It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New 'Superman' crystals can store data for billions of years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   
SOURCE: CNN Money

Snippet:

Remember the memory crystals in the "Superman" movies? Well, something similar is already a reality here on Earth. Researchers in the U.K. have developed a way of storing digital data inside tiny structures contained in glass. The storage technology is so stable and safe that it can survive for billions of years, scientists at the University of Southampton said this week.

This is not Hitachi's : Hitachi's New Quartz Plate - Store Data for 100+ Million Years from 2012 this is a brand new information from South Hampton yesterday. SOURCE: www.southampton.ac.uk...

Using nanostructured glass, scientists from the University’s Optoelectronics Research Centre (ORC) have developed the recording and retrieval processes of five dimensional (5D) digital data by femtosecond laser writing

We can send the entire of human created data to the Moon for permanent storage so when we wipe ourselves from existence perhaps some more fortunate intelligent species will learn of our existence from our archives.
edit on 0110110101 by machineintelligence because: added video

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   
If they know how to access them. I wonder what we have destroyed because we thought it was something else (or nothing) but actually just couldn't access it.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ExNihiloRed

Right. Imagine how much data could be stored in say a crystal skull?

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Pretty cool.

I wonder what other applications this can be used for?

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Sir, unless it is a sequence of a child's DNA, I say contain the cancer of human nature to this stratosphere.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

Here is another longer video that goes into a bit more detail.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I found the original paper from the research about which these articles were written about. Here it is: PDF www.orc.soton.ac.uk...

Just a couple of pages.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

Quick, everyone dig into your crystal collections. The secret to life, the universe, and everything has to be stored on one of them! Teleportation, immortality, make Gold from lead, the true story of Jesus, how the planet was seeded by aliens, its on one of these dammit!!!!

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 02:30 AM
link   

I had the same idea in reverse

It made me wonder how we could send stuff into space and make it recognisable as a data archive? The same for prospective ET civs huh? They could send out lots of archives/teachers/data encyclopaedias and have them all fall at the feet of intelligences that don't recognise what they are. The Black Stone of Medina lol.

originally posted by: AmericanRealist

Quick, everyone dig into your crystal collections. The secret to life, the universe, and everything has to be stored on one of them! Teleportation, immortality, make Gold from lead, the true story of Jesus, how the planet was seeded by aliens, its on one of these dammit!!!!

Rick Doty and Bill Moore were saying that ^^^ back in the 1980s and 1990s.

They claimed we had a 'yellow book' that was a crystal device containing the recording of all human history. Iirc they added the kicker about aliens being Jesus and creating all the religious figures.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 02:58 AM
link   

S&F for a great bit of information.

Had to smile at your idea of sending it to the moon, I rather suspect with the way the world's going Mars might be a better bet. Perhaps someone who finds this little lot will not make the same mistakes our civilisation did, but we all love to reinvent the wheel don't we?

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 03:13 AM
link   

My thoughts exactly because I firmly believe we have had a mighty, advanced civilisation or civilisations in the past because the way the pyramids and other stone structures were built and the technology used to do that has vanished.

When you think about it information comes to us on our past either through the written word as on papyrus and fortunately on clay tablets. The only other enigma we have is as Machineinelligence pointed out is the crystal skulls.

Be great if in the light of this technology they could be examined and tested to see if they contain information that we can access today.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

It reminds me of this clip of Nassim Haramein discussing Laser Cut Stones at an Egyptian temple older than mankind is supposed to have been around standing upright never mind laser etching stones.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: machineintelligence

Right. Imagine how much data could be stored in say a crystal skull?

We would have noticed the etches by now

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: everyone

"Nano-structured" and it is data so hard to notice if you do not know what to look for. It might look like nothing more than occlusion in the crystal.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
nvm
edit on America/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoSat, 20 Feb 2016 11:39:50 -06001620162America/Chicago by everyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
It made me wonder how we could send stuff into space and make it recognizable as a data archive? The same for prospective ET civs huh? They could send out lots of archives/teachers/data encyclopedias and have them all fall at the feet of intelligences that don't recognize what they are. The Black Stone of Medina lol.

One pretty standard sci-fi way to do that: build a big fancy temple to house them. Use impressive, cyclopean scale pillars and hallways etc, and cover the walls with picture writing / storytelling. Have people have to work their way to the "center" and so be impressed enough to at least take care of what they find there until maybe they can do something with it. Maybe even try to tell them a lot of what they would need to know with the picture writing.

'They went to all that trouble for...a box of crystals!?!?'

'Maybe they aren't just crystals.'

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
This reminds me of what people say about Lumeria/Atlantis. People say they knew how to store information on crystals, too.

What if we discover that crystals already have information stored on them, maybe even their own personalities and information stored from interacting with ancient people. That would be interesting to discover and would connect science and spirituality even more (Crystal healing/Crystal reading/etc.)

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

One of the drawbacks of search on ATS is that it just don't work. If they had a decent search utility there would be far fewer threads. Maybe that's the point IDK.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
When will it stop ?

top topics

join