It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress passes `doomsday' plan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   
This one is particularly scary. We're all screwed now.

WASHINGTON - With no fanfare, the U.S. House has passed a controversial doomsday provision that would allow a handful of lawmakers to run Congress if a terrorist attack or major disaster killed or incapacitated large numbers of congressmen.

I think (the new rule) is terrible in a whole host of ways - first, I think it's unconstitutional,'' said Norm Ornstein, a counselor to the independent Continuity of Government Commission, a bipartisan panel created to study the issue. It's a very foolish thing to do, I believe, and the way in which it was done was more foolish.''

But supporters say the rule provides a stopgap measure to allow the government to continue functioning at a time of national crisis.

news.bostonherald.com...

Marshal law in 60 seconds.

[edit on 10-1-2005 by Damned]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Wouldn't it be more simple and democratic to refill the ranks of the congress with backups from their office? Like a person is elected for congress and has a backup that runs with them, kinda like a Vice President taking over in case the president is incapacitated?

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
You would think, wouldn't you? Instead they'd rather hand the entire country over to a few men. Does anyone else almost expect the assassination of some congressmen?

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Hasn't this country hit bottom yet? Or are we still on the way down?

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
i think we are already talking about this "pass" in this thread.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I figured it had already been posted, but a search found nothing. Oh well...

Originally posted by Amethyst
Hasn't this country hit bottom yet? Or are we still on the way down?

Apparently, America hasn't reached it's stupidity limit, yet.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
i think we are already talking about this "pass" in this thread.

Hehe, "one way free "pass" to US dictatorship" hu :p

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
We are being set up. The picture is becoming clearer everyday. I am sure the ones that would be in charge are those that are promoting the New World Order. It will be interesting to see who they will be. How can we continue to let these people change the laws to that which the general population disagrees with. I am sure they(NWO) have already planned such an event as a terrorist attack or major disaster, so that they can gain full control.

[edit on 10-1-2005 by Lastday Prophet]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lastday Prophet
We are being set up. The picture is becoming clearer everyday. I am sure the ones that would be in charge are those that are promoting the New World Order. It will be interesting to see who they will be. How can we continue to let these people change the laws to that which the general population disagrees with. I am sure they have already planned such an event, so that they can gain full control.

The bill authorizing the IRS was passed on Dec 13th with about 25 member present. This is a simple rule change and not a constitutional crisis. The CONGRESS thinks it is too important. We are better off whithout them there anyway.......

[edit on 10-1-2005 by DrHoracid]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Personally, I find it hard to believe that something like this wasn't already implemented or passed during the Cold War years....but hey...*shrugs*

From yesterday, as pointed out by Souljah:
The Dirty Dozen

seekerof

[edit on 10-1-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Damned
Marshal law in 60 seconds

Whats better, allowing the small number of congressmen left to operate without a quorum, or to not have a government?

thematrix
Wouldn't it be more simple and democratic to refill the ranks of the congress with backups from their office

I'd say no. They don't have 'backups' anyway, just their staff, who, while chosen by the representative, haven't been elected. The governors of their states in many cases will appoint new interim congressmen. Outside of that, elections have to be held, and that woudl be during an alarming state, when terrorists had been able to destroy most of the members of congress.

Congress has to have a minimum number of members present in order to do things, like vote, propose, and even debate bills and open a session, that minimum number is called a 'quorum' or somesuch. This appears to be removing that necessity in the event of mass murder. Seems reasonable enough.

Apparently, America hasn't reached it's stupidity limit, yet

Whats more stupid, overriding this quorum rule when the something like 70 percent of congress has been wiped out or allowing an attack to remove congress all together?

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
70 percent of congress needs to be wiped out, along with the Bush junta. You just don't get it. These are the a$$holes who have gotten us into this predicament in the first place. You want to hand over full power to them? Go study the Wolfowitz doctrine and then tell me that America isn't trying to take over the world. These people are sick in the head, and they're not satisfied with just running our country.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Things were out of control a long time ago, now we're fighting inertia as much as we're fighting any real agenda. At this point I seriously doubt voting or writing to your congressmen etc will do anything, will I keep doing it? Absolutelly!!

Whether we like it or not there is currently a good portion of the world that is genuinelly angry with us. If there were any major domestic crises right now, there are too many outside groups that would take advantage of it. That being said, I am saddened by what the situation has came to, but remain ever vigilant for anyway we can help stem the tide

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

thematrix
Wouldn't it be more simple and democratic to refill the ranks of the congress with backups from their office

I'd say no. They don't have 'backups' anyway, just their staff, who, while chosen by the representative, haven't been elected. The governors of their states in many cases will appoint new interim congressmen. Outside of that, elections have to be held, and that woudl be during an alarming state, when terrorists had been able to destroy most of the members of congress.

I really hate reply's with partial quotes of what I said to disprove something I didn't even say ya know.

I didn't say they have backups, but that it might be better to make a change where they DO have backups, instead of letting a select few rule congress instead of the actualy elected representatives or their backups, that trough changes WOULD exist.

Same already exists for governers and presidents.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Yep, it's about like me saying, "Ok, if the gov't gets taken out, me and my friends will take charge of the country, and you'll like it."

I'm of the opinion that, if such a thing happens, they had their chance and they blew it.
Let someone who deserves the respect earn the office. Or let someone who's naturally capable take over. No doubt, there's no shortage of people who would be willing to take over. A few of them might even be candidates that America actually chooses, rather than having them forced upon us. What we definitely don't need is more chicken hawks taking over the country and making things worse.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Thats the best way I've heard it put.

If there is indeed a catastrophy/attack so large that it wipes out a functional part of the US government then they blew it and do not deserve to have any type of control over the situation at that point.

They know something we don't. Its as simple as that.

You guys know about MERLIN's prediction that apparently something huge is going to happen to everyone this year.. and COULD be caused by "osama bin laden"?

This is the second such law they have passed you know?

Can't find the link. Damn. Anyways.

I believe.. if you put together everything happening/happened. You can get a picture that something IS happening/about to happen and they know it.

All those military tests that just transpired.. something is going on. All the talk about the 'stuff' going down in India.. then the largest disaster in recorded modern history occures.

I BELIEVE one can connect the dots.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 04:35 AM
link   
"the board is set, and the players are moving!"

everything is beeing staged for something.
something BIG.
if it wasnt big, they wouldnt pass that kind of "doomsday act".

Vis Mega
You guys know about MERLIN's prediction that apparently something huge is going to happen to everyone this year.. and COULD be caused by "osama bin laden"?

who is this merlin guy?
you mean friend of legendary king arthur?
i guess not that merlin.
well, can you find the link, so we can see that "prophecy" too?

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 04:42 AM
link   
hehehe can you imagine if this guy had to take over...!!!

just out of interest... do they include FEMA in this??

what is classed as a "high number" of congress men?

why not re-instate retired congressmen if this occurs?

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 04:58 AM
link   
or if this guy takes over...:

with help from this guys...:

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vis Mega
They know something we don't. Its as simple as that.

Exactly. The Cheney/Rumsfeld axis of slime knows the day, the hour and location of the next big terror event. Rigging the game is complete. Now they wait for the clock to unwind. Heil to the chiefs.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join