It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Pope goes after Trump for the Wall but there's walls around the Vatican

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

I don't believe I was responding to you but to a member whose information says they are from Germany - ManFromEurope.
edit on 19-2-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

This is possibly one of the most ignorant comparisons I have seen in a while.

It is uncommon to see city walls in certain European cities, areas, which were built during the middle ages in order to protect cities from barbaric tribes and other outside threats, which were common. Most of these were bombed during the WWII, although parts of these still exist and have significant historical importance.

The city walls were not built under the command of the current or previous pope, but nearly or even over 1000 years ago. These are part of the history of Rome, part of the history of Vatican city. Even tearing it down should be considered illegal.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   
CNN says the wall around the Vatican has an open front door.

It's quite common for old European cities to have walls, btw. I was born in a town that had them.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: masqua

That 'open front door' has armed guards, metal detectors, requires identification and if you expect to not wait hours, reservations.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

So does the USA at every entry point. It's historically a better way than walls.

Great Wall of China, Hadrian's Wall, Maginot Line (etc.), never really worked out all that well. The bigger the walls, the bigger the siege weapons.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: masqua
So does the USA at every entry point. It's historically a better way than walls.

I would not, as CNN did, classify the Vatican as having on open front door, which the United States does not have either.

Great Wall of China, Hadrian's Wall, Maginot Line (etc.), never really worked out all that well. The bigger the walls, the bigger the siege weapons.

I stated the same thing in the Trump Supporter thread. Fixed fortifications have been bypassed throughout recorded history.

edit on 19-2-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
I'm pretty sure the comment was directed to me. Perhaps by mistake.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

The fact that people even listing to the pope is hilarious to me. The pope has body guards, an army and a wall; no one said he is UN-christian for protecting himself do they?

Just a thought, Christians do not believe in worshiping false idol, correct? The pope is a man who "is the voice for god" and is worshiped like a god. Even Jesus i believe did not want to be worshiped like a god, so i think if you believe the pope is the "voice of god" you are going against your own religion. No man can tell you how to have a relationship with the creator or claim to speak for He/she/it. It is a personal relationship.

end rant.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

So how are things in Germany where you are not controlling your borders and now your women are being raped and harassed?

Maybe you need some walls too because you can only allow in so many people ... Germany isn't so large either.

I keep reading these things about Germany and Europe yet nobody I know who lives there sees it the same way. Maybe they should go to shonky websites instead of relying on direct experience.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Medicator
For once I agree with Jeb, he just said the pope needs to mind his own business, I was like DAAAAYM ! My thing is, why should the US do anything if Italy gets attacked. Arent there any grown men/women running things there ?

It's in NATO. The US doesn't have a great track record of helping its allies...

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whodathunkdatcheese

originally posted by: ketsuko

So how are things in Germany where you are not controlling your borders and now your women are being raped and harassed?

Maybe you need some walls too because you can only allow in so many people ... Germany isn't so large either.

I keep reading these things about Germany and Europe yet nobody I know who lives there sees it the same way. Maybe they should go to shonky websites instead of relying on direct experience.

I live in the UK and travel to Germany regularly. The immigration problem is real. To suggest otherwise leads me to believe it is you visiting the 'shonky' websites. Now is not a time for burying ones head in the sand.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

CNN says the wall around the Vatican has an open front door.

It's quite common for old European cities to have walls, btw. I was born in a town that had them.

Then the Vatican should have no trouble letting in all the refugees and terrorists then. It's the Christian thing to do. They can afford it. They're the wealthiest city-state in the world.

"Vatican City itself has a rich economy relative to its size. Though data is scarce, and the exact GDP figure is unknown, the CIA estimates Vatican City's 2011 revenue to be $308m. It only has a population of 800 people, meaning its nominal GDP per capita is $365,796 – making it the richest state on the planet by this measure".
www.ibtimes.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

So far, Italy has taken in just under 94,000 refugees.

I doubt there will be enough bedrooms with attached amenities within the Vatican itself, but I'm sure they could feed them all bread, fishes and wine (from water) if they put picnic tables in St. Peters Basilica.

Great idea! What a fun picnic that would be!

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

The Pope was right, it is not a Christian thing to do, building a big wall, and ignoring the suffering of those less fortunate.

The fact that the Vatican does something, tends to mean that it could be evil. Catholicism is about as Christian as a black mass, at a crossroads, under a full moon, involving ritual human sacrifice, so yes, their wall is no better than Trump's. It is MUCH older though, and the current pope had nothing to do with its construction.

Then why has he never said anything about bringing the wall around the vatican down. Seeing as he is so against this sort of thing. Not very smart to say this about trump from the popes own position. Its like that picture of the pope in the pope mobiel with all that bullet proof glass around him with the caption "nothings says having faith better then hiding behind bullet proof glass" *paraphrased.

He so easily condems a american politician for the idea of a wall while he sits behind his own.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: neoholographic
Why is it Christian to protect the Vatican but it's not Christian to protect America?

Now THAT's a beautiful wall! We want one like THAT, Mr. Trump!

The pope might condem trump on plagiarism. That would be a bit of a problem for him though as it would express his own hypocrasy in the matter.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
You already have a wall, tunnels have been built under, are built under and are being built under right as we speak. Want a money drain for a few construction companies? Build that wall.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
This pope is the most hypocritic thing I have seen in a while...

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Great Wall of China,

Worked great for hundreds of years, the reason it finally failed someone INSIDE the wall opened it to the barbarians..

Hadrian's Wall,

Hadrian's wall stood and worked for almost 300 years (120-410) finally crumbling and being abandoned due to economic strain back at home (in rome).

Maginot Line (etc.)

Maginot lined worked soo well, the Germans had to invade another country and go around it....

I don't think you're giving good solid construction the credit it deserves. Those walls stood and served their purpose on their own merits.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
As to it being "unchristian" to build a wall, I don't see where that is an actual point of contention. I am constantly being reminded, the United States is NOT a Christian nation...

So why would anyone (from the U.S.) care what is or isn't Christian in relation to immigration ? Seems to me, just something to argue about for the sake of arguing.

edit on 19-2-2016 by CrawlingChaos because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The popes last visit was to decry drugs, which means theres a plan to rehash the drug war... to keep that dark market money train chugging. Bush senior declared all the nations not having ties with the Vatican the axis of evil... click those ruby slippers because dorothy lives in Rome not kansas. Those 1000 points of light? sorry not 1000 candles on that birthday cake for the 1000 years war these people want to bring hell on earth with their deluded salvationist ideas.

this moral high ground is a farce and the separation of church and state will happen trying to appoint an evangelical to keep the ruse going? fantastic... sorry but your new hatched plan from the egg is just as transparent.

the war you want has already been waged on the inside and judged the heart weighs not a feather and the lead weight is albatrossed around their necks.

tis their own doing and their just deserts as we can be reminded of let them of the eat cake monarch the serpents head has already been cut off and only harm those foolish enough to handle it... so 1000 points of light? choke on it for 1000 years as the hot iron ball one cannot swallow nor spit out as seen in serpents mound draco will not rise and neither will those weighed by a heart they do not have... to drink from the river of life with.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join