It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China is removing over 9000 people from their homes to hunt for aliens

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I really kinda like what the Chinese have made for themselves; a great big target for ET to aim at. Many thanks.
edit on 20-2-2016 by Justso because: left out a word

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
At least the Chinese are compensating the people they are forcing to move.

In the US, all you have to do is close a factory or two and 9000 people have to move just to find a new means of subsistence.

-dex

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   
If it were me...I wouldn't argue over helping something like this come to fruition with a simple move. With as much that can be learned, the value of the knowledge gained for humanity as a whole far outweighs the inconvenience of moving.

I have no idea how the compensation is figured, but I hope it's at least something akin to tax assessed or near-market value compensation for land/home owners (though knowing China, probably not)

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I have wondered if the PRC's climate models shows them losing their coastal cities and that these empty cities were for the relocation of citizens of those cities.... orrrr they are expecting extraordinary warfare at some point and expect that they will need to move survivors from the radioactive ruins of former cities to these new empty cities that are ready for such a purpose.

Moving 9,000 people is really nothing for China. They have been moving people off of the land into new little towns and villages for some time. Whatever the PRC's great plan is with all of this still seems a bit murky... well indeed, very murky.

All that being said, when it comes to extraordinary building efforts the Chinese are definitely masters of the art ... whether with a Great Wall in more ancient times or this new extraordinary technological achievement.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 01:26 AM
link   
The 'aliens' tag is a handy headline grabber, but there is more to radio astronomy than that.

It isn't a case of China not trusting other radio-telescopes, they are just pursuing their own goals and see a lot of international prestige in having the biggest and newest one around.

Why do it? Because science.

Here's some more:

earthsky.org...

edit on 21/2/2016 by OneBigMonkeyToo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: eisegesis

Now that's impressive , hope they let us know when they find them.

China isn't going to let anybody know anything.

You know better than that 😂

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 05:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mizzijr

originally posted by: gortex

Now that's impressive , hope they let us know when they find them.

You know better than that 😂

Don't be so quick to jump to that assumption.. The nation that announces to the world they have found alien life/signals can claim huge credit as a nation.. to the world and their own people..
China would love to stick one finger up at the U.S

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   

9000 is a drop in the bucket compared to their 3 gorges dam project.

I am curious why that particular area? Chine is huge so one thinks they could have found an area not populated.

Either or I am curious what this thing will discover.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   

it sounded like the chines would Hunt Aliens hiding with the people.
Now that would have been a big stories.

why would china wast money like this?
do they know some thing?
maybe they hack't seti?
could this be to SEND a message?

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: heffo7

I'm looking at where this thing is being built and wondering why it's set back in obviously rocky terrain. Wouldn't the rocks around it potentially interfere with the signal reception if it's that sensitive?

The radio telescope here in Australia at Parkes is way apart from anything and set up high from the ground, and it doesn't have a bad track record.

It only needs to receive radio waves from directly above. Rocks would help to shield any stray interference from the surrounding area. Just to make sure there's no interference from laptops, PC's, microwave cookers or other human activity, they are displacing all those residents.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aqualung2012
Imagine the implications of China giving the first impressions to our distant neighbors!

Why's that such a problem? Could be worse, the US could make first contact. Perhaps they already have, hence the silence.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Mizzijr

You know better than that

I've been thinking about that and I'm not sure they would keep it secret if they found a signal , what purpose would that serve ?
I think it likely that they would announce it with much fanfare and nationalistic fervor , they built this great ear and have heard our neighbors.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The science people are like it's for science, so it's ok. So many people are like that. If it's for their cause, they'll sweep it under the rug.

More money spent on military? It's ok because it serves a good purpose. More money for a climate satellite? It's ok because it servers a good purpose. Do you get it? It always serves a good purpose if it serves yours. This may not be true if lots of people have to die painful deaths because then it's obvious you're crossing a line. But 9000 people being relocated? Serves a higher purpose. At least they're not being killed!

You might say "Oh but it's science, not an opinion!" Tell that to weapons researchers or researchers who want to use baby parts. See, science can be fact and still cross a line into immoral territory. Scientists aren't angels. They're wrapped up in their cause just like anybody else.
edit on 2/21/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
maybe the Chinese already made "contact", and they are building this to provide better reception...

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlowNail

originally posted by: Aqualung2012
Imagine the implications of China giving the first impressions to our distant neighbors!

Why's that such a problem? Could be worse, the US could make first contact. Perhaps they already have, hence the silence.

I don't really mean that the Chinese nation in particular would be so bad, but it does carry with it a certain set of implications. Any specific nation would be less than ideal, really. I do agree with you in saying that the US might be an even worse representative for the human race than China, but it begs the point which is: politics and favoritism would undoubtedly skew the first impression regardless of which nation "broke the ice."

edit on PMq000000pmSunday0000002320 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Aqualung2012

Here's to hoping first contact is made by an 8 year old.

Probably the best first impression we could hope for.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Well good for the Chinese, unfortunate for those displaced, Funny thing tho, as I came across this thread I am also watching the Movie Battleship.. A movie about how we sent a signal out to space and got a threatening response. And the Chinese were mentioned early in the movie..Love quirky coincidences.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Impressive and good for them but sadly I dont believe they would share such a discovery like that one. Most likely it will be used for other means.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   
they will need a lot of energy for the project , for example, for this youtu.be... the Chernobyl nuclear power plant was needed . comes to mind an anecdote about a Chinese power station, where every minute a million Chinese women rolling down into the silk shorts with glass hill
edit on 22/2/16 by mangust69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   
According to this PopSci link

FAST should be able to detect extraplanetary transmissions at distances of greater than 1,000 light years.

How many nations have radio telescopes to search for aliens? They must know something we don't...I bet there are undisclosed alien radio transmissions.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join