It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

January Smashed Another Global Temperature Record

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: links234
Good luck trying to have an intellectual discussion on this serious issue. A lot of interests will troll threads like this to prevent a productive conversation, and many useful idiots will act as cheerleaders proclaiming climate change is natural, thus there is nothing we can do about it.

Obviously as a result of our addiction to fossil fuels, we are disrupting the climate.

Ending our addiction to fossil fuels is a practical solution.

And replace them with what?

You pipe dreams?

There is no alternative, and there isn't going to be one any time soon.

If there were, we wouldn't be using fossil fuels.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sargeras

Good luck trying to have an intellectual discussion on this serious issue. A lot of interests will troll threads like this to prevent a productive conversation, and many useful idiots will act as cheerleaders proclaiming climate change is natural, thus there is nothing we can do about it.

Obviously as a result of our addiction to fossil fuels, we are disrupting the climate.

You pipe dreams?

The best known alternatives to fossil fuel are wind, hydro, solar, electrical and nuclear.

You also got biomass, biofuel, tidal-and wave generators, thermal energy.

The problem is not that there aren't any but rather who owns the market.

edit on 18-2-2016 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   
You can't deny that human pollution has had an impact on earth's climate and well being but if that's the real driver behind climate change i highly doubt that.

You want to see real climate change let's visit the Younger Dryas era.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: intergalactic fire

You pipe dreams?

The best known alternatives to fossil fuel are wind, hydro, solar, electrical and nuclear.

But nuclear is crazy dangerous, everytime somthing goes wrong it is uninhabitable for tension of thousands of years.

Geothermal is great, in the places it can be used.

All the others are a joke, and nowhere near being a viable option.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Greven

Man it's amazing that we had climate scientists 12000 years ago!

Seriously though,who pulls that data out of their ass. We've only had an accurate way of measuring temperature for like 100 yrs

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

There's is actually very solid accurate scientific data. You can determine the earth's climate going back 12,000 years by looking at ice cores.

It's not pulled out of anybodies ass. It's solid science. Really interesting science too, worth looking into if you're interested.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:13 AM
link   

I noticed, in your ramblings about how I should care about the planet, and I should be fearful of change,

you left out the explanation, of how carbon tax equates to stopping climate change.

I want to know the scientific process of carbon taxing halting and reversing the supposed effects of climate change.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Greenland.

Frost Fair

River Thames frost fairs were held on the tideway of the River Thames at London in some winters between the 17th century and early 19th century, during the period known as the Little Ice Age, when the river froze over. During that time the British winter was more severe than now, and the river was wider and slower, and impeded by Old London Bridge.

Frost fairs were far more common elsewhere in Europe, for example in the Netherlands.
en.wikipedia.org...

The climate changes. Warmer is better.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

It is really interesting the thing that is most interesting though is the disconnect between the formula they're using and the blatant disregard for the appreciation of different weather patterns,moisture, snowfall and sea levels at those caps during those temperature deviations. According to some experts this skews the data that they produce because they don't take in account all variables, only the ones that give them the data set they want.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Sargeras

I'm not a supporter of nuclear but it's an option, yes it is dangerous but so are fossil fuels. Depends on how you look at it.
An accident will leave scars for many decades ( i don't believe thousands of years though) and the radioactive waste is still a big issue.
Fossil fuels are constantly polluting, killing, destroying environments (not to forget human diseases caused by this pollution) that also takes generations to rebuild.

Geothermal and hydro are good sources as you say, where it can be used. Countries can export energy so 'places it can be used' shouldn't be a to big issue.

I don't believe wind energy to be a joke, just look at Denmark, Germany and Spain. They produce 20-40% of its electricity from wind farms.
It's been more than 15 years since i visited Denmark and back then you could see many houses having there own small wind-turbine and they were not just for decoration i believe.
Same for solar energy.

But i believe the real breakthrough will come from those independent "free energy" researchers you can find all over the internet. The only way is to get through the gates of big oil.
There has to be some sense left in those brains.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

It doesn't is just a way for the profiteers to cash out on scaremongering, the global warming scam is a very well propagandized event that has surfaced for the sole purpose of governments to make money out of their own citizens to cover up for the expenses of natural disaster in a time that human population can not be redistributed.

In ancient times people used to move around when the weather affected their way of living, in todays modern societies and big cities a natural raise of water in the coastal areas will impact the man made economies globally.

Profiteers and the called solution makers found a way to make money and make people pay for this problems, they are calling it "man made global warming", so is our fault we need to pay for it.

edit on 18-2-2016 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

You and I have differing definitions of 'practical'.

No, I just understand science.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Yes, it's tragic they are blaming the population and making them believe in and pay for their mistakes.
Most of the population rely on industries to get their energy, so the only one who should pay carbon taxes are these corporations.

Rising sea-levels is just another 'scam' to induce fear. Although yes, sea-levels will rise if temperature rises and the poles melt but not on a scale they make us believe (4-6 meters by 2100).
If you look at earlier data on sea-levels, i believe we are at a high and it can only drop from now on. We are coming from 120m below today's sea level.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

Yes, the earth clima change, it has done it for millennia, we humans only has been in earth for a very short time, is a reason why species before us has gone extinct before we even were here.

Because human life span is soo short compare of earth age, we are been manipulated to see earth change in our life span as a short thing, dangerous and unusual, but when you compare earth lifespan of fluctuations we know that they are not unusual and neither been created by us that have been in earth as a species the last.

The more people believe that we are at fault for earth fluctuations that are hitting our life time as a species the more money can be reap from those that have only one purpose, that is, to profit.

In our modern societies everything is linked to the economies in the world, any change on clima, will impact the economies the most, we human will survive, but those man made economies will not. Perhaps the way of living that we have adopted in last one hundred years is not the best for our own species, those that are controlling economies knows that humanity can not be kept under control indefinitely.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

You and I have differing definitions of 'practical'.

No, I just understand science.

Stop, that is the dumbest argument ever.

It always gets thrown out by true believers against skeptics.

I know a great deal about science, many fields of Science in fact.

It isn't a question of Science, it is a question of rational thinking.

Green technology isn't very green, and it is cost prohibitive .

If any of the ideas proposed to move away from fossil fuels was viable, more would be behind them.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

We should focus more on real threats.
Abrupt climate change is been proven to be a fact and happened several times in the past with massive extinctions resulting.
It's not just about cutting emissions, greenhouse gasses, pollution,etc those are all good things but not the major drivers behind climate change.

Everybody wants to be famous in their own lifetime, it's pathetic and egocentric and won't help humanity in any way.
They are missing the bigger picture.

I believe it to be easy but humans are too stupid and governments too lazy so history will repeat itself ones again

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Sargeras
That is just stupid. We have alternative energy sources besides fossil fuels.

The science is clear. The CO2 levels are quickly rising. It is a problem we can tackle, however very rich and powerful interests rather put short term profits over the health of this planet.

In Sunshine State Big Energy Blocks Solar Power
edit on 18-2-2016 by jrod because: add link

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: intergalactic fire

You pipe dreams?

But nuclear is crazy dangerous, everytime somthing goes wrong it is uninhabitable for tension of thousands of years.

Geothermal is great, in the places it can be used.

All the others are a joke, and nowhere near being a viable option.

Well nuclear would be better and safer if they just made the switch to thorium.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
What is so expensive about conservation. People do not need to be flying all over the world, they need heat in their house. Tax the airline passengers.

People do not need to constantly be driving, make small factories and move them closer to the workers. More businesses is always more secure than a couple of big businesses and it gives people a chance to own their own business.

Don't buy things you really don't need. We are shop-a-holics. Build things to last so they do not need to be remade and planned obsolescence should be banned. The US can make more of it's own products that we need instead of shipping them half way around the world.

It seems like they want all the working class to pay for this stuff and the ones at the top are just going to keep on creating toxins for the environment. We can destroy this world with our technology.

Fix the problem, don't start throwing money at it.
edit on 18-2-2016 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join