It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen King's It being remade...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

A new iteration of It entered development a couple of years ago with True Detective helmer Cary Fukunaga co-writing and directing, but as the project came close to production, the filmmaker departed over creative differences. Now, Mama helmer Andy Muscietti is onboard to direct, and filming is set to get underway later this year.

collider.com...

Creative differences? How hard you guys plan on butchering the original, this movie terrified me as a child. One day I was watching Bozo the clown and it was good.

The next I saw Stephen Kings It.

F Bozo and his pals, they will eat your soul.

Stephen King’s work is the stuff of nightmares. He’s created some of the most iconic characters of horror. However, it’s possible that no character has quite grabbed hold of our psyche like Pennywise the clown, the personification of the demon from King’s seminal tale It. While the cinematic adaptation of the story has been taking its sweet time coming to the screen, it now appears that when the film finally does come crawling out of the shower drain, it will do so with the intention of scaring the hell out of you.

www.cinemablend.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I'm all for a remake. So long as it's in the proper hands. I sincerely hope they do not botch this up. The original film did nothing for me - except the occasional lingering thoughts that creep in to this day.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Beep Beep Lysergic!

We all float down here

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: PhantomOrion

Tim Curry made for a good pennywise though

It's a shame that apart from The Shining, Shawshank and Misery most of the adaptions of Kings novels have been disappointing

I was looking forward the new version of The Stand but The Stand: Feature Film Adaptation of Stephen King Novel on Hold The mini series in the 90's was a pretty decent attempt at it though

James Herbert was a cracking horror writer too, shame none of his books have ever been given a good chance in the movie form

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

There's a windup dancing porcelain clown here nicknamed Horrabin after an evil clown from a book. He likes to wind himself up in the middle of the night and dance. I still haven't come up with a mundane explanation as to how this happens when nobody/nothing touches him --yuck-- and he's high up on a tall bookshelf. I'll figure out how to post pictures to show ya.

As PhantomOrion says, I wouldn't mind a remake of IT as long as its done well and not ruined with cheeseball cgi. Both the book and the movie freaked me out.

Hope this works.

edit on 20-2-2016 by MaryaNoxx because: Add pic

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

Yes, he did. Tim Curry was perfect for the role.

Is it possible for him to reprise the role? If not, who would be the best actor to take up the baton?

Will Ferrel? Andy Samberg?

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: MaryaNoxx

Gosh that's creepy! May wanna go have it checked for, uh, spiritual influences?

Reminds me of that Raggedy Ann doll under house arrest for spiritual influences.

*shivers*

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

James Herbert was a cracking horror writer too, shame none of his books have ever been given a good chance in the movie form

Actually, at least 5 films have been made from Herbert's work.
Wiki

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhantomOrion

Yes, he did. Tim Curry was perfect for the role.

Is it possible for him to reprise the role? If not, who would be the best actor to take up the baton?

Will Ferrel? Andy Samberg?

I think Curry actually requires the use of a wheel chair now after a stroke in 2013

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I'd personally go for either

James Spader
Steve Buscemi
Peter Stormare
or just for potential creepy voice, Seth MacFarlane

My favourite would be Spader though, he's got a lot of variety in his acting and he could easily pull off a creepy psychotic clown

a reply to: Klassified

Yeah I know, it's why I said a good chance as they weren't exactly stellar attempts at adaptions

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I'm not sure that anyone could do Pennywise justice after Curry, but then a lot of people didn't think True Grit would ever work after Wayne took on Cogburn.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: MaryaNoxx

Not sure IT is a good idea, since the movie crippled a generation when it comes to Clowns..

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

James Spader would be awesome! Those are all great possibilities.

There is always the CGI route. I can't think of his name - guy who did Planet of the Apes.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Andy Serkis ... but I don't think he's a Pennywise. Pennywise is creepy precisely because he seem like the standard clown with that faint edge of menace right up until he pops out the big, sharp, pointy teeth. That's why so many people hate clowns. Curry made them scary without being obviously scary.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Voice wise Serkis would be good, but like others said CGI would be a bad move, there's just no need for it apart from he turns into the spider and for that I would hire the CGI crew who created Shelob for Lord of the Rings as she was a fantastic CGI spider.

And I can't believe I missed out "The Mist" for King film I actually enjoyed, still haven't read the book but I thought the film was really good especially the ending

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Stephen king does have a knack for making the ordinary, even mundane, in our lives into terrifying objects.

I think his success is because, deep down inside, we know it is the things we think are innocent or safe, that are the most likely to do us in.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   

I thought the Green Mile came out pretty decently too. James Herbert was indeed a good writer,i read quite a few of his books growing up.Dean Koontz has also come up with some decent stories,but overall his style of writing irritates me. Midnight was the book of his i enjoyed most. Very creepy indeed.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
'IT' is one of those TV experiences (a 2 part miniseries) that everyone seems to say, "Oh my god, that was so scary!".
In reality, part 1 had the decent stuff. The group of friends as children.

Part 2, when they were adults and all met up again was simply ATROCIOUS!
So so so so incredibly bad.
It was terrifying, just because how bad it was.
Painful.
This is the kind of thing that SCREAMS for a remake in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I have yet to see ANYTHING in film that even comes remotely close to how good the books were by comparison

I'm a big fan of the movies too, but lets be honest here.

Sigh, Since I'm a fan I'll watch it anyways....

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Creative differences? How hard you guys plan on butchering the original

I really do hope they make the re-make more like the actual book than the original movie. Don't get me wrong, I loved the original movie, but as amusing as it was it never scared me. I actually loved every scene with Pennywise. I looked forward to every appearance. Shortly after watching the movie I decided to read the book, and man oh man there was a lot of stuff in that book the movie didn't/couldn't show back then. That's when I realized that as much as I loved the movie, it was "made for tv", and it showed.

I'm excited for this remake no matter what, but I will be more excited if they stick truer to the book. I'll explode in glee if they somehow manage to get Tim Curry to be Pennywise again. I feel the same way with him that I do with Mark Hamill's Joker. Doesn't matter how good someone else is at the job, they'll never compare to the great one. ^_^

top topics

<<   2 >>

join