It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we have the right to suicide?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Wow just wow. I am watching the tv series VICE on HBO right now and it's mind blowing. The subject is the right to die and journalist tracks a few families and documents their stories for the show. I am just blown away...

www.vice.com...

When California enacted the End of Life Option Act last October amid fierce debate, the number of terminally ill Americans with the right to a doctor-assisted death effectively quadrupled. But in parts of Europe, euthanasia is administered far beyond the terminally ill, including those with autism, depression, and personality disorders. VICE's Vikram Gandhi talks with people on both sides of the heated debate surrounding the right to die.

I agree with the right to choose out. It's absolutely within ones rights to end their life if they choose so in a way that's humane.

If I had to put myself in the shoes of the husband in the episode with 3 daughters and a wife with ALS I couldn't do it. It would be heartbreaking. I have a hard time just thinking about it but I understand his wife's reasoning behind why.

Must watch.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I feel like people should definitely have the choice, and I also feel like we need to find a way to break down the stigma behind the subject of suicide itself, rather than having it be so taboo. People will kill themselves whether its allowed or not, making it safe and legal just seems logical.

Plus if its done properly and safely the pain experienced by any family will be reduced so much.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: themagpie

From what I can gather we need a better cultural understanding of death.

I think this topic requires more mainstream conversation across the board.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Much like all my other rights, which cannot be denied, if I chose to end my life nobody is going to stop me.

I have a pact with a friend, if either of us becomes a vegetable then the other will end it no matter the cost. Better one of us live in a cell than either of us live in a ruined body.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 03:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

Yes but this discussion is about the right legally to practice this with professional help.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 03:11 AM
link   

I have the same pacts. We will not let one live like that.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: themagpie

I agree in some ways- However i would say that for parents with younger children it would be selfish. It's strange to log in and see this topic,i was literally thinking about the subject Right before.I was thinking of a friend and her mom,who is elderly by now.She,the old lady is happy+enjoying her life again by now,but she was very suicidal at one point.

She had 6 children,of which she lost 2 to accidents+ car wrecks,so she was contemplating suicide seriously after the loss of the 2nd child.But her other children,also young adults by then,basically told her she Had to hang in there,that they also still needed her.

Difficult matter this,but i think if one's children are adults and can handle one's loss,one should have the right to choose.Most especially if you're elderly and in constant ill health and pain,physical or mental. I would Certainly advise young healthy people and teenagers against it though.Life is never easy,one should soldier on,it usually gets better.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

This is exactly why the story of the mom stood out to me.

Is she right in her opinion that she would become a burden to them?

When my grandmother was in that state it was heartbreaking for me because I knew she was living fully until the end. Just who she was.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Yes but this discussion is about the right legally to practice this with professional help.

I think the elephant in the room is that are you expecting to involve someone else in your suicide?

Like the person who throws themselves in front of the tram, train, car or lorry....poor driver has to live with that.

The doctor who administers the drug...big ask.

The police officer / family/ friend / paramedic that finds your hanging body...nice one.

So no, I dont think it should be legal to end your own life on account of those you may traumatize by your actions.

PS. I have considered it and the legality of it is completely redundant if you choose to end your own life, just your own personal morality which goes out of the window the minute you "jump'.

In cases where you are a vegetable and cant help yourself, I wonder if you have the right to ask someone else to do it? Perhaps if you could rig up a way for the vegetable to do it themselves, ie. push a button.

Its a bit deep man.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I've said it many time here already...

The government does not give life. It can not birth new life into this world and grant it existence for any period of time. Therefore, government can not (or should not) have the authority to step in and determine when that life has had enough pain and suffering for them to grant any kind of permission to end it.

Period.

When they can grant me with life, they can then grant me with their opinion on my opinion of when I want to depart.
edit on 2/21/2016 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Does the question of Morality come down to perspective and if that's the case then how do we decide?

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I do feel that people who think suicide is wrong for whatever reasons, usually either because they are wealthy and fear being bumped off by a supposed suicide death or have strong religious convictions are entitled to their view.

However I don't think they should have influence over the law in that it should be an option, without stigma or religious nonsense that one has the right to make that choice for oneself.

Issues where repercussions affect others should be judged by the individual and those affected, although in my experience many will simply find a way to die if they really wish to regardless of the consequences for others.

We are stuck in many cases where religion has had too much influence over politics and it has denied us the right to make choices we may need to make.

Its also one of those things where politicians who represent the people feel it beholden upon themselves to merely make the personal choice on this matter, as with hanging for murder etc when their job is to represent their constituents. The politicians who decides to act on his or her conscience only is a sham as they certainly don't on other occasions.
edit on 21-2-2016 by Shiloh7 because: missed out piece

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 03:34 AM
link   
True freedom means everything is up to you, including freedom to decide when to call it quits.

The American view on freedom is very dodgey at best. We prefer deciding for others what is best for them, based on what we, the outside party, think is better, no if's, and's or but's about it. IMO, that is the epitome of selfishness.
When you interject your own desires and wants to influence the end results of the life choices of someone else, you ARE denying them their rightful freedom to choose for themselves (god-given freedom, as some of the bible thumpers call it)

Humane death is an option for our pets, both preferred and encouraged. If you don't euthanize a sick/miserable animal, you're an asshole. The fact that we cannot give the same privilege to fellow humans highlights a very backward way of thinking.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Listen, I have been heavily damaged in action of life. I have died twice. I seriously consider ending it often because of the severe chronic pain I live in. However, I don't because of my family and what it would do to them. Especially my daughter (who is 24) as she has been through a hell of a lot seeing me shot, being on life support, her sister dying of an OD, and much more. There is an issue of people trying to commit suicide and failing. It leaves one hell of a mess, usually making things much worse than before they wanted to commit suicide. Hence, I feel that having a professional option that would ensure you go peacefully and entirely is an option that some should definitely have.

However, I also feel it should be very limited to what conditions are allowed. Depression is usually curable one way or another. But, if you are truly suffering illness. pain, inability to function, etc. then you should not have to lay around for 20, 40, years or whatever waiting to die. BTW, you don't die when your body does. I have written about it before so no need to repeat. Besides that is going to be a personal spiritual choice. I think we should limit it to the physical when considering these discussions. Otherwise there will never be any agreement or compassion toward getting this legally acceptable.

My physical damage has been so great that I am given ample medications every month to end 40 lives peacefully. So, that becomes a personal choice if you are being effectively treated for physical pain. What is sad is people who are suffering without proper treatment like what is being done in the US now to so many chronic pain patients. The DEA is restricting doctors and pharmacies as to how much by percentage a doctor can write or a pharmacy can fill overall for all patients. It has resulted is a large amount given the boot and they end up on the street buying heroin which is actually cheaper for some. Fortunately for me, that will not happen as I have the history and documentation that puts me at or above a terminal amount of pain.

The subject however is one I support though because until you are living it, you have no idea what kind of hell it is. To wake up to severe pain racking your body every 30 or 40 minutes, and then having to go through it all day, etc. and deal with trying to be nice to others around you. Or trying to carry on and having to be medicated at levels that makes you less than pleasant to be around. Every day, all day, every night, all night and no end in sight. It truly drives you into thoughts most people don't understand. Discussing this is always problematic though as far as I have experienced. I finally got my daughter to say she understands and it is ok for me to go. However, I just can't do it to her. Make of that what you will.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 03:37 AM
link   
This is a complex ethical issue. While people should have "the right to die", in my view, legalising it may be the catalyst for people to persuade their elderly parents to "move on".

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 03:40 AM
link   

It doesn't take a professional, only a willing hand. It should be legal for a professional if that's the question. I've seen the senseless suffering from chemo when my father suffered from a cancer that there was no hope of beating. Hundreds of thousands paid for nothing more than extended suffering.

Let's not forget though, it's very easy to end it if you want to. It's not rocket science.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 03:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
This is a complex ethical issue. While people should have "the right to die", in my view, legalising it may be the catalyst for people to persuade their elderly parents to "move on".

If it comes down to a choice between me being a burden on my kids to care for me, being in a nursing home, or having the option of euthanasia & being no one's burden, guess which one I'm choosing?

People are going to manipulate systems here &there, it's a given. Hell, people ALREADY abuse the elderly, mess with their meds, etc. I think the elderly having an option of when to say Fin is more noble than keeping them bedridden & dependent until they kick it naturally.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: spirit_horse

Sorry to read your situation and that of your daughters. I think you are very brave and also your daughter, my family's thoughts go out to you.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 03:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

I would say it has to be the individuals choice if they are capable of making it. That brings up the point Ksihkehe did as to what if you can;t decide or do anything for yourself. That is why people, life long friends and others have made absolute packs to end it for them. Of course we will give them a period of time before doing so, They have to be brain dead or unable to move or anything for life. If they can't do it due to physical reasons and request it, we will help them along and yes we are all aware of the potential consequences of such an action.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: spirit_horse

I have the same pacts. We will not let one live like that.

Dignity, in life or death, is not something strangers should decide. I can tell we're siblings in our beliefs. I hope neither of us comes to it and we die in our sleep, dreaming of better things.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join