It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Referendum 23 June 2016 - Will it be an EU BREXIT or Not?

page: 111
<< 108  109  110    112  113  114 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheShippingForecast
Trident as a burglar alarm ?

Facetious much??

Read it in context.

And yes, there really did use to be a Royal Scottish Navy, way back, The Great Michael and not much else lol.

Very, very way back....

There hasn't been a Scottish navy since after the 'act of union' in 1707, when

it transferred to the *Royal Navy*!

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigyin

The Scottish government wants to get rid of Trident.

That's no secret .... However what does an independent Scotland intend to

do when some jumped up 'power' starts sabre rattling at them?

Hide behind the rest of Britain's nuclear strength?

It also wants to take what it believes is Scotland's share of the conventional armed forces and create the Scottish Defence Force.

I trust they will only be taking the Scots personel? I wonder will there

be enough Scots in total to create a *Scottish Defence Force*

The White Paper, produced by the Holyrood administration, says it would have an annual defence budget of £2.5bn and at the point of independence it would have a land force of 3,500 troops and 1,200 reservists. As well as artillery, engineering and medical capabilities, it would also include an aviation unit with six helicopters. The maritime forces would include two frigates from the Royal Navy's current fleet, four mine counter measure vessels and two offshore patrol vessels. It would also have other patrol boats and support ships and it would need 2,000 personnel and 200 reservists. For the air force, it would have a quick reaction alert squadron of 12 Typhoon jets; a tactical transport squadron of six Hercules aircraft and a helicopter squadron. That section of the defence set up would need 2,000 personnel and 300 reservists. The aim would be to have a total force of 15,000 personnel with 5,000 reservists across the three services after 10 years of independence.

Holyrood administration may have drawn it up! doesn't mean they are

entitled to or will get any part of UK defence capability.

Its not the time for *taking your ball back* in the middle of the game and

taking it back to your own back yard! lol!!

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Sevicemen recruited in Scotland represent a higher percentage across all 3 services than their populations, typically 10-12% of the army, 7-9% of the navy and similar for the RAF. So manning the Scottish armed forces wouldn't be an issue. How the handover of forces would be achieved on I-Day I don't know, I assume the Scottish regiments would complete their tours and then be repatriated. Scots tend to be grunts, with English men being officers. That's due to the influence of the English public school and class systems rather than any lack of ability on the part of Scots. Better chance of promotion in the Scottish armed forces then.

It would be to England's own advantage to ensure that Scottish airspace and seas were well defended, otherwise England itself would be vulnerable if there was a "northern gap". If Scotland was vulnerable to Russian bombers or warships, for example, England would be too. That wouldn't be acceptable to NATO.and would be the driving force to ensure that kit was fairly divided.

Trident and the other nuclear submarines would be an issue. Scotland wouldn't want them. New facilities would have to be constructed down south or the capability would be lost.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheShippingForecast
a reply to: UKTruth

You're going to send English troops to invade Glasgow ?

I think that'll be your Stalingrad lol

Hardly - we'll just parachute in whisky before hand and attack when they are all pissed and alseep

EDIT : I understand that might take a lot of time.
edit on 20/7/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

The Scottish government wants to get rid of Trident.

That's no secret .... However what does an independent Scotland intend to

do when some jumped up 'power' starts sabre rattling at them?

Hide behind the rest of Britain's nuclear strength?

Well what would Ireland do, or Iceland, or Norway, or Denmark, or Finland or any of the hundreds and hundreds of countries that don't have nukes ?

Only England seems to think it is important enough to need such an obscene and expensive weapon.

Why would anyone want to invade England anyway. You really think Russia or China give a flying f@@k about England?

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Apparently....

There's a loophole in Article 50 that lets Britain back into the EU whenever we want

www.msn.com...

However..........

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   
get this................rubbish

May gets Hollande ultimatum: free trade depends on free movement

www.msn.com...

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Here is one benefit to the UK economy from BREXIT vote

'Staycation' boost to UK economy as millions of families shun foreign holidays

www.msn.com...

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

Yes it's about time some of our holiday towns got a lift.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Establishment are pushing very very hard to get us to not leave EU

Owen Smith being punted as next Labour leader is saying he wants to stay in EU and the next election will be a second referendum which will ask if people are really sure they want to leave EU.

BBC are running Corbyn into the ground at every opportunity. I do hope he hangs on even if it means the end of Labour. I'm no supporter of Labour but I do admire people who speak their mind and stick to what they believe whether I agree with it or not.

Although Theresa may is saying she will trigger article 50 I don't think she will. Probably blame the Scot Nats for holding things up haha.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   
This is amazing but futile. The British people have voted! Bit late and what a piss take it is! They know the EU in trouble
and if the UK leaves it the beginning o the end! That should be enough of a warning sign!

This is insulting when you consider that they were not prepared to give jack before the BREXIT ref.

EU considers migration ‘emergency brake’ for UK for up to seven years

www.msn.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Establishment are pushing very very hard to get us to not leave EU

Owen Smith being punted as next Labour leader is saying he wants to stay in EU and the next election will be a second referendum which will ask if people are really sure they want to leave EU.

BBC are running Corbyn into the ground at every opportunity. I do hope he hangs on even if it means the end of Labour. I'm no supporter of Labour but I do admire people who speak their mind and stick to what they believe whether I agree with it or not.

Although Theresa may is saying she will trigger article 50 I don't think she will. Probably blame the Scot Nats for holding things up haha.
They cant stop it! The people have spoken. TPTB know that they should not go against such a vote and what the likely consequences could be!

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
This is interesting...

Discounters Bag Shopper Records After EU Vote

www.msn.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Who here is glad we left now that Europeans in Flames?

Seems we left just in time before the barbarian hoards kicked off!

As useul the UK survives.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite
This is amazing but futile. The British people have voted! Bit late and what a piss take it is! They know the EU in trouble

But they apparently don't know that the UK is in trouble.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: moniker

The UK is in a better position than the rest of the EU, not in the Eurozone, not in the Schengen area, juxtaposed border controls with Belgium and France, an island nation, yeah I'm glad I was born here out of anywhere else I could have been in Europe, or much of the world.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

originally posted by: moniker

The UK is in a better position than the rest of the EU, not in the Eurozone, not in the Schengen area, juxtaposed border controls with Belgium and France, an island nation, yeah I'm glad I was born here out of anywhere else I could have been in Europe, or much of the world.
Concur!

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I watched an amateur production of HMS Pinafore at school, pretty good, although I'm not a big fan of musicals.

If the song was "He is a Brit" that would be perfect as I am Welsh with a British passport living in my adopted nation England.
Nowhere else would I wish to have been born than on this island - We've got it relatively good here and if our exit from the EU goes smoothly then who knows, the UK could be the envy of many countries.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand
It's question of scanning. The tune requires a word of three syllables.
Incidentally, that Australian production is brilliant. I recorded it off TV a couple of years back.

new topics

top topics

<< 108  109  110    112  113  114 >>

join