It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China 'has deployed missiles in South China Sea' - Taiwan

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Seriously, no other country has as many military bases around the world as the US. We're Rome. Remember Rome? Didn't end well. I like pasta, though.

Pasta; which was actually invented by the Chinese ! hahahhahahahhahhah

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Right now is the time to keep calm and eat jelly beans

The whole world is watching your reaction (American citizens)

Hillary has strategic interest in South China Sea

csis.org...

Back to

Your government is watching your "awakening" but simultaneously it is afraid of your rebellion and prepared to impose Martial law

Let people in charge do their job .. World knows everything is about to turn to sh# (the useless walls need to fall you can't turn back time it is ok to make mistakes) but it is also HOPING and COUNTING on you to see past the deeply imprinted false picture of reality..

Don't let the "sounds like" catch on..

Right now there is hope of normalising .. Sit by the fire and close your eyes on the world for a moment
Nothing is "really happening" media wants to always cash in on the drama

Thank you

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

Seriously, no other country has as many military bases around the world as the US. We're Rome. Remember Rome? Didn't end well. I like pasta, though.

Pasta; which was actually invented by the Chinese ! hahahhahahahhahhah

You get the gist, though...
Irony is sweet.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
And no, I don't believe you.

Then research France leaving NATO.

It has huge bearing on China asserting their presumed authority in the South China Sea as a perceived victor in World War Two. Just like the US.

Again no... What territory did the US claim / keep?
Secondly the other China also has claims.

See what I did there?

Attempted to make a comparison without regard for history?

All those bases are present with the consent of the respective governments so what exactly is your point and how does wwii and the US factor into China seizing disputed territory? Some areas where they had given up their claims in the past. Secondly China's argument starts before WWII. At one point they tried using a map that was several hundred years old.
edit on 18-2-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

How can a government NOT give consent with massive warships off their coast and have only coconuts to defend themselves with?
And knowing the US had a bomb that could melt 100,000 people at once...seems like they really didn't have a choice.

Oh, does Okinawa mean anything to you about forcing a country to have a base outright?
edit on 18-2-2016 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   

How can they not give consent?

Look up France leaving NATO... Secondly it was by consent of their governments unless you have evidence to the contrary. If so post it.

Okinawa - You are referring to the Futenma air base, which is controlled by the Japanese government. The Japanese base that house US military presence? The one that is being moved to an area that has a low population?

Or the nanking massacre or the 80k + civilians IJF slaughtered when they took the Philippines?

Japan can tell the US to leave and we would. Just like we did when the Philippines asked us to.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   
You don't build an island to put an airport in it without some defense.

China is not weak, nor fools, some here say that they may be testing USA, but perhaps they know exactly what US whould do and won't with all that spionage Chinese hackers do.

Many countries expect US military help and china may know for a fact if US would trow them under the bus or not

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

China saw Russia take the Ukraine, saw that we did nothing.

Why wouldn't they take Taiwan? They'll probably move before the election to take advantage of Obama's weak foreign policy response.

imho

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Obviously you're not Amish since you're online.

Even the Amish are online today.
Everyone owns Chinese stuff.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sargeras
This is what happens when you give one of the most brutal regimes in modern times trillions of dollars from the west.

China should have been treated like North Korea long ago.

Right, because isolation has worked SO WELL with North Korea so far, right? smdh

I don't know what reality you live in, but North Korea is a dangerous state we've ignored for too long. Isolation and ignorance has not worked there and now they're on the cusp of being able to threaten numerous nations with Nuclear weaponry.

And we didn't "give them" trillions of $'s either. China moved away from Communism into Capitalism of their own accord, they profited from that immensely.

All we are seeing is them treating the world like they do their own people.

No, we're not. We're seeing them treating the world with disdain and refusing to recognize international laws they agreed to when they became a member of the United Nations and signed various agreements with the rest of the international community.

They treat their people poorly, no doubt about that, but comparing the two is like comparing Apples and Giraffes.

This is what happens when the west places weaklings in power.

We sent a rabbit to deal with a pack of wolves.

Which leader do you claim is "weak"? Let me guess, it's all Obama's fault, right?

Our leaders have a priority, and that's to keep their own nation and people safe. If your leader had done anything else you would be on here screaming about them sticking their noses in where it doesn't belong.

Our elected can't f'ing win. If they don't act they're "weak", if they do act they're "imperialist dogs" putting people at risk.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Why wouldn't they take Taiwan? They'll probably move before the election to take advantage of Obama's weak foreign policy response.

imho

I have to agree, somewhat.
I said then that not doing enough in the face of Russian aggression was going to make the west look weak, and sadly economic sanctions were not enough to scare China off.
Then again, China was making such moves long before Russia stole Chrimea from Ukraine, while it probably emboldened them to continue on or speed up the process, I do believe China would be doing this anyway.

This is the problem with China, North Korea and Russia though, they all think they have a claim over the lands of other nations. They're extreme traditionalists, selectively picking out a period of history to emulate and then stubbornly sticking to it as if that's how things should be now.

North Korea thinks it has a claim over South Korea.
Russia thinks it has a right to all former Soviet states.
China thinks it has a right to areas it formerly controlled under its own empire.

While we talk about "spheres of influence", these nations see that in the physical sense rather than political.

That's why we're going to be seeing a lot more of this encroachment in the future unless something is done to stop it in its tracks.

What that is nobody knows. We don't want to risk a war, and we don't want any economic sanctions to impact on our own populations. Diplomacy is probably the right way to go until that's exhausted.

Of course, it all depends on what they do in the meantime. I fear we won't have much choice but to respond militarily at some point. Either Russia, North Korea or China is going to get twitchy and fire something, and then who knows what we'll have to do in retaliation.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Obviously you're not Amish since you're online.

Even the Amish are online today.
Everyone owns Chinese stuff.

I got a good laugh from that one...

The Amish must have great wifi since they have no utility lines running to their houses. But they do own Chinese stuff. Like weed eaters...I don't know why those are exempt from the whole "...of the Devil" clause. Hope we didn't derail the thread too much Butch

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

imho

China would not risk open war with the US.
Trying to take Taiwan is suicide for them. They know it. But it keeps all of the Chinese and US arms manufacturers in business to threaten it.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Exactly. China wants those islands and they will keep them, even getting into a skirmish to prove their point.

That area of the South China seas is a major shipping channel. And also holds a highly strategic value as well, as evident with the missile batteries and later on all types of weapons of war. they plopped runways out there, the we know they are building it for military purposes.

the problem is, there is nothing that can be done about it. America would do the same thing if in the same position, oh wait we did with Hawaii.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
China needs to spend some of that money they are using on defense to clean up their pollution problem.

They have some serious issues that need addressing before they push out militarily.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I bet we still overfly and cruise around the man made chinese island daring them to shoot at our people. They know If they do that island will be gone within minutes. SO please china do install those missiles and make your man made(illegal) island.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I think China's placement of missile batteries on one of their claimed islands is just more saber-rattling. The Japanese, Philippines, and US are also doing a bit of their own saber-rattling by challenging China's claims of sovereign territory by over-flying those islands, and sailing their warships in their waters.

One problem with this military buildup is that it increases the probability that an unfortunate mistake could occur where military personnel and equipment could be lost. In the short-term, I don't think this would lead to any extended hostilities.

However, in the long-term China will convert its economy to be internally consumer driven, rather than it's current reliance on exports. They will also start to exploit the vast fossil fuel resources in the S. China sea. These changes will eventually provide them some insulation from economic reprisals of the global community.

At that point, China will likely act with impunity with respect to claiming whatever territory it deems to be part of its empire. And that likely includes Taiwan. However, until they have solidified that position, I don't think it's likely the Chinese will make any overt military moves in the region.

On the other hand, China's desire for territorial expansion is sure to trouble the Japanese. Japan is currently completely dependent on US military might for its defense. But, the US will eventually not be able to provide a level of deterrence that is acceptable to them. I think that just as the US was considered the "Sleeping Dragon" when Japan attacked in WWII, they could now be considered such themselves.

The Japanese are a resourceful and creative people. I think their society still has a hierarchical structure that lends itself well to nationalism if necessary. And these are essential components of a nation that could relatively quickly transition itself back into a significant military power. And such a transition can in itself increase the possibility of a significant armed conflict.

The Chinese have a very ancient culture. Unlike the US, they are a patient people who are accustomed to long term strategies that span generations. So, I don't see any significant conflicts on the horizon. However there is a possibility of a minor skirmish here and there, "by accident", so to speak.

-dex

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Seems they took offense at the fly over of these Islands

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Seems they took offense at the fly over of these Islands

Seems liek they will get even more offended because they still will happen.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join