave statement.....and I'm assuming you meant it with some sarcasm....

The ability to kill someone may or not be something you are vigorously trained to do, but it is not their primary goal nor the single most beneficial ability/skill you will take away when your time is up.... People who go into the military to learn to kill people should seek a psychologist...lol

At any rate...My father was in the military...and I spent 18 years of my life tagging around all over the world - So I've met quite a few men and women in the services - 95% of them are excellent people, with a level head, a sharp mind, and an eye on the future....and they have ZERO tolerance for any crap thrown at them....

It's a great choice, if that's your calling....

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Wyrdeone, thanks for the earnest thoughts.

However, each and every US serviceman I know (and literally hundreds with whom I keep in contact with over the years of joint exercises, from officers right down to cookies), is not mercenary.

They are ordinary decent folk with a good dose of religious ethics. Many have recounted to me their histories from street gangs, accountants etc to joining the army.

Sure, they all have some grouse or another but the common thread is that they all believe that they are somehow better people (whether in mind body or spirit) because of the army.

As I said before, IMHO what's happening in Iraq is an abberration.

Large corporations are governed by CEOs. If the CEO makes a bad choice, the workforce still has to follow instructions. No different in the army.

I hope that going through my post, you will realise that I am not some whacko with ultra leanings. I have had some life experiences as well. But really, if I was in the US army now and posted to Iraq, if someone were to even point a gun at me, I would take him out without a 2nd thought.

I really believe that the present problems are created by the CEO and his management team. So, I refuse to knock what I believe is an honourable profession because of this abberration.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join