It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incredibly loud noise

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Hello fellow ATS 'ers

I was hoping that perhaps a few of you might be able to share some insight on a strange occurrence that happened to me. In fact it happened twice, once about 6 month ago, then again just the other day.

The first time I was laying in bed with my girlfriend in our new house we had recently purchased. We were staying there on a sort of vacation/renovation trip. It was somewhere around 12:30 am and we had just gone to bed. We heard what sounded like something very heavy crash down/or fall over in the basement. Our basement consisted of wall studs, and a few wooden shelving units that came with the house. It was completely empty other than that. We both hopped out of bed ( a little nervously ) and went to inspect the source of the noise. Sadly we came up empty. We couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. It was very strange.

The second time, as I mentioned above, took place about 2 days ago at 1-2pm in an apartment we rent where we work. This time however my girlfriend was at the back of the apartment in the washroom and I was pacing around the living/kitchen half watching something on TV ( which doesn't happen often as I find TV irritating ). During one of my laps, i stopped at the fridge to grab a beer. Once I closed the fridge, something on tv caught my attention and as I started walking toward the living room. I feel I should mention that the kitchen and the living are basically one large room with an island sort of separating them. As soon as I starting walking toward the living room I heard a very loud bang. Loud enough that I felt my ears should have been ringing however they were not. It was about as loud as a gun shot and directly behind me. I felt as though I jumped 10 feet in the air ( like those funny cat videos haha ). My girlfriend almost immediately came to the kitchen to see what the hell I had done to make such a racket. I explained what happened as I was still trying to find the source. She also told me it made her jump, from the back of the apartment. I never did find a source, not even a potential.

Have any of you had similar experience(s) or perhaps have any thoughts on what it could have been?

I can't say for sure if the two sounds were the same or not as I hadn't given the first much thought until the second one happened

Thanks for taking the time!

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Rhodin

The first one sounds like a house settling. I know it "seemed" like it came from the basement, but perhaps it was some beams/joists settling in the floor giving the impression that it was louder and from farther away....?

The second one... I have no idea. A car outside backfiring combing with some weird acoustics in your apartment.

Side Note: I remember many, many years ago I was working in an office on a Saturday. I was the ONLY person in the office. I remember being completely freaked out by hearing all sorts of sounds that really, truly sounded like other people doing things. I was convinced that I had never heard these sounds before. However, the following Monday I made a point to listen for these sounds and sure enough, under the hustle and bustle of the office, the sounds were there. I suspect the sounds were caused by equipment turning on and off within walls/ceilings and that kind of stuff.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
This is kind'a out of my normal realm of suggestion, so bear with me.

Have you looked into the "history" of the places you live in?

Past events can, sometimes, have lingering effects.

Crime reports are a handy place to begin.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

The first one sounds like a house settling. I know it "seemed" like it came from the basement, but perhaps it was some beams/joists settling in the floor giving the impression that it was louder and from farther away....?

The house is around 70 years old. Although, I guess the earth never really stops shifting and such eh?

The second one... I have no idea. A car outside backfiring combing with some weird acoustics in your apartment.

Not sure about this one, It sounded like it was directly behind me. Also my girlfriend said it sounded like it came from me. ( in the kitchen I mean ). However I don't eliminate the fact that it could have been weird acoustics or something like that at play

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis

This is interesting. Although my apartment is only around 8-10 years old. I will try to look into this.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rhodin

This is interesting. Although my apartment is only around 8-10 years old. I will try to look into this.

It's always handy to know the history of a place where you live.

Bad events, tend to leave a "mark" on a place, tho this is only one possible explanation, it is the easier one to look into as it should be a matter of public record, unless there was nothing ever reported.

Have you noticed anything else, not necessarily so attention grabbing as loud bangs, before?

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Even old houses creek and make noises. Weather changes. Heat, cold, expand, contract.

Of course your girlfriend blamed you.... it's what they do.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

Of course your girlfriend blamed you.... it's what they do.

Haha. Indeed!

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Have you noticed anything else, not necessarily so attention grabbing as loud bangs, before?

Not in the apartment, no. In the house there was a chair that had fallen over, and a picture fell off the wall. But we chalked that up to likely not sitting properly.

In all honesty, I lived in a haunted house from age 7-12. A house in which my mother still lives. I quite enjoyed the weird happenings there. Although scary at first. Because of that I have been trying to stay away from that aspect, mostly because I consider that wishful thinking.

Also, come to think of it, that may have made a more interesting thread.. lol

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rhodin

Not in the apartment, no. In the house there was a chair that had fallen over, and a picture fell off the wall. But we chalked that up to likely not sitting properly.

In all honesty, I lived in a haunted house from age 7-12. A house in which my mother still lives. I quite enjoyed the weird happenings there. Although scary at first. Because of that I have been trying to stay away from that aspect, mostly because I consider that wishful thinking.

Also, come to think of it, that may have made a more interesting thread.. lol

Indeed, tho, a lot of people try and rationalize the otherwise explainable.

Tho, sounds like you know what to look for, in the case of it being "haunted" if you lived in a house for many years.

It's not all a bad thing, unless it's truly something evil. Otherwise, it could just be grabs for attention, or acknowledgement.

You should make a thread about the house you lived in tho, that would be a fun read.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

You should make a thread about the house you lived in tho, that would be a fun read.

I absolutely will. I have had four ( of what I consider to be ) very unusual experiences. Which is what brought me to ATS in the first place. I do plan on making threads regarding most or all of them. Though haven't written about any of them yet.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Where in the country are you? I have experienced earthquakes causing very loud bangs as they shoot out the sides of hillsides. Your basement and kitchen might have been acoustically compatible with the resulting noise.

Just spit-balling, mind you... :-)

TheBorg

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Just a thought... yeah, a mundane settling in the walls or something striking the outside of the residence could be explanations...

Buuut I lived in a disturbed (or "haunted") house with loud bangs, crashes, thuds, reports like a gunshot and fairly frequent claps as if someone right behind me clapped their hands hard, and nothing or no one was ever visible.

I also lived in a couple other "disturbed" rentals, but without such loud sounds... those had more mellow walking sounds and little rustles and a bang every so often, but nothing like the cacophony that erupted in that one residence.

Recordings of sounds held in the house itself, possibly made by extreme emotional charges like violence, have been suggested... though the exact mechanics are unknown (to most, anyway.. .there may be folks who do).

But, of course, this weirder stuff isn't exactly common, and your case is more likely some explainable but unusual thing, but the unknown phenomena exists and is far, far more common than most would think.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBorg

Where in the country are you?

Thanks for the reply, the appartment is in northern Alberta, Canada. The house is in Ontario, Canada. Both places are not really known for earthquakes. Though I will not rule it out.

Cheers

edit on 18-2-2016 by Rhodin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Not sure if anyone else may have added this....but how haunted was your childhood home.....
Possibly the haunted spirit is attached to YOU.....

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: bandersnatch
Not sure if anyone else may have added this....but how haunted was your childhood home.....
Possibly the haunted spirit is attached to YOU.....

I don't really think that is the case as I've lived in many different places between then and now with no strange occurences. However I don't know what it was so I don't know for certain.

edit on 18-2-2016 by Rhodin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Is it possible there could be a sinkhole developing, don't want to worry anyone, I know nothing about them, but bangs from below the house is very unnerving, I'd consider the supernatural only after seriously considering ground movement first.... Although, I do hope it turns out just to be spooks!!
A reply to: Rhodin

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Make sure it isn't: secret squatters.

If the noise persists and you start noticing stuff that's been moved around... I would consider checking your place out.
You could also set up a security cam to record any future incidents.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
No. But occasionally we hear loud bangs off in the distance outside here that sound like extremely powerful fireworks. Which would make sense if they were on or around some common holiday when fireworks are normal.

But it's hard to say. If it's outside and off in the distance, it could be anything. If it seems to be right in the room with you, I don't know. Maybe some part of the structure of the building you're in snapped under pressure? My guess is that you wouldn't necessarily know it unless the whole place was being held up by whatever snapped.

Or maybe some kind of settling. I imagine that a large slab of concrete would make a pretty loud noise if something caused a sudden crack.

Maybe a sonic boom?

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Was it winter?

Sometimes in winter the ice makes sudden loud CRACK noise. I can't remember the proper name for it, or why it happens, but it is because of the ice.

Some thing weird though, years ago me and my friend was walking into a two-level house. It was half destroyed, but there was this inside little balcony thing, and we could see up to it from the ground floor. Anyway, suddenly we hear this super loud CRACK noise, like close gunshot, from the second floor, and so we look up right away, and we both of us see this grey shadow of a man running across the balcony. We run up the stairs, but the grey man has gone. He was running into the side of the house what was destroyed, there no where for him to go but rubble.

I thought that I will mention this because of the loud noise. We could not find any source of this noise.

I mean, if the noise was from the house was falling down, well nothing in the house had moved or changed. Creeeepy.

edit: this was not in winter, no ice to make ice-quake noise.
edit on 18-2-2016 by Helicopter because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join