It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Referendum 23 June 2016 - Will it be an EU BREXIT or Not?

page: 74
<< 71  72  73    75  76  77 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

Well, i have finally met a few Brexiters, so there are some around my area.........just not many! Still find it interesting that my experiences with this are so far removed from most of you seem to be reporting.

I was in Amersham at the weekend (very expensive, nice town) and the Leave camp were out campaigning - with very little response. I also went to Aylesbury (with same friends) which is a town i love but, it has to be said, much more "working class" for that part of England and again the Leave camp were out campaigning in the town centre - with much more support. So my experiences kind of backed up what the polls are saying, ie that the less well educated areas are more in favour of Brexit.

This got me thinking though that, actually, it is less about education and more simply a reflection that people in the "less well educated" areas actually believe they are more at risk from large scale migration. By this i mean that there is more a belief in these areas that there jobs, for example, are more at risk.

Either way, it was actually quite a pleasure to have a chat with those campaigning to Leave. They were certainly courteous and civil (makes a change from usual General Election campaigning) and were quite happy to try and answer questions. Interstingly enough, i did not see one person campaigning to Stay in either town (haven't at home in York either).

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
From Vote Leave:

New EU border proposals make us less safe

The unelected European Commission yesterday confirmed plans to give Turkey visa-free access to the EU’s passport-free travel area. This will create a free travel zone from the Syrian border right up to the English Channel. Our NHS and public services are already under huge strain, but plans to expand the EU to include countries such as Turkey and Albania with millions of new citizens will only increase that pressure.

The EU refuses to address the root cause of the migration crisis – the EU’s borderless travel area. Brussels’ answer to every crisis is simply ‘more Europe’. Indeed, the Commission said this week that the passport-free Schengen area is ‘one of the greatest achievements of the European Union’.

We disagree. So do security and intelligence experts including the former head of Interpol Ronald K. Noble www.nytimes.com... and the www.telegraph.co.uk... US Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, who have pointed out that the EU’s open-borders system is allowing terrorists to enter the EU and is a danger to our national security. Even the EU’s own border agency, Frontex, www.dailymail.co.uk... t-facing-thorough-checks.html admitted the EU makes us less safe.

It is clear that the safer choice for our national security and our public services is to take back control of our borders and Vote Leave on 23 June.

EU bad for animal welfare

Under EU law, the UK is powerless to stop live animals being exported abroad for slaughter. This means that, each year, tens of thousands of lambs have to endure inhumane journeys across the Channel to be slaughtered, even though public opinion in the UK is strongly opposed to the practice.

Many campaigners have called for an amendment to national legislation to introduce a targeted ban on some live exports from British ports. However, unelected officials in Brussels have made clear that such a ban would be against EU law.

After we Vote Leave we can take back control of our laws and set our own animal welfare policy. Please ask your friends and family to sign our petition action.voteleavetakecontrol.org... to end this inhumane practice.

Today’s must-reads:

Millions of Turks given visa-free travel in Europe - Times
www.thetimes.co.uk...

EU migration policy descends into chaos as Brussels blasted for trying to ‘blackmail’ countries - Sun
www.thesun.co.uk... nto-accepting-refugees.html

Brexit best for animals, Boris’s father admits - Times
www.thetimes.co.uk...

EU Tobacco Products Directive chokes off the UK's e-cigarette and vaping market - CityAM
www.thetimes.co.uk...

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

Well, i have finally met a few Brexiters, so there are some around my area.........just not many! Still find it interesting that my experiences with this are so far removed from most of you seem to be reporting.

I was in Amersham at the weekend (very expensive, nice town) and the Leave camp were out campaigning - with very little response. I also went to Aylesbury (with same friends) which is a town i love but, it has to be said, much more "working class" for that part of England and again the Leave camp were out campaigning in the town centre - with much more support. So my experiences kind of backed up what the polls are saying, ie that the less well educated areas are more in favour of Brexit.

This got me thinking though that, actually, it is less about education and more simply a reflection that people in the "less well educated" areas actually believe they are more at risk from large scale migration. By this i mean that there is more a belief in these areas that there jobs, for example, are more at risk.

Either way, it was actually quite a pleasure to have a chat with those campaigning to Leave. They were certainly courteous and civil (makes a change from usual General Election campaigning) and were quite happy to try and answer questions. Interstingly enough, i did not see one person campaigning to Stay in either town (haven't at home in York either).
What you state makes sense. Those better off will be less concerned about the impacts of remaining in the EU and immigration because its less likely to effect them.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I would assume the loss of Labour seats is due to the fact that Labour are supporting Stay in the EU. Also UKIP have picked up seats so this may be an indicator that folk favour leving the EU. Thoughts chaps and chapesses?

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite
I would assume the loss of Labour seats is due to the fact that Labour are supporting Stay in the EU. Also UKIP have picked up seats so this may be an indicator that folk favour leving the EU. Thoughts chaps and chapesses?

The Brexit vote is going to be to stay. That's a near certainty now. Unless something major happens between now and June.
When you look at the polling - it's the young, rich , Scots and Welsh that will keep us in.
edit on 6/5/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Think the BS and insanity comeing out the EU have done it.

We didnt need a leave Campaign. The actions of the EU the last year have pretty much been all the leave campaign we needed......

We asked them to reform and stop the maddness and they seem to have not only ignored us but doubled down on there crazy.
edit on 6-5-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

The Brexit vote is going to be to stay. That's a near certainty now. Unless something major happens between now and June.
When you look at the polling - it's the young, rich , Scots and Welsh that will keep us in.
I beg to differ, the results of the local elections are an indication that voters are taking the EU referendum seriously and I expect a large turn out in favour of Leave. The results also suggest that voters are not happy with the EU. But I could be wrong and we are f.ck.d or will be!

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Interesting reading...........

www.eureferendum.com...

and polling from W

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 6-5-2016 by RP2SticksOfDynamite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Interesting article in Spiked today on why a United States of Europe will never work.

The EU has never had one common vernacular, let alone one shared common culture. Hence the blandness of euro banknotes: the EU can’t even agree on shared icons without squabbling. This is much more important than dullard Eurocrats comprehend. They, and the economists and business leaders who forever champion a united Europe, regard people mainly as producers and consumers, blank slates who can be remoulded into good EU citizens. They fail to see people as complex individuals bestowed and even hampered by their language and cultures.

If you fit many cultures and languages into one economic system, the result is ever-more pronounced regional inequality and consequent nationalist resentment. Populist, reactionary and radical movements have emerged as a direct consequence of the euro and the pockets of poverty it has spawned.

Yet the more the EU moves its people towards unity, the more it will seal its own demise. The point of any federal system is that member states want to live in a broad association, but not in one, unified sovereign state. Federal states are ripped apart when the centre over-exerts its authority: witness Yugoslavia in the 1990s. The same would happen to the US were Washington to extend its power in the manner Brussels continues to do today. Unlike the Stars and Stripes, no one reveres or adores the European flag. No one would fight for it; only against it.

No one wants a United States of Europe

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

The bookies seem to think the UK will stay in the EU
source

The majority of the political parties and the TPTB want the UK to stay in the EU.

So regardless of what joe public thinks or votes I am certain the UK will not be leaving the EU.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul

The bookies seem to think the UK will stay in the EU
source

The majority of the political parties and the TPTB want the UK to stay in the EU.

So regardless of what joe public thinks or votes I am certain the UK will not be leaving the EU.

You may or may not be right. The regret will not be mine! But what do the people want is the question!

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

You may or may not be right. The regret will not be mine! But what do the people want is the question!

The people want what is best for them naturally, whether they know what's best is another matter...
What with all the BS that gets put about. There's also so much apathy in so much of the population, due to all the said BS mostly. Personally I think the political game is just smoke and mirrors really and has been for a long time now.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

.... the Scots ... that will keep us in.

OMFG if this happens.

Such sweet sweet karma.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Never mind the main thrust of the *Stay In* campaign that to leave the

EU is a "leap in the dark" or "the unknown"

This IS FACT >>>>

uk.reuters.com...

And IF we stay IN that is what we will eventually end up with .... cant

argue with how they treat fellow member states

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia
EU is a "leap in the dark" or "the unknown"

I don't think I would describe it as a leap into the dark/unknown anymore.
I would say it as a leap into undemocratic hell.
As you pointed out, what happened in Greece has proven that.

The Greek people voted 61% in a referendum rejecting the EU bailout/austerity package, then only a few weeks later the EU forced an even more heavy austerity package!!

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
One layer of big government and bureaucracy is bad enough. Why do we need to pay £55 million a day for ANOTHER layer?

We don't pay that.
edit on 8/5/2016 by moniker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: ForteanOrg

I heard there is a secret treaty being passed immediately after the referendum banning fish and chips, only snails or frogs legs and chips! The legs have to be no less than 10mm thick and a prescribed curvature as well

*Edit*
Only teasing, the treaty is just banning the word chips, they will have to be referred to as French fries at the point of sale!

Not at all, the dish will still consist of deep fried potato and deep fried fish, but will be named as "Deep fried fish with deep fried potato with salt and vinegar".

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigyin

.... the Scots ... that will keep us in.

OMFG if this happens.

Such sweet sweet karma.

Why?

It was your own stupid arse country that voted to stay in the union! Us English did not have a vote. IT WAS ALL YOUR OWN CORWALDY DOING!

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Morrad
a reply to: bigyin

For legal purposes we are all classed as British citizens.

That was my only point.

ETA I actually prefer English to British and being a libertarian would like to see a separate English parliament based outside London.

I agree, and likewise I would like to see Greater London as a separate country within the United Kingdom union, with its own parliament (and right to set its own taxes).

posted on May, 8 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigyin
a reply to: 83Liberty

Yes geographically I am all of those which can't be changed. It's a physical fact much like saying I'm Caucasian.

I might be white, but I'm not Caucasian because I'm not from the Caucasus mountains in southern Russia.

top topics

<< 71  72  73    75  76  77 >>

join