It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Referendum 23 June 2016 - Will it be an EU BREXIT or Not?

page: 68
<< 65  66  67    69  70  71 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

I don't know what they are teaching kids in university, but not to look at both sides of the argument prior to voting, seems to be encouraged.

Shame.

I have read somewhere (so no links) That there is a raft of rules and regulations

being held under the table till after the referendum (they are expecting we will

stay) that education is to be hit, history white washed with an EU spin. It will be

if the EU has its way a total white wash and not what it actually was.

My feelings are that more is learnt from "ugly" truths than mediocrity!!

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ForteanOrg

This might explain why each generation believe their era was better. I do it, my parents do it, my grandparents and my great-grandparents did it.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I received this email today and remember it circulated quite a few years ago and it was debunked. It is obviously doing the rounds again.

Pythagorean theorem: …………………………………….24 words.
Lord’s prayer:………………………………………………. 66 words.
Archimedes’ Principle: ……………………………………. 67 words.
10 Commandments: …………………………………….. 179 words.
Gettysburg address: …………………………………….. 286 words.
US Declaration of Independence : ……………….. 1,300 words.
US Constitution with all 27 Amendments: ………. 7,818 words.
EU regulations on the sale of cabbage:……. 26,911 words

edit on 22-4-2016 by Morrad because: grammar correction

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: 83Liberty
I watched Question Time last night I have to say it was AWESOME.

LOL!!
I think we watch telly together!!

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
So according to Barack Obama, if we vote to Leave the EU, "the UK is going to be in the back of the queue" for trade talks with the US.

Thanks Obama for proving the point that if we vote Leave, then we will be saved from TTIP for decades, if not entirely!

Surely that's a good thing for the British people.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   

So according to Barack Obama, if we vote to Leave the EU, "the UK is going to be in the back of the queue" for trade talks with the US.
Thanks Obama for proving the point that if we vote Leave, then we will be saved from TTIP for decades, if not entirely!

Surely that's a good thing for the British people.

I cant figure out what he has to gain by that!? He won't be around when

we leave. ( see that bit of positive thinking)

So what does he get out of poking his nose in another countries business?:

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia
Obviously Cameron begged him to come over and give 'his' opinion.
Quite frankly I think he doesn't know much about the EU especially the negative impacts it has on many of it's nation states.

I wouldn't be surprised if Project Fear had written part of the speech for him, considering he used the phrase "back of queue" rather than 'back of line', which I thought American's say?
edit on 83121bAmerica/ChicagoFri, 22 Apr 2016 16:21:32 -05003016 by 83Liberty because: typo

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Obviously Cameron begged him to come over and give 'his' opinion.

Frankly I'm not buying that!!

Not the bit about Cameron begging .... because I do believe that he has had the

begging bowl out, and he has looked pathetic doing the rounds scratching around

for support ....any support.

But Obama has power so why belittle himself with something that doesn't concern

him and for someone who is so impotently powerless?

Quite frankly I think he doesn't know much about the EU especially the negative impacts it has on many of it's nation states.

That's for sure. Its the politics of *quantity over quality* with the EU.

*28 member nations* .... sounds big and quite grand? but apart from

five or six of them, that carry the whole EU project, the rest are poor, backward,

and of little consequence on the world stage.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Barack Obama tells Scotland: stay united

This is the same as happened during Scottish Referendum. I didn't notice anyone outside of Scotland complain about Obama intervention then. What's the difference ?

Anyway the thing to notice is that he made his first plea/threat in June 2014, 3 months before the vote and then he piped up again with just a few days to go.

So I expect he will be back closer to EU ref to stick his oar in again

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite
Whats your thought on www.pollstation.uk... vote? Now running at over 27000 votes and 79% leave?

I would take that with a pinch of salt to be honest.
It maybe does show that Brexiteers are probably more engaged, more internet savvy or more proactive in this EU debate.

I watched Question Time last night I have to say it was AWESOME. It seemed like the majority of the audience were in favour of a Brexit. Even when the Lib Dem bloke asked the audience would they risk voting leave with all these big financial studies/reports that state we will be worse of financially, and you heard a large collective YES back from the audience. It was truly fantastic! (i've had a look for a clip of it but cant find one unfortunately)

Also this guy was epic...

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Whats your thought on www.pollstation.uk... vote? Now running at over 27000 votes and 79% leave?

I would take that with a pinch of salt to be honest.
It maybe does show that Brexiteers are probably more engaged, more internet savvy or more proactive in this EU debate.

I watched Question Time last night I have to say it was AWESOME. It seemed like the majority of the audience were in favour of a Brexit. Even when the Lib Dem bloke asked the audience would they risk voting leave with all these big financial studies/reports that state we will be worse of financially, and you heard a large collective YES back from the audience. It was truly fantastic! (i've had a look for a clip of it but cant find one unfortunately)

Also this guy was epic...

I get what you say about Pollstation but 27500 votes swinging to 79% OUT is quite a margin regardless of who is the voter and when you consider that is UK wide then surely it is an indicative mood or sign of where things might go! And when you consider that there is only 15% remain then for that to be turned around would require something rather special. And by the time we get to the 23 June the number of voters will be in the region of 100,000 and that is no mean poll. Personally I believe that the leave vote on 23 June will be 53-57% taking into numerous factors and caveats! If I am right then I collect from the bookies and we leave the EU. Now that will be a good and proud day!

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Weekly review from Vote Leave

This week, the Government fired some of its biggest guns – a Treasury report and a visit from Barack Obama – to try and blackmail the British people into voting to stay in the EU. We were expecting this to happen, but not this soon.

Downing Street are clearly panicking. They know that the Prime Minister’s renegotiation has not convinced the British public. They are now trying to scare people into voting to stay in the EU by doing down Britain’s economy and our place in the world.

It is hypocritical of Obama to want the UK to stay in an unreformed EU

Barack Obama’s endorsement of David Cameron’s campaign to keep the UK in the European Union will be seen as a success by Downing Street’s IN campaign. However, in doing so the US President is guilty of some rank hypocrisy.

Mr Obama is asking the people of the United Kingdom to accept things that he would never dare ask the American people to accept. Until President Obama is prepared to have an open border with Mexico, a supreme court in Toronto and the US budget set by the Organisation of American states, many people will feel that he should mind his own business.

President Obama thinks it is in America's interests for the UK to stay in the EU – but what is good for US politicians is not necessarily good for the British people. We want more international cooperation after we Vote Leave, but the EU is not fit for purpose, and cannot cope with the multiple crises we face – like terrorism, Syria, and mass migration.

Even Barack Obama agrees that the EU is failing. Downing Street will be much less happy with the warning he issued standing next to the Prime Minister at their press conference: ‘We consider it a major national security issue that you have uncontrolled migration into Europe.’

We agree that uncontrolled immigration into the EU is a threat to national security. That’s why it is safer to take back control so that we can stop terrorist suspects from Europe coming into the UK.

This referendum is the most significant political decision facing our country in a generation. The British public should not be swayed by the views of foreign politicians who have their own interests – rather than those of the British public – at heart.

Treasury report doesn’t stand up to scrutiny

The Government started off their week of desperation with some very dodgy figures from George Osborne who claimed that the UK would be worse off outside the EU. Treasury projections are rarely correct over 14 months, but this week the Chancellor tried to hoodwink the British public with a forecast looking 14 years ahead.

Unsurprisingly, Mr Osborne’s figures have been widely criticised, being described as ‘simple minded’ www.thesun.co.uk... by a former Governor of the Bank of England, ‘not true’ and ‘questionable and probably not particularly helpful’ www.bbc.co.uk... by the BBC’s Reality Check, ‘spurious’ and ‘scaremongering’ www.dailymail.co.uk... by two former Chancellors, and ‘beneath contempt’. Even one Remain supporter was moved to write: ‘Sometimes, George Osborne’s dishonesty is simply breathtaking’ www.telegraph.co.uk... – read and share his full demolition of the deceptions behind Osborne’s report here. blogs.spectator.co.uk...

Significantly, the Treasury’s statistics are based on the Government breaking its promise to reduce net migration to the tens of thousands. In their desperation to keep us in an unreformed EU, George Osborne and David Cameron are ripping up manifesto promises and exposing their contempt for the British electorate. We should take back control and Vote Leave.

As Michael Gove www.voteleavetakecontrol.org... said in an important speech earlier this week, the UK has a bright future after we Vote Leave. We can become a democratic, self-governing nation which enjoys economic growth, global influence and the ability to control our own borders. We can negotiate a new relationship with the EU based on free trade and friendly co-operation. As Mr Gove concluded, voting to leave will be a ‘galvanising, liberating, empowering moment of patriotic renewal’.

edit on 23-4-2016 by RP2SticksOfDynamite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigyin
Barack Obama tells Scotland: stay united

This is the same as happened during Scottish Referendum. I didn't notice anyone outside of Scotland complain about Obama intervention then. What's the difference ?

Anyway the thing to notice is that he made his first plea/threat in June 2014, 3 months before the vote and then he piped up again with just a few days to go.

So I expect he will be back closer to EU ref to stick his oar in again
He can stick pipe his ass to his mouth for threatening the UK the way he did. Mr change is a puppet for the real PTB.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

He didn't threaten the UK at all. He simply set out how trade deals work. You seek to do business with the many, rather than the few.

I am actually rather disappointed with the response on ATS about his comments. I thought here we prided ourselves on critical thinking (or, at least more critical thinking than the "average" person). Instead, we get knee jerk reactionism to a very basic economic point.

Perhaps it is because people feel so strongly about the In/Out campaign, after all, even the best of us (as a species) can be reactionary at times. But for so many to lose the plot over what is such a basic economic point is actually both suprising and worrying.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   
The Greek crisis hasn't disappeared, its just gone on the back burner. Greece

risks defaulting on its 3.5 billion euro debt pay out just weeks after the June

23rd UK referendum vote.

Greece is once again on the brink .... However the status of the

EU is significantly different. Last year EU officials were confident that if no

bailout could be agreed, they could at the very least isolate Greece to ensure

its impact on the Eurozone would be minimal.

( UK voters would do well to note what their future

within the EU might look like under the dictatorial steam roller of the EU.
)

Two major events have occurred since then .....

The migrant crisis and

Brexit

The prospect of Brexit looms large over the EU. Top officials have dedicated

their full attention to it they realise the Greek crisis re-entering

public consciousness could have catastrophic consequences. There are

rumours that all talks and publicity about the Greek deal will be side lined

for the entire month of June

So they've got the big guns out .... LOL!!

Make no mistake the Greek crisis is not going away - and neither is the

EU's poorly veiled desperation to keep it in the 'single' currency ....

No matter the cost

leave.eu...

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   

I am not against the EU because I believe in a British empire but what I don't agree with is laws being passed in Brussels that we have little say in.

If 'having a say in the EU' is that important to you, then why do you leave? You won't have ANY say in the matter anymore if you do - and will still have to agree to most if not all EU legislation anyway.

Nor do I wish to see any more immigrants enter the UK. Can't you imagine the future problems in the UK if we remain. You underestimate the young and their ability to see through the bull.

Likewise I might say "can you imagine the future problems in the UK if you leave". Being deprived of a valuable workforce, having to pay taxes to import EU goods and again to export yours, being required to ask for a visum if you want to visit the continent - and having to stand at the back of the line when you seek work in the EU.

About the young: they mostly want to stay IN. They have been raised with the Internet and hence don't really get why older folks still think it is important in what "nation" you are born. They have friends all over the world and talk to them as you did in your youth with the blokes in your neighbourhood. Nations are a thing of the past to our young - thank Goodness for that! - they are used to an open Europe, in which you can travel freely, in which rules and regulations are agreeable and comparable and in which you can talk to almost everybody in English (even in France, you Brits should count your blessings). Young people surely understand there should be Laws, but they can't really wrap their heads around it why the Law in France should be different from the Law in Danmark. Interests of nations do not bother them - interests of people do.

Now, back to the issue of colouring the past brighter than it was: remember - you can, after all, most young people can't nor do they care - so, remember: the Brits BEGGED to enter the freemarket, they ran a weak economy and there was a lot of poverty in the UK. After they joined, they caught up quickly which brought them to the current (EU) standard. They will fall back just as quickly if they leave, mark my words. It's not what I'd like to see happen, I love the UK.

Across my extended family of all ages and persuasions and varying education levels the vote is approx. 60% OUT. We are leaving the EU so I would get used to it!

You may or may not leave the EU - your family and friends may simply SAY they agree to the Brexit just to stop the argument. Let's wait and see.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

He didn't threaten the UK at all. He simply set out how trade deals work. You seek to do business with the many, rather than the few.

I am actually rather disappointed with the response on ATS about his comments. I thought here we prided ourselves on critical thinking (or, at least more critical thinking than the "average" person). Instead, we get knee jerk reactionism to a very basic economic point.

Perhaps it is because people feel so strongly about the In/Out campaign, after all, even the best of us (as a species) can be reactionary at times. But for so many to lose the plot over what is such a basic economic point is actually both suprising and worrying.
Yes he did. He said that if we leave the UK then we would be at the back of the queue/line with regards to the US. Which means we had better remain or else. That is a veiled threat!

He has no right to interfere in a purely UK vote and to suggest we continue to sacrifice our sovereignty to Brussels is down right hypocritical!

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ForteanOrg

I am not against the EU because I believe in a British empire but what I don't agree with is laws being passed in Brussels that we have little say in.

If 'having a say in the EU' is that important to you, then why do you leave? You won't have ANY say in the matter anymore if you do - and will still have to agree to most if not all EU legislation anyway.

Nor do I wish to see any more immigrants enter the UK. Can't you imagine the future problems in the UK if we remain. You underestimate the young and their ability to see through the bull.

Likewise I might say "can you imagine the future problems in the UK if you leave". Being deprived of a valuable workforce, having to pay taxes to import EU goods and again to export yours, being required to ask for a visum if you want to visit the continent - and having to stand at the back of the line when you seek work in the EU.

About the young: they mostly want to stay IN. They have been raised with the Internet and hence don't really get why older folks still think it is important in what "nation" you are born. They have friends all over the world and talk to them as you did in your youth with the blokes in your neighbourhood. Nations are a thing of the past to our young - thank Goodness for that! - they are used to an open Europe, in which you can travel freely, in which rules and regulations are agreeable and comparable and in which you can talk to almost everybody in English (even in France, you Brits should count your blessings). Young people surely understand there should be Laws, but they can't really wrap their heads around it why the Law in France should be different from the Law in Danmark. Interests of nations do not bother them - interests of people do.

Now, back to the issue of colouring the past brighter than it was: remember - you can, after all, most young people can't nor do they care - so, remember: the Brits BEGGED to enter the freemarket, they ran a weak economy and there was a lot of poverty in the UK. After they joined, they caught up quickly which brought them to the current (EU) standard. They will fall back just as quickly if they leave, mark my words. It's not what I'd like to see happen, I love the UK.

Across my extended family of all ages and persuasions and varying education levels the vote is approx. 60% OUT. We are leaving the EU so I would get used to it!

You may or may not leave the EU - your family and friends may simply SAY they agree to the Brexit just to stop the argument. Let's wait and see.
I beg to differ I'm afraid. And yes we will have to wait and see. I have already refined my prediction for the 23rd June to 53-57% vote to leave!

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

You say "53-57 percent" - they say TWENTY..
edit on 23-4-2016 by ForteanOrg because: he had a bug in his url

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ForteanOrg

You say "53-57 percent" - they say TWENTY..
And you trust and believe Bloomberg. Up to you.

top topics

<< 65  66  67    69  70  71 >>

join