It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI vs. Apple

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
TrueBrit, I do see your point about making it appear that breaking into the phone was a cooperative effort with the assistance of Apple. And maybe that has a lot to do with how the FBI is proceeding. Somehow I had it in my head that a cooperative agreement had already been reached between the major tech companies and the govt in cases involving terrorism and major criminal activities. But, I guess I was mistaken.

It seemed to me that there might be number of different ways the FBI could have secured the info they’re after without asking assistance from anyone. Maybe I was wrong, maybe not. But, as you stated, perhaps it would have been good PR and a good strategy to ask Apple permission first.

At any rate, I read something today which I took note of, but neglected to get the URL for later reference. It was an article by an ex-iOS-hacker who now heads a cyber security company named Sudo Security Group. He said technicaly it should be no big deal gaining access to the system, and that you could accomplish this by creating a RAM disk signed by Apple’s production certificate for the specific ECID of the suspect’s iPhone. This solution would allow Apple to use existing technologies in the firmware file format to grant access to the phone ensuring that there is no possible way the same solution would work on another device.

But, if Apple complied with the FBI request, then Apple would be showing the public (customer) that breaking into an iPhone is “possible,”. This is why Apple doesn’t want to comply. This part confuses me a little. I would have assumed that most folks already realize that Apple can break into their own devices. Also, I thought there was overwhelming support by the public for a tech company to aid government authorities in cases involving terrorism and other major criminal activities, as long as a proper warrant is provided. The public just doesn’t want the government snooping on EVERYONE at their whim.

Bottom line is, who knows? And however this turns out, I won’t get bent outta shape over it either way. I would be a little disappointed, though, if Apple refuses to help, considering the gravity of the situation. I just don’t believe this device isn’t hackable...

Thanks for the info, TrueBrit...

edit on 2/18/2016 by netbound because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: netbound
a reply to: TrueBrit
TrueBritI just don’t believe this device isn’t hackable...

It isn't.

There is just a lot of binary opinions in the media and on most forums and the nuance gets lost in the noise.

It's possible to take a logical image of current gen unlocked iphones. It's also possible to sync the phone to an icloud back up and get data that way while its locked. If the phone is jail broken you can acquire a physical image and bypass security. Technically there are incredibly time consuming ways to get the thing unlocked, too.

Its highly likely that the device will get cracked further in some way shape or form, but the peanut gallery is their own disinformation on this.

You're quoting Will Strafach btw who has weighed in quite heavily on the issue. Two tweets below. One pointing out the obvious, that a lot of people are incredibly wrong. The other as below.

Personally think Apple is just encouraging an approach that will cost law enforcement an awful lot of money in the long term. They want to stop it before it gets rolling.

Will Strafach @chronic
Will Strafach Retweeted Micah Lee

I'm starting to believe the theory that there is more at play here. something Apple isn't allowed to talk about.

Will Strafach ‏@chronic · 19h19 hours ago

if I didn't have a far more interesting startup to work on, I could probably make a full-time job out of clearing up infosec misinformation.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I think App;e should step aside and give them the information they want. However, it would be going against privacy and secure...

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join