It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

S.C. Christian Evangelicals Going for Trump

page: 1

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 05:30 PM
Just read this article and it leads to something thats been going on in my thinking recently in that I feel that there is a cultural shift going on right now within the conservatives of America.

I see it with my own parents, two christian conservatives. I was over for brunch on Valentines day and my mom made some comment regarding the conversation which was not political. She said something something "just use imminent domain" something something. My dad quickly said in a stern voice yet low volume, "let's not talk about politics".
He likes Trump and my my mom likes Cruz.

My dad's the intellectual, scientist, renaissance man and my mom was more traditionally raised in the south. Church, Jesus, etc. She's cool though- don't get me wrong. anyways...

I see it all around and on the internet and I really can see this shift where the conservatives are moving the line over a little closer, actually a lot closer to the left.

Donald Trump, a thrice-married multi-billionaire who is not averse to cussing and once said he was pro-choice, has found an unlikely army of support ahead of Saturday’s hotly contested South Carolina primary: evangelical Christians.

Trump is leading among evangelical Christian voters with 31 percent in the latest Fox News poll, reflecting an unusual splintering of religious conservatives in a race that has been anything but predictable.

“I’ve been in politics for a while, I’ve never seen anything like it,” said Nate Leupp, co-chair of the Republican Party of Greenville and a self-described evangelical voter. “People are getting upset with each other.”

But now there seems to be a schism among more traditionalist evangelicals like Leupp who is “stunned” that his peers are supporting a divorcee with “a foul mouth, a lack of morals,” and the more new age, Pentecostal Christians who see Trump as a man who has sinned but can be saved.

Pretty crazy stuff.

I have been seeing this trend all of my life and imagine it's always been there.

You can see it just in the past 20 years with the churches, one of the main underlying foundations of conservatism. Churches now accept this or that trend in culture that they would have not under any circumstances have accepted a couple of decades ago.
Entertainment as well has guided and fed off this direction that half of this country could be on.

Everything is becoming homogenized around us and the conservative party is no different.

Will this come down to Cruz the evangelical vs Trump the new conservative?

Leupp agrees voters are angry and that there are many evangelicals who are willing to overlook their own moral -- and political -- principles to vote for Trump.

Evangelicals want a winner. “They use that to justify their ‘we don’t need a person with a record, it’s time to back a person without a record’” approach,”

The fact that Fox News is putting up this piece is more mind control warfare.
This paints this narrative as an image of acceptance and gives LIV a channel to swim down.

edit on 19-2-2016 by EmmanuelGoldstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 07:10 PM
I hate to say this as I am a born South Carolinian and pretty much all of my family is from S.C. but if you ask people what the first word that comes to mind about S.C. most people say racist's. Sorry S.C. I love ya and you are a beautiful state and southern hospitality is something special all on its own and the food OMG the food. I clearly know not all South Carolinians are racist's as I nor my family are well at least not on my moms side. I feel like there is like a friendlier gentle racism going on though in some cases like "we will smile, greet each other and be civil even friendly in public then curse your pigment as soon as backs are turned."

It is my own personal opinion that deeply religious people are to a degree slightly more gullible than people who are not. Sorry no disrespect intended for all you heavenly hearted folks out there just an opinion and not a very good one. So S.C. evangelicals going for Trump...not surprised at all not in the least though it would inherently seem like Cruz might be the guy but then again in S.C. his surname might have lost him that nod.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 07:26 PM
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

I think this has been due for some time. The Democrats and Republicans have always shifted to fit the zeitgeist. It may be that the Republicans have been stuck in their trenches for a few years, lulled to sleep by the conservative fervor after 9/11. This affected the Democrats too of course, but they are opposite of Republicans after all, so they still moved to the left (left and right being what we currently call this axis of change).

This lagging will lead to a great defeat of the Republicans in this years election, I predict. But they will recover. Unless, of course, your system of two parties is broken. Or if something even more drastic happens with the world at large. That will still take many years though, I think. Big things fall slowly.

Same goes for what you said about churches. Christianity has always changed too. It's unreasonably to demand that they always stay the same, no matter how comforting that would be to the rest us. If a puritan from the dawn of your nation would be transported to 1920's New York, I'm sure he/she would be appalled and cross himself thrice at the things he saw.

P.S: When you wake up, change your avatar back to the old one. It was much more pleasant to look at.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 08:07 PM
a reply to: Subnatural

Very good points and good advice with the avatar.

I wonder if this shift is going to cost them the election.
That would put us at 12 years of liberal policies.

If things went as planed it would be Bush battling Clinton.

TPTB has got to be sweating bullets right now.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:50 PM
So SC people cam vote for a honest dishonest sinner or a dishonest dishonest sinner

So one is telling the truth and is transparent in their sin but is a politician the other saying how honest they are and how good they are

I would vote for the person most transparent

Hard to choose in politicians

The choice is the least worst, not the best

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 05:54 PM
Why does religion have to blight politics with it's rabid baying nonsensical rubbish all the time?

Simple truth of the matter if you believe in an omnipotent supernatural entity AND you use that in the real world as a basis for voting for government you are not only mentally ill but a threat to the wellbeing of all of us who aren't.

None of us that do not live in la-la land are the least bit impressed by any of these rabid idiots gathering voters by spouting religious nonsense. We are just watching this crap unfold, pretty much speechless.

This is all very useful. Once the smoke clears we will know exactly who the sane people we can give important responsibilities to are, and who the maniacs we need to humor and keep at arms length are.

I think the two lists are pretty distinct already.

top topics