It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bell and BAE vie for Tiger replacement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Totally feeling I,m in a time warp here and gone back about 10 years..Both Bell and BAE have positioned themselves for an early replacement for the troubled Tiger program in the Australian Defence Force.Off a failing memory isn,t it sort of the same deal put towards the ADF before the "you broke it, you bought it" forced them to buy into the Tiger program?

Bell Helicopter and BAE Systems Australia have signed a teaming agreement that positions them to offer the AH-1Z Viper as a potential early replacement for the Army’s Tiger Armed Reconnaissance Helicopter (ARH). Signed at the Singapore Airshow on Tuesday, the agreement would see BAE Systems Australia provide maintenance and support services for the AH-1Z in Australia. “Under the teaming agreement, BAE Systems will play a significant role in providing support for Bell Helicopter AH-1Z Viper attack rotorcraft. This will include overseeing helicopter maintenance and sustainment, and supporting training for future customers,” the companies said in a joint statement. “This relationship aligns our interests and pursuits as we work together to pursue opportunities to strengthen and support the capability and posture of the Australian Defence Force,” Lisa Atherton, executive vice president of Military Business for Bell Helicopter, said in the statement.

Story
edit on 17-2-2016 by Blackfinger because: spelling

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

I've always had a thing for the Cobra, it's the classic quintessential tank killer, the Ford Mustang of attack helicopters.

The AH-1Z makes my pants feel funny, and I hope like hell that they build more of them.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

Plus they share a lot in common with the Iroquois

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

The Cobra of today is light years different from the ones we had in the 1970s. The first models only had a single engine and a two blade rotor system. The new Cobra has two engines with each having more horsepower in one engine than in the original version. It also has a four bladed rotor which gives better performance in high and hot environments. Technically it has a superior targeting system and more varied weapons load.

The only similarity in the Cobras is the name. The new Cobra has more in common with the Apache than the first Cobras.

The USMC's' Y/Z models Bells has much commonality as did the original AH-1G Cobra and UH-1H Huey from my time. They share the same engine, transmission and rotor system. This is good management in the military supply chain.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 02:54 AM
link   
This just came up in an advert in one of my forums(of which Zaphod has just popped up on and I had to check if somehow my forums had merged)!:

www.bellflight.com...

The AH-1Z Viper!

So is this the new variant, how new, is it on paper or real?!

Anyone, anyone, Beuller....
edit on 1 6 2020 by Forensick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick
Mate the AH-1Z has been flying operationally with the USMC for about 5 years at least now.

This story about replacing the Tiger ARH with the Apache or AH-1Z has been quiet for a couple of years now. I'm wondering what is now happening with the program given that the ADF is now moving forward with the Spec Ops helicopter under Project Land 2097 phase 4 See FG article. This will draw budget funds that I cant see being directed to a Tiger replacement to soon. Interestingly Land 2097 phase 4 was originally meant to be 16 helicopters with an option for more around 2026-28. Now its for 20 helicopters but no sign of deleting the expansion of the force in that time frame. So I'm thinking we are heading towards an eventual force of 24-30 spec ops aircraft that are also slated to cover spec ops armed interdiction, recon and CSR. Several of those roles cross over into the Tigers threshold so maybe things wont be as simple as a change from Tiger to another armed contender. Of interest is that the ADF is closely watching what happens with the US Armies FVL programs so its possible they will leapfrog from Tiger to something much quicker and meaner.

posted on Jun, 1 2020 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian
In other word the Gov will stuff around again and get us something that wont work properly here after we muck around with its systems..Id go with the Zulu as its a proven design and fits right in with NATO ops.Worked with the M1a1 buy with the Army..

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 07:40 AM
link   
The AH-1Z is where I would put my money. Its a little more compact than an Apache, and fully marinized for operating off ships like the Canberra class, plus is rugged and made for austere FOB's. Its also cheaper to purchase and operate. I would also speculate that the T700 engines will be upgradeable to whatever ITEP engine ends up in production.

posted on Jun, 2 2020 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian
Maybe they will surprise us and go for a boneyard Cobra version "cough" SeaSprite debacle "cough"....
Yeah my cynicism level is high this week..

top topics

join