It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Albert Woodfox , How Can This be Tolerated ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   
How ?
I am new to this story so I guess feel its full force , a person has spent 43 years of his life in solitary confinement mostly spent in his cell and there is no public outcry ?
A person in 21st century America had the murder charge against him thrown out of court twice and yet he remained behind bars in solitary ?
It's taken since June 9th 2015 when a judge said he should be freed to now actually let him go ?

The story I've read today has angered me hence this rant , I am genuinely angry and disbelieving that such a thing can be allowed to happen in the United States , this is a gross breach of human rights and something I would expect to read happening in a third world country NOT in a country that professes itself to be the leader of the free world !
www.bbc.co.uk...
Where is the anger ,how many other Albert Woodfox's are out there ? are we to just assume this is an isolated incident and no other victims of your frankly crazy justice system are out there ?
This shouldn't just be brushed off as "oh he just a bad guy" , he is a human being and that kind of treatment if done to an animal would cause an outcry , be angry because this story is unacceptable in a civilized nation.

(Very angry emoji)

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The Prison Industrial Complex in the States is 3rd World.

The food in Lebanon is 1st World.

It's a buzzword to help people turn their nose up at others...

No one is clean.

43 years is a long time, what did he do while behind bars that caused that much solitary confinement?

It wouldn't happen to an Angel that's for sure.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
You don't kill prison guards or associate yourself with people who do. If you break that rule ... your time is going to be very hard indeed.

You might want to not join extremist organizations like the Black Panthers if you want to be treated like a 'normal' criminal either.

Just sayin's all.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Although two courts threw the charge of murdering the prison guard out and he still professes his innocence to you he is still guilty ?
As for being a member of an extremist organization perhaps any of us could of wound up in those shoes , one mans extremist ....

To take 43 years of a mans life there really needs to be some good reason , to keep that man in solitary confinement for 43 years there really can be no justification for that torture.

edit on 20-2-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
Although two courts threw the charge of murdering the prison guard out and he still professes his innocence to you he is still guilty ?

I don't know what he's guilty of. That might not be the larger part of this story.

If you don't fit in society, if you don't want to fit in society, if you go around breaking laws, if you draw down unnecessary fire upon yourself ... being consigned to solitary confinement may well be an expected outcome of events.

Woodfox had a bad history before being placed in solitary confinement. Are we just supposed to overlook that?

I think the only reason TPTB let him out was to be a burden on anyone who wants to provide an old-timer continuing support. And that ... makes me laff.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Woodfox had a bad history before being placed in solitary confinement. Are we just supposed to overlook that?

We are supposed by law to treat people like Human beings , to confine someone to solitary confinement for 43 years is barbaric and the cruelest form of torture due to its duration , we are a social animal we need the company of others of our kind , to deprive a man of that is inhumane and a crime against the person , perhaps a crime against humanity.

The fact he was in prison is not the issue here it's the terms of his incarceration , the flagrant breach of court rulings and last but not least the lack of compassion for a man who wasn't allowed to go to his mothers funeral ... inexcusable.

edit on 20-2-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   

We are supposed by law to treat people like Human beings , to confine someone to solitary confinement for 43 years is barbaric and the cruelest form of torture due to its duration , we are a social animal we need the company of others of our kind , to deprive a man of that is inhumane and a crime against the person , perhaps a crime against humanity.

Well ... where does it end? By all rights, if he was guilty of murdering another human being ... he rightfully should have been put to death himself. Instead, he walks away convicted of manslaughter.

If the Death Penalty is off the table ... okay. But, anything else should be the implied concession. That phrase, "Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile."

The fact he was in prison is not the issue here it's the terms of his incarceration , the flagrant breach of court rulings and last but not least the lack of compassion for a man who wasn't allowed to go to his mothers funeral ... inexcusable.

I'd almost be willing to concede a compassionate visit to the funeral ... but ... IIRC, he escaped once before, didn't he?
edit on 2022016 by Snarl because: Bad formatting ... on me

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

You're ignoring the crux of the matter Snarl , 43 years in solitary , if that happened in Iran the media would be all over it but in the good old US we'll just walk on by and look the other way.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

You're ignoring the crux of the matter Snarl , 43 years in solitary , if that happened in Iran the media would be all over it but in the good old US we'll just walk on by and look the other way.

I'm not ignoring it. What else are you gonna do? Kill him? Put him back out in society and just warn everyone to 'watch out for him'?

Where does it end?

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

You don't keep him in solitary , you allow him and the others jailed along with him freedom to associate.
If people belong in prison then put them in prison but at least treat them with some humanity , a period of solitary is a lesson but 43 years is nothing short of torture , try to imagine if the last 43 years of your life were sat looking at your cell.

I'm not soft and think our prison system is a joke but yours is just crazy , check out prison song by System of a Down ...they're right.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

You are right 43 years of solitude is inhumane and a large injustice, and should be shunned; but in this society we say," lock them up throw away the key" some of us encourage or lightly encourage rape in certain situations (typical for rapists) which is a backward thought to begin with.

It would almost be more humane if we are willing to isolate a person whilst they rot away for 43 years that we would have the "humanity" to just put a bullet into him. If we are not going to kill him, then we should rehabilitate him not torture him, I could go on and on .

basically for heinous sex crimes and certain murders I am a supporter of the death penalty and for almost all other crimes I am a supporter of lighter sentencing (much lighter than we have now) and rehabilitation/education to help change the inflow and revolving door of the justice system, to actually do what sentencing is for. It used to be the "Texas department of corrections" now it's the "Texas department of criminal justice" the influx became to much, as laws became more strict and they realized they couldn't in good conscience remain with "corrections"
edit on 20-2-2016 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

You don't keep him in solitary , you allow him and the others jailed along with him freedom to associate.

If, during your proposed period of association, a plot is developed to kill an employee of the prison ... and then carried out ... What? Just let them keep doing it over and over and over?

No need to answer. We're not going to reach an agreement. My bad.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

No need to answer. We're not going to reach an agreement.

There may be no need but I will , we rarely do agree mate but that's all well and good.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

No need to answer. We're not going to reach an agreement.

There may be no need but I will , we rarely do agree mate but that's all well and good.

Cheers, brother.

If everybody agreed to everything on these boards, I'd lose interest and leave.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

You do understand, that the Black Panther movement that he was a part of pushed the limits of what some aspects of society would accept?

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I do understand that but does guilt by association warrent the punishment he received ?

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The system is broken. That's how. It's really nothing new in this country.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I was thinking about this this morning watching it on the news , I think it would have driven many people mad being locked up that long .

And the other guy who was part of the Angola 3 who got out last year died 2 days later poor sod

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join