It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Missile defence there is....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Okay we have 3 major competitors IMHO...

Arrow-2 from Israel...
PAC-3 from the US..
And S-300V from Russia...

which one is the best?...The idnian govt. has offers from all three and their having quite a tough time making up their mind playing cost against various other factors...
Lets be one good advisory board and show them the way shall we?

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
don't forget the chinese FT-2000

it's rumored to be the most advanced

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
ahh yes...if htere are any othr competitors not mentioned in the pilot post then please include...(not that the chinese are marketing the FT-2000..not to India at least..!!)
but really whats the take on the FT-2000??..

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   
it uses some form of phased array radar

here are some details...

SPECIFICATIONS

Missile length: 6.8 m
Missile diameter: 0.47 m
Missile wingspan: N/A
Launch weight: 1,300 kg
Propulsion: Solid rocket booster
Operating Altitude: 3 ~ 20 Km
Slant Range: 12 ~ 100 km
Maximum Speed: N/A
Guidance: Passive radar
Warhead: N/A
Single Shot Hit Probability: N/A

The FT-2000 could be deployed as a stand-alone air defence system or deployed as part of another system. A complete FT-2000 battalion probably would consist of a command platoon and three batteries. The missile is transported and launched on an 8 X 8 cross-country TEL, which has four canisters that look almost identical to those used in the S-300PMU1.

Some sources have speculated that the FT-2000's missile is based on Russian 5V55 series SAM but with a new active seeker that may have been developed with assistance of other countries. Like the normal version of Russian 5V55, the FT-2000 is cold-launched.

When the missile detects and locks on to the radar or jammer, it can home on the target autonomously at 1,200 m/s while sustaining a 14 G overload. The FT-2000 can also be used in co-operation with friendly aircraft when the onboard rader warning receiver detects hostile signal. In addition, the FT-2000 missile has a built-in inertial navigation system, so that whenever it has acquired a lock-on, it will continue towards the target even if the emitter is shut down (although the CEP is larger in this case).

The FT-2000 has a slant range of 12 km to 100 km up to an altitude of 18 km. It weighs 1,300 kg at launch. When fired in a salvo of two missiles, the FT-2000A has a kill probability of 0.95. The FT-2000's proximity fuze has an effective range of 35 metres, which goes active when the missile is 5 km away from its target.

www.sinodefence.com...

EDIT:... apparently the chinese millitary rate it higher than the russian s-300

[edit on 10-1-2005 by Lucretius]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucretius
The FT-2000's proximity fuze has an effective range of 35 metres, which goes active when the missile is 5 km away from its target.

EDIT:... apparently the chinese millitary rate it higher than the russian s-300

[edit on 10-1-2005 by Lucretius]

That statement is paradoxical IMHO..or I dint undrestand it...

And yeah it could be better than the S-300..never know..bu the sad part is the chinese never showcase their weaponry/technology/aircraft/skills etc. so its all left to guess work and that usually boils down to unecessary criticism..I want chinese airshows..defence expos etc..!!
Even countries like Brazil have 'em!!

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
apparently China will be taking it's millitary export market seriously over the next few decades... so presumably they are going to have to provide demontrations if they want customers.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I mean if pre warned and a war is rising, the ABL will be most likely the most advanced missle system. Can't out manuever light.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Projectiles are all fine and dandy, but if you don't have a capable C3I system, aquisition and guidance radar, and robust ECCM, you could be shooting quantum torpedoes for all it matters.

The Russian and Chinese missile are very fine examples of aerodynamic engineering and weaponsmithing. However, the advanced electronics, subcomponents, and the robust and proven software which seamlessly runs these system are what really count.

It doesn't matter which missile flies the fastest, or can turn the most G's, or has the longest range.....it's all about the missile that hits on the first salvo.

When those systems have a salvo accuracy of .90 or better against standard third and forth generation air targets, then we can talk! Until then, stick with the PAC-3.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
the chinese FT-2000 had a hit probability of 0.95

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   
anybody decipher that paradoxicall statement I quoted???

The FT-2000's proximity fuze has an effective range of 35 metres, which goes active when the missile is 5 km away from its target.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Personally, i like the PAC-3 but i think the best missile defense is a Minuteman right into the heart of a North Korean missile Solo (No offense)

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paladin327
Personally, i like the PAC-3 but i think the best missile defense is a Minuteman right into the heart of a North Korean missile Solo (No offense)

I agree.

In my opinoin the best missile defense there is is comprised of:

Sattelite based IR sensors (DSP/SBIRS)
Numerous advanced space survailance radar sites
6-8 midcourse interceptors
PAC-3 Interceptors at critical targets

And..

500 Minuteman III's, 16 Ohio Class Ballistic Missile Subs, 85 B-52's and 20 B-2's to make you think twice...

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I'd go with the combat proven PAC-3... Just wait until the motor upgrades go into production. The range for (I belive) for ICBM interception will increase to ~%50 giving it an effective range of more then 300Km...

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I'm gonna have to say the S-400, not the S-300.

Source on S-400: www.warfare.ru...

it seems that America has cancelled its Kinetic Energy Interceptor.

Good site for missile news: www.missilethreat.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kenshin
I'm gonna have to say the S-400, not the S-300.

Source on S-400: www.warfare.ru...

it seems that America has cancelled its Kinetic Energy Interceptor.

Good site for missile news: www.missilethreat.com...

Nope. In fact, they are putting interceptors on alert as we speak

www.peterson.af.mil...

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Yes but they are not going to develop the KIE any futher due to budget cuts.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Do you happen to have a source for that? Money has already been allocated in previous years budgets for further development of the current system, and even the recent DoD budget cuts won't eliminate further development of more advanced systems..

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Sources:
missilethreat.com...
www.missilethreat.com...
www.washtimes.com...
www.missilethreat.com...

Plenty of info out there about it. Just do a search. Thats all I can be bothered to present at this moment in time.

Your AMD will become very restricted ( in price terms ) over the next few years.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Oh, you mean the one that got the go ahead for Ratheon to start production of? I think not... You to-to read further into it.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Sources:
missilethreat.com...
www.missilethreat.com...
www.washtimes.com...
www.missilethreat.com...

Plenty of info out there about it. Just do a search. Thats all I can be bothered to present at this moment in time.

Your AMD will become very restricted ( in price terms ) over the next few years.

Like I said, cuts, not elimination. You can't expect to have a virtually unlimited budget forever. We will still spend approx $450 Million on developing a boost phase KEI, and a few billion dollars total on BMD defense. Not as much as before, but still far more than anyone else.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join