It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the heck did we hear in Missouri this morning?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I'm in southwest Missouri, in a little town called Mountain Grove. Late this morning/early this afternoon, sometime between 11;30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. central (sorry, I can't be more specific than that) I was going about my day and suddenly there was what sounded like an explosion somewhere nearby. It shook the whole house and rattled the windows. My son and I, thinking something had exploded somewhere, went outside to see what on earth was going on. Nothing appeared to be wrong anywhere. Then we heard from other friends and family members that it had been heard--and felt--in several different areas up to about 60 miles away including Rogersville, Ava, and the boonies outside of Ava. There's nothing on the local news sites about it, and no one I know has heard an explanation for it yet. Anyone else in Missouri feel this? Does anyone know what on earth it was?

To be clear--I'm sure there's a mundane explanation. I'm just dying of curiosity and would like to know what that explanation actually is, if anyone knows. I'm also curious how far away people heard/felt it.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: riiver

Oooooh, hope it's a UFO crash! I hate mundane explanations, they're so boring aren't they? LOL

Seriously though, I am nowhere near you and have no clue!

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Did you check Twitter? It's a good source for discovering localized information such as this. Or the local police Facebook page? I'm just thinking of where info is shared but is not quite newsworthy.
edit on 17-2-2016 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I have a crazy Mexican neighbor that gets drunk and sets of large tannerite charges at odd hours. Made me jump out of bed with my shotgun a few times.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Sonic boom maybe??

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe
Would you hear a sonic boom that far away? 60 miles or a little more even? I had no idea!

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   

That's what I was thinking. There were some recently reported up here in Michigan on the west side is the state. Plus, Missouri does have a penchant for basing long range strike platforms.

That or a meteorite exploding in the upper atmosphere. However, that would surely make the news. If not nationally, then at least locally.

ETA:

Most definitely. They can be heard hundreds of miles away given the proper terrain and atmospheric conditions.
edit on 2/17/2016 by cmdrkeenkid because: Added additional response.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jason88

Did you check Twitter? It's a good source for discovering localized information such as this. Or the local police Facebook page? I'm just thinking of where info is shared but is not quite newsworthy.

I did check out the police department's website...lol it's a static page with 1 photo, an address and phone number, and a list of officers. They have a Facebook page, but nothing about the boom on it. Twitter? I have no idea how to use it, honestly.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid
Yeah my son and I speculated about a meteorite, but we figured that would be on the news. Sonic boom is probably the explanation. I just, like I said, didn't realize you could hear one over such a large area.

edit on 17-2-2016 by riiver because: to add: Thanks for the prompt responses, people. I love ATS

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: riiver
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid
Yeah my son and I speculated about a meteorite, but we figured that would be on the news. Sonic boom is probably the explanation. I just, like I said, didn't realize you could hear one over such a large area.

Damn, I was really hoping that once, just once we had a real live UFO crash. Oh well, it's still a mystery, so there is still time to hope.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Cmd got to it before I did.

He was right. A sonic boom can be heard for quite some distances and if there is steady supersonic flight the boom travels even further (carpet boom? Boom carpet?)There have been plenty of cases where residents thought sonic booms were earthquakes and the experiences were shared by people hundreds of miles apart.

ETA - This is completely from things I have read online over time. There are a few others here that know a heck of a lot more about it than I do. Hopefully they will chime in.
edit on 2/17/2016 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Hundreds of miles? Wow, that boggles my mind. Yeah we didn't think earthquake, but it certainly sounded like someone set dynamite off nearby.

It's funny--not a single other person on our street came out to see what was going on. Not one. How strange people are sometimes.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Hmm. Chicago here.

I was TCB, up on the roof (for privacy), around that time. 11:50 to 12:20 to be precise.

I didn't see nor hear nothin.

# 580

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Depending on where you are at "in the boom" it sounds different (from what I understand). I have only ever heard the loud crack/explosion of one myself. Never an "earthquake" type one.

People are definitely weird.... They might have known what it was or they might be too lazy to get up and see if something is about to kill them lol.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   

They might have known what it was or they might be too lazy to get up and see if something is about to kill them lol.

That's what I was going to say! LOL

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
they might be too lazy to get up and see if something is about to kill them lol.

^^^^This.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I'm about half a world away from you but all the same, this is one of those slightly odd things I like to read and see what members think about it.

If it were a smallish meteorite, it's possible that being daytime, it could well break up in the atmosphere without anyone seeing much of it, if anything. As it says on the Washington University in St Louis website:

Only a small fraction of meteorites are observed to fall, 2.8% for the whole world.

Obviously that's an estimate, based on meteorites found versus ones actually observed falling (and big enough to reach the ground). ETA: If it doesnt reach the ground, then it is only a meteor, not a mereorite.

Naturally, daytime falls are less likely to be observed, especially if it's cloudy. So, a question: what was the weather like? Clear skies, or some overcast?

edit on 18/2/16 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Excuse this if it's not it.. I don't have the energy to try to convert UTC to Miss time then back to Dominican...
But it is recent.. and it's all that's close... ish..

hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: JustMike
It alternated light sun and light cloud all day. I really didn't pay much attention to the weather other than to think, "Yay, it's not cold!" lol.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Xarian6
That event in the Dominican Republic happened later. The OP's event was about 6 to 7 pm yesterday (UTC), about 14 hrs before the Dom Rep explosion.

Also, if the bang were big enough to be heard from that distance I think there would be a lot more reports about it. (I won't even calculate how long the sound would take to travel that distance. :O) )

top topics

<<   2 >>

join