It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blessed are the poor in spirit...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 04:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Esoterotica
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

It is better to suffer as a saint than revel as a fool.

It's better to avoid suffering, and return those beliefs to that where they came from.
edit on 16201632amk2016 by yosako because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 05:15 AM
link   
This is a good thread,

If I could just cut through all the religious scripture and talk of deity stuff...

The spirit. We all have this, every single thing that lives. It's the innocence of youth and in most cultures this is often seen as something that inevitably ends. As a child you are in touch with your intuition. Children see monsters because their spirit isn't squished by our reality which keeps us grounded in the here and now. A child as it gets older begins to experience a gradual indoctrination into the adult reality. The instincts and intuition are gradually stripped away by the various forms of indoctrination available to us adults.

We have throughout the ages struggled to really make any sense of this, and it doesn't get better when we start dropping scripture into it and aligning our faith(or surrender) to it.

This will probably offend so I apologise for causing offence if it's taken. A lot of religious text points to the same thing, the similarities and structure is similar and whilst the message they carry are the same it's just the setting is changed. Religion unfortunately is something that is hijacked. We see people everywhere dying in its name so we turn away from the actual message.

Most prophets have preached about forgiveness, compassion and living a life which seems to be hinged on doing good deeds for others, it's not because they were killjoys or boring. It's because when you condition yourself into these habits you raise your vibration(hate that new age term) once this is raised and you engage in love and receive it, your spirit is raised and then things like intuition get stronger, then you stop wanting a master .

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

WOW...... S&F

Faith is a gift it is not something you are born with. It can fade away and some never have it. Why?

Why is there the seed of Eve and the seed of the serpent walking around and reproducing on this world?

Your words concerning this thread are very powerful even though I disagree with very little you mentioned......

If I disagree with the teachings of Paul is this a reason to walk away from God? Is this a reason to reject the Christian faith? Do I worship Paul or any other apostle.... of course not. I follow Christ.... the leader of the Christian faith.

your deeds and actions are what makes you who you are...

Correct BUT not enough. You speak of God in your thread and your deeds and actions are NOT enough for God.... he expects MORE! Being a great person does not give anyone a right to heaven. It does not give anyone a right to live with God. Does it not say in the Torah....bible and Koran that God is a jealous God that DEMANDS our worship?

NOTE: I just mentioned three quarters of all human population in above paragraph. If that is not proof of God's existence..... three fourths of the human population (based solely on three religions) believing in some type of God than

Too many become distracted and today it is easy to be distracted. Reading a bible will NEVER save anyone.

Gotta run......family stopped by....

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Yeah, I feel real blessed by The One. My mother beat the snot out of my sibs and me when we were kids and too small to fight back and stabbed my sister and me at the dinner table.

Was that The One too? What a swell guy.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lurker1
Yeah, I feel real blessed by The One. My mother beat the snot out of my sibs and me when we were kids and too small to fight back and stabbed my sister and me at the dinner table.

You see that is the problem right here......

Here we have someone blaming God because their mother was an asshole.

Stop blaming God for mankind's decisions and for what they do.....

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

As a Deist, I believe that the Creator designed this hellhole, then sat back in sadistic glee to watch this debacle unfold.

My a**hole mother is an intentional part of the design.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

As a Deist, I believe that the Creator designed this hellhole, then sat back in sadistic glee to watch this debacle unfold.

I gave that star!

I am happy to see that at least you believe in a creator..... first step is the hardest!

The who's, what's, and why's we try to figure out....right?

None of us know why God allowed what had been done on this earth......it is only speculation but what we do know is that God is not here ruling this planet otherwise these things would not be allowed.....right?

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

I keep hearing it's a test. I'm getting mighty sick of constantly being challenged to do the right thing.

There's got to be a better way.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

That’s an interpretation. And on face value seemingly somewhat justified from the negative things in this world.

But that’s a dark pessimistic view.

This world is a corrupted world that reflects a higher world that it’s descended from.

The Garden of Eden allegory explains this.

When one takes the spiritual path (a very difficult path) one embarks on a return to that original paradise and beyond...having learned the lessons of the folly of the fall into this world.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I keep hearing it's a test. I'm getting mighty sick of constantly being challenged to do the right thing.

There's got to be a better way.

If there is a better way please share!

My brother/sister...... blessings upon you!

It is hard...... why the angels in heaven see what we go through and how much God loves us..... and how God told them THEY (meaning US....humans) are his children and the angels are to serve us...... I can see why some angels became offended....can you? AND those who decided to refused became rebellious and refused to serve a mortal being going against God's command......

Don't forget this.......

As God's child...... how much authority have you given up and refused to accept?

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Mongo merely pawn in game of life.

God is a dick. He knows he's a dick. He enjoys being a dick.

But since he's omnipotent and wrote the book, Mongo can only go with the flow.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

No. To me what Paul is saying is that those who do works to be saved are doing them out of duty, not simply out of the desire to do right. The idea that salvation is through faith frees you from the burden of feeling you must do works. It doesn't mean you don't have to do works, but it does free you from feeling you have to do.

Which act of kindness and charity is more genuine: The one done freely from a loving heart or the one done by a person who simply thinks they must do it to "buy" their way into heaven?

I know that I enjoy helping people a whole lot more when I feel that I chose to do it freely and there is no mandate behind it compelling me. Salvation by works imposes that mandate. I MUST do those works to get into heaven, and then you open up the whole can of worms as to what constitutes and actual "good work" and what does not, and who on earth gets to judge that?

You think that church Christians are sanctimonious now ... Just wait until they start asking you what you've done for the poor lately.

Oh wait, we already have all the pious liberals doing that, and I don't like it one bit.

edit on 21-2-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The idea that salvation is through faith frees you from the burden of feeling you must do works. It doesn't mean you don't have to do works, but it does free you from feeling you have to do.

Why do you find that helping others is a "burden"?

Which act of kindness and charity is more genuine: The one done freely from a loving heart or the one done by a person who simply thinks they must do it to "buy" their way into heaven?

Jesus didn't say anything about buying your way into heaven.. or any sin "debt" for that matter...

only what was necessary to get there... and belief requires action according to HIM

I know that I enjoy helping people a whole lot more when I feel that I chose to do it freely and there is no mandate behind it compelling me.

I guess those two laws don't really matter much then...

Salvation by works imposes that mandate. I MUST do those works to get into heaven, and then you open up the whole can of worms as to what constitutes and actual "good work" and what does not, and who on earth gets to judge that?

Why worry about who can judge here on earth...

The only thing I've said about being "saved" is that those that endure will be...

And IF you've read the gospels, and I know you have... you should know that it is nothing less then a Mandate to his people...

You think that church Christians are sanctimonious now ... Just wait until they start asking you what you've done for the poor lately.

Oh wait, we already have all the pious liberals doing that, and I don't like it one bit.

ok...

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   
No offense, but you've ALL misunderstood or ill-conceived the purpose of that statement.

"Blessed are those who are poor in spirit....."

It has nothing to do with your soul, spirit, Divine Spirit, Holy Ghost, etc.

It is much simpler than that.

If you are poor in spirit you are in a low point in your life. You are low in spirit. Something tragic has happened and Joshua is telling you that it is in THIS moment that you will receive the kingdom of heaven, which is hope. Those in their most dire moments are they that truly experience the kingdom of heaven because only after hitting rock bottom can the helping hand out, God, be of no higher importance and redemption from the bad situation.

It's not always cryptic with Jesus. Sometimes he's stating exactly what the words read.

I always understood it this way. Most apologies if I offend.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

Of course you are welcome to your own views on the verse...

As i've stated, this was not meant to be a religious thread...

Lets just say i was "inspired" to expound on it in a philosopical sense

Take it as you will

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

I will tell them they are not, nobody is

And how did you arrive at this conclusion Omniscience? So you are a self appointed judge based on some ramblings from a book. hmmm

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   

I disagree. I find it somewhat amusing, that people can see God is not omnipotent, but it takes us hitting rock bottom before we begin to believe we can be helped? We humanise our perception based on hope? What hope is that, the bit where the all powerful creator takes away the suffering based on us having had enough of the misery we have caused to come upon ourselves?

The facts based on this reality. There isn't a concious relationship with God and us, the same with Evil. The only thing that is right is how we are saved by God, but this is widely misunderstood, mainly because we try to apply teachings that are from a different era where language was used differently. People from those times had a totally different culture. The very fabric of culture in those times were glued together by ideas that were common amongst people. Ask a person today the difference between the Body, the soul and the Spirit and that confusion is apparent.

IMO, there are two types of universal conciousness and we can sense them and we feel them. There is the source, the light, what some call God. Our Spirit is a fragment of this. When we work on ourselves and others our spirit grows and we become more in tune with this conciousness. The more in tune with this, the stronger our intuition grows and the more we notice deja vu and synchronicity. We feel connected and that is because we are......... Imagine it like a wifi signal. the signal is weak to you either move closer to the router(God) or you up the power(your spirit) so you can get the signal.

Then there is the evil conciousness, its not really concious but it seems like it is. This is the result of our weak spirits and fearful minds. Conciousness in us is energy and thoughts are a form of conciousness. Energy isn't destroyed just as Spirit is eternal. Where does that fear and negativity go? Our minds when engaged with the soul are machines that differentiate between base instincts. Can we f**k it? NO, can we eat it? No, can it eat us? Yes, run! We spends a lot of time when awake dealing with random thoughts that always seem to point us into a fearful response. Now imagine all that negative thought, imagine that its felt strongly enough..... Poltergeists are reported often around young girls who are undergoing puberty, whys that? Simple explanation, they project emotion, which forms a thoughtform and when we sense it it makes us feel weird, our hairs on the back of our necks stand up. We think because it scared us then it must be sentient, or even worse we convince ourselves it didn't happen(delusion) or try to pin it on other events.

The one thing that is apparent to me and I hope others too is that if we want to get closer to God, we have got to stop looking outside ourselves and take responsibility. Those random thoughts you have been conditioned to throw away as meaningless are far from that. We approach the whole subject backwards thinking it God who needs to show himself/herself to us. If most were to be shown God, were to know without any doubt he existed, most would live as the bible tells them but even then they would be wrong.

God does exist. I don't call it God, its my source, its the source of the spark in me that drives me to understand others and help, its the part that can't stand to see others suffer and wants to help, its the part of me that would die a million times over if it meant I could raise just one persons spirit. Its the part that wants to belong and seeks home.

The mechanism if anyone is interested.

Raise your Spirit.
Understand that you are eternal.
Help others.
Be closer to God.

The really good part comes when you ask the question, do I need to return to source?

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 03:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: auraofblack

The really good part comes when you ask the question, do I need to return to source?

Once that question is answered you might come to realise that you never left nor can ever leave source.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Th0r

To be fair, that should have come with a spoiler.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join