It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefox Still the King of Customisation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   
When it comes to customisation out of the major internet browsers, it appears as if Mozilla Firefox still reigns supreme. It's not just the built-in options, but rather the seemingly endless number of extensions available to the user.

Now, I do realise that quality is more important than quantity, but I still find the extensions to be overall better on Firefox compared to the other major browsers. There are too many things you CAN do compared to the other browsers.

Some of my favourite lesser-known extensions include:

* All Tabs Helper
* Copy Plain Text 2
* Define Word
* Duplicate Tab in Context Menu
* Flash Stopper
* Puzzle Bars
* Save Image In Folder
* Secure Password Generator
* Slim Addons Manager
* Toolbar Buttons

As of the current stable version of Firefox (44.0.2), the above all work pretty well.

Hope you enjoy the list!

edit on 18/2/2016 by Dark Ghost because: fixed typos

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Ummm...I use Firefox exclusively...with Duck duck go...as my search engine...

I've even managed to send them some cash a couple of times...I love the Add-ons and extensions...

Chrome is...MEH...I actually like Bing for a search engine/default but usually couple it with Chrome instead of Google...

Safari is the absolute worst...I mean...it's improved over the years...but it's still so damned slow...And I use a 27" i-Mac...

IMO...or rather...IME...

YouSir

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Customisation? How about settling for a browser with spell check?

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: neveroddoreven99

Customisation? How about settling for a browser with spell check?

I think I Pee'd a little right there....

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: neveroddoreven99

The browser does have spell check, but I am using an Australian English dictionary since I live in Australia.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I used to use Firefox almost exclusively, but they started rolling out constant updates every month that kept breaking things and making it worse. At work I have to connect to internal servers that we don't bother to install legit SSL certificates on (why would we, if they are our own private, internal servers?) but after years of using Firefox it suddenly would throw a fit and refuse to connect to servers without SSL certs or self-signed SSL certs. So I stopped using it, both at work and at home.

At work lately I've been using Chrome a lot, since while it still throws a "WARNING WARNING WILL ROBINSON!" when it sees a self-signed SSL cert, it will still let you override it and connect anyway. I'm hoping it stays that way. I don't want or need a browser that holds your hand and tells you how to browse the web.

At home I've been using Opera lately. It supports all the extensions that block ads and trackers that I used in Firefox, and while it's not completely open-source like Firefox is, it seems more privacy oriented than other browsers (like Chrome). It's also less annoying in that so far it doesn't seem to be constantly updating like Firefox was. (I hated that, especially when you would have to reinstall an extension) So far I like it.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: peskyhumans

I use Palemoon, FireFox fork, it is based mostly on FF 29, so I don't have problems with the SSL certs like FF 44 and such, and yet most FF plugins still work fine on it. There is also WaterFox which is built for speed but lacks some of the compatibility of Palemoon.

new topics

top topics

join