It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: The Supreme Court Won't Block KKK From Highway Cleanup

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
The state of Missouri has lost a Supreme court appeal over its barring of Ku Klux Klan group from participating in its highway cleanup program. The decision that was made without comment means that the KKK must be allowed to participate Missouri's Adopt-A-Highway program. This program which uses volunteers groups to pick up highway garbage and posts signs thanking the groups for their help.

story.news.yahoo.com WASHINGTON - Missouri lost a Supreme Court appeal Monday over its decision to bar a Ku Klux Klan group from a highway litter cleanup program.

The court's rejection, made without comment, means that the KKK chapter must be allowed into Missouri's Adopt-A-Highway program, which is designed to save money by using volunteers for garbage pickup. Volunteer groups are publicly thanked with signs along the highway acknowledging their help.

Every state but Vermont has such a program. States supporting Missouri in the appeal argued that the Supreme Court needed to intervene so that states unwilling to partner with the KKK would not decide to abolish their programs.

The dispute involves a half-mile stretch of Missouri 21 near Potosi, a town of fewer than 3,000 in the eastern part of the state.

A KKK chapter sought permission to pick up trash along the road, but was turned down because the program is not open to groups that discriminate based on race or those that courts have said have a history of violence.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If the Klan wants to pick up trash in their get up, more power to them. In my opinion, it will simply further highlight how off base and ridiculous their group is. The state had argued that its own workers could be mistook for the Klan’s men and be at risk. In addition the groups history of violence was also a reason they had been denied. However, a recent trend seems to be emerging: The lack of comment by the Supreme Court in their rulings.

[edit on 1/10/05 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Well, without advocating breaking any laws at all, I would suggest that the fine residents of Missouri encourage their sense of civic duty by making sure that they had plenty of trash to pick up.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Well, without advocating breaking any laws at all, I would suggest that the fine residents of Missouri encourage their sense of civic duty by making sure that they had plenty of trash to pick up.

Actually that is one of the concerns that the state has expressed. the stretch of highway could start to look like Sanford and Sons. Or worse, people could bring say used diapers or dog dropping and it could also become a health hazzard.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
The state of Missouri has lost a Supreme court appeal over its barring of Ku Klux Klan group from participating in its highway cleanup program. The decision that was made without comment means that the KKK must be allowed to participate Missouri's Adopt-A-Highway program.

Forget about the revulsion one feels about the KKK. Why is a group with masked and secret membership lists allowed to participate?

However, a recent trend seems to be emerging: The lack of comment by the Supreme Court in their rulings.

Obviously they have a right to participate, just as much as say, the United Front for Islamic Jihad has to participate, or the Black Panthers or any other group that is not illegal in and of itself. I don't know about a SC trend here, but why even bother commenting on this decision on their part? The State's case has no merit.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
The 'Adopt a highway' program will be detrimental to the KKK. We all know that out of all the white hooded semi-secret southern organizations in America, the KKK is probably the least liked. Therefore I'm going to have to agree with FredT just imagine all the people that are going to intentionally trash their stretch of highway. It's going to be pretty hard for those Klansmen to keep a tidy road. But hey, if they want to clean up America as opposed to making it the laughing stock of the entire world then...more power to them.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Nygdan's right. I'm certainly not a big fan of the Klan, but there are a lot of folks here who feel the same way about the Republican Party. You wanna ban them from sweeping up the streets?

If an organization is not illegal, how can a govenment entity discriminate against them? I don't know if this would fall under Title VII, but my guess is that Missouri doesn't have a legal leg to stand on.

And why would the citizens of Missouri want to deliberately trash their highway? It'd just make them, not the KKK, look like bozos.

I many not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to clean up the highway!

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Oops! Double post! Probably a plot by the KKK.

[edit on 10-1-2005 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
just imagine all the people that are going to intentionally trash their stretch of highway.

Heck, imagine all the webistes that are going to have their faces and addresses posted as klansmen.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
LOL, I think the KKK would be very helpfull in redrawing the white lines on the road. Can you Imagine the credit-sign that says: "This stretch of highway was cleaned thanks to the volunteers of the Islamic Jihad & the KKK"

...Just watch out for any roadside bombs...

[edit on 10-1-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
If the KKK wanna go clean it up then well done you pointy hatted chaps.

Just nobody call it "blacktop" or they may reconsider

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
If the KKK wanna go clean it up then well done you pointy hatted chaps.

Just nobody call it "blacktop" or they may reconsider

Like I said in my post above, let them make a public spectacle out themselves, I can just see the cars going by throwing eggs and the like at them as the work

new topics

top topics

join