It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cliven Bundy, his sons, 2 others indicted for 2014 standoff in Nevada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Cliven Bundy, his two sons and two others were indicted by a federal grand jury in connection with a 2014 protest and alleged assault against law enforcement officers near his Nevada ranch. Ryan Bundy, Ammon Bundy, Ryan Payne and Peter Santilli Jr. were also indicted.

All five people face the following felony charges:

One count of conspiracy to impede or injure a federal officer
Four counts of using and carrying a firearm in relation to a crime of violence
Two counts of assault on a federal officer
Two counts of threatening a federal law enforcement officer
Three counts of obstruction of the due administration of justice
Two counts of interference with interstate commerce by extortion
One count of interstate travel in aid of extortion

Cliven Bundy, his sons, 2 others indicted for 2014 standoff in Nevada

Wow. The article even says they may face more than $3 million worth of forfeitures. Note, these charges are from the 2014 incidence, not the recent incident in Oregon.

I don't really have an opinion either way on this one. Just passing along the news since I didn't see it here. (And my apologies if this was already posted & I missed it.)

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I am guessing if the fools would have stayed in Nevada the whole time, this never would have happened. What a shame. Now they will get life, all of them. That, plus in a few years they will start to "commit suicide" in prison, years apart from each other as people will forget who they are or what they did. Kinda just like what happens to political dissidents in 1984 ...

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

There are certainly better ways to fight a perceived injustice than to hold armed standoffs. Those never end well.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 03:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist
I am guessing if the fools would have stayed in Nevada the whole time, this never would have happened. What a shame. Now they will get life, all of them. That, plus in a few years they will start to "commit suicide" in prison, years apart from each other as people will forget who they are or what they did. Kinda just like what happens to political dissidents in 1984 ...

It was their choice.
They won't get life. At most, 8 years. They are wealthy, though, so they use a different justice system and probably won't see any jail time. This is America. We don't jail millionaires. Just the poor and non white.

But being convicted of a felony, they will have to give up their penises. Sorry wrong word there, I meant guns instead of tiny flaccid penises. And they won't be able to vote anymore. At least I think so. I don't know Nevada law. It's weird. Wild westy weird.
edit on 18-2-2016 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
a reply to: AmericanRealist

There are certainly better ways to fight a perceived injustice than to hold armed standoffs. Those never end well.

Tell that to Obama and his administration who seem to promote this very kind of action.... providing it's in another sovereign nation like Syria or Libya!

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Great fodder for the 2016 elections !!!

Provides excellent distractions.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

It's about time the law caught up to these guys for this nonsense.
edit on 18-2-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

IMO, that's great news and I hope there will be more indictments to follow.

For me, the best and most ironic part of this whole ordeal is that, if found guilty, these gun nuts will most likely lose their most valued right, which is to own and/or be around guns.

What a perfect ending!

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   

The Bundy's did it to themselves. The Feds arrested some of the problem at Malheur and when the head of the snake came to the rescue, they arrested him, too. Now that they have the entire snake in the slammer, they can indict without worrying about another armed resistance led by Cliven.
I'd expect no bail for these guys as they are too dangerous to themselves and others. Their greed in not paying their bills and their resultant actions to weasel out from under will result in financial stress/ruin and jail time. If the Hammond's got 5 years, the Bundy's should get at least that. Cliven may not make it out of Federal prison. I'm sure that they will remain an inspiration for their fellow travelers while their example will also put a damper on future armed occupations or at least result in a change of tactics.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Flatfish

I don't think these people will care whether they've lost their gun rights. Hell, a number of those guys arrested already weren't supposed to have guns and were parading around in front of cameras open carrying. Not a big surprise that most of the people arrested at the refuge had domestic abuse, assault, or violent crime histories.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

To be fair, US military operations in Libya & Syria have also attributed to a lot of deaths and turmoil. So yeah, my advice would apply to them as well. (not to mention the other wars the previous Presidents have launched.)

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I agree. Something we always said when I worked in the streets was "you do the crime, you do the time" and "that lifestyle will always result in death or jail". I was the one trying to keep everyone legal and out of that lifestyle, so I didn't personally have to worry about that part. But every single person I worked w/knew the risks when they did something illegal.

I'm mentioning that because the same thing applies to civil rights activists who break laws during the course of their actions. They know the risks that come with their actions, which is why they don't complain about the arrests that come with them. It's even a tactic to get more media attention for their cause.

But the Bundy gang is different. They broke numerous laws, threatened law enforcement (even had snipers aiming at law enforcement in 2014), call on others to rise up against the government, and don't pay their taxes. But when the consequences catch up to them, they complain and whine like drama queens. They're all adults and the main figures are all older than me. So it's not like they don't know what they were getting themselves into. I'm glad there wasn't more bloodshed, but now I feel that they should man up and accept the consequences for their actions.

originally posted by: Flatfish

IMO, that's great news and I hope there will be more indictments to follow.

For me, the best and most ironic part of this whole ordeal is that, if found guilty, these gun nuts will most likely lose their most valued right, which is to own and/or be around guns.

What a perfect ending!

If even half of these charges stick, they'll lose a lot more than that. But yeah, I think this will serve as a wakeup call to the militias about the stupidity of trying an armed resistance against the US government. Even if they get out of jail, they'll lose what they apparently love the most.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

I agree. And even though I don't agree with their "cause", I have no problem with people trying to change the system legally (like getting organized, writing bills, lobbying for bills, exploiting media coverage to increase your base, pressuring candidates to adopt your positions, running your own candidates, etc)

But I don't honestly think the Bundy's on the Joh Ritzheimer guy were trying to change the system like they claim. It appears to me that they were actually just profiting off of their movement. I think Cliven had even previously accepted a $500,000 government loan for his businesses lol. How can you be against the government then use government loans? That's like saying you want to eliminate food stamps while being on food stamps.

Oh & they'll probably get much longer than 5 years. Cliven may never be a free man again. Those are some serious charges they're facing, and the ones listed in the OP are just the felonies. It's going to take a lot of legal wrangling, plea deals, concurrent sentencing, and snitching/becoming an informant for them to become free. They can't even get bail. They could always get Presidential pardons, but that's like winning the lottery (though if Republicans really liked them as they claim they do, a future Republican President could do it).

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   
OR...they could all go on the lam and start assasinating government officials and go out with a blaze of glory.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
OR...they could all go on the lam and start assasinating government officials and go out with a blaze of glory.

How? They're all in jail right now & have been denied bail. Oh & wouldn't that make them terrorists?

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   

How? They're all in jail right now & have been denied bail. Oh & wouldn't that make them terrorists?

Wel its not liek they coudnt stage a jail break right? Yeah that would make them terrorist then but if they are screwed either way why hold back?

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Wel its not liek they coudnt stage a jail break right? Yeah that would make them terrorist then but if they are screwed either way why hold back?

LOL If their goal is to completely discredit what's left of their "movement" and get the public united behind killing them and their literal terrorist-sympathizing allies, then sure...

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Bogus charges. We need some jury nullification here. The government had repeatedly violated their land grazing rights (which predate the BLM) and their property rights. The UN agenda 21 is still going strong under a different name.

I guess the Bundy's had to pay since it was interfering with the government leasing mineral rights to foreign countries as a debt security. I don't understand why people want to trade their freedoms for so called security. The government is not your friend and they are not "protecting" public lands. Remember that toxic spill in Colorado not long ago? Pure and deliberate government malfeasance.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Normally I would agree however the Bundy's dont recognize the authority of the federal government. This has been an ongoing issue going back to 1993, when they started refusing to pay grazing fees. When the feds started impounding their cattle, 10 + years later, the Bundys had refused to comply with 3 court orders.

Contrary to claims the Bundy's never used the legal system to press their claims.

Here is a rundown from the finicum murdered thread.

April 2014 - A rancher's armed battle against the US government is standard libertarian fare

This started in 1993 with Cliven Bundy when they refused to pay grazing fees -

$1.35 per month for each of his cow and calf pairs

Why? -

Bundy claimed the BLM had no right to charge him due to a thoroughly debunked, but eternally-circulating, libertarian theory that the US Constitution forbids federal ownership of land.

and

His refusal to recognize federal lands, for example, is in direct contradiction with the Nevada State Constitution.

and -

In his own words: "I don’t recognize the United States government as even existing."

His interview on radio - danaloeschradio.com...

Ammon Bundy -

The federal government does not have authority to come down into the states and to control its land," Bundy said.

Redress of Grievances - Like I have been saying - Source with video

When Kelly asked Bundy why he doesn't go through the courts, Bundy said, "The plaintiff is the federal government, yet the prosecutor is also the federal government...there is no proper redress."

So no he / they have not used established means to fight this.

Documents -
Threat to Harney County Sheriff's Office from Bundy-

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

So no he / they have not used established means to fight this.

I think that that pretty much what enlightenedservant said.

By the way...
Note to Mr. Bundy: The Constitution says you have the right to "PETITION for redress of grievances". It does NOT say you have the right to such redress being granted. So petition away - make your case - just don't raise an insurrection like a 3yo child.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Yes, and just think of the inconvenience they caused Harry Reid's Brother when he coveted the Bundy land, but had to wait when the BLM was sent by Obama to help "relocate" all those pesky cattle the Bundy's owned.

What were they thinking?

new topics

top topics

join