It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House: Obama Will Not Attend Justice Scalia's Funeral

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: queenofswords
He never misses a single opportunity to prove that he does not care about all Americans....only those that kiss his skinny arse.

I know this is something of a shocker, but you have no evidence that "all Americans" agree with your postulations like this; it is unreasonable to ask you to limit your proclamations to what you personally believe and leave the rest of us out of it.

Just because the right-wing fringe worships Scalia doesn't mean anyone else does.

And just because the same fringe hates Obama doesn't mean anyone else does.

Here's another personal opinion that carries far more rational evidence than your position: Scalia doesn't deserve ANY honors for the simple fact that he man did everything he could to transform the Supreme Court into yet another politically biased body and further by working tirelessly against equality for ALL Americans.

It is my opinion. I don't deny that. Just like that tripe you posted here is an opinion and absolutely devoid of any depth of factual insight. I won't argue opinion against opinion. It's fruitless.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   

He never misses a single opportunity to prove that he does not care about all Americans....only those that kiss his skinny arse.

I know this is something of a shocker, but you have no evidence that "all Americans" agree with your postulations like this; it is unreasonable to ask you to limit your proclamations to what you personally believe and leave the rest of us out of it.

Just because the right-wing fringe worships Scalia doesn't mean anyone else does.

And just because the same fringe hates Obama doesn't mean anyone else does.

Here's another personal opinion that carries far more rational evidence than your position: Scalia doesn't deserve ANY honors for the simple fact that he man did everything he could to transform the Supreme Court into yet another politically biased body and further by working tirelessly against equality for ALL Americans.

It is my opinion. I don't deny that. Just like that tripe you posted here is an opinion and absolutely devoid of any depth of factual insight. I won't argue opinion against opinion. It's fruitless.

LOL there's an easy fix ... just stop claiming that "all Americans" share your opinion ... /shrug

By the way, don't let what I said get in the way of, how did you put it? your "metaphorical kissing" of Scalia's rather plump fundament.

Best.
edit on 18-2-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I did not say all Americans share my opinion. As usual, you read something entirely different from what the words say.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Besides that ...

Four out of the past seven funerals for a Supreme Court justice have either had the president or vice president in attendance.

NBC News

The President does not always attend a Justice's funeral. The ravening and slobbering on the Right over this demonstrates clearly just how irrational things have become in American politics.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Besides that ...

Four out of the past seven funerals for a Supreme Court justice have either had the president or vice president in attendance.

NBC News

The President does not always attend a Justice's funeral. The ravening and slobbering on the Right over this demonstrates clearly just how irrational things have become in American politics.

Irrational? Nah. Disgusted? Yes.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   

I did not say all Americans share my opinion. As usual, you read something entirely different from what the words say.

"Physician, heal thyself."

I quoted what you said. You don't speak for all Americans. When you use the phrase "all Americans" you're clearly implying that we all feel as you do.

We do not.

Scalia was an ideologue who also thought he spoke for the majority of Americans. He was, at best, the voice of five of nine.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Agreed. It's gone beyond ridiculous into ludicrous.

Obama could buy everyone an AR-15, put on a bacon-suit and run through a mosque, and personally shoot illegal Mexicans himself at the border and the Republicans would somehow find problems with it.

Why he even tries?

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Besides that ...

NBC News

Who is disgusted?

You?

Everyone on the Right?

Trust me on this one, which is at least a generally true, provable statement ... neither you nor American Conservatives have the corner on disgust.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Besides that ...

NBC News

Ya it isn't a very PC move by obama huh?
We need to call the PC police and get that corrected ASAP!

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Agreed. It's gone beyond ridiculous into ludicrous.

Obama could buy everyone an AR-15, put on a bacon-suit and run through a mosque, and personally shoot illegal Mexicans himself at the border and the Republicans would somehow find problems with it.

Why he even tries?

Oh, I've been saying something similar for years. I don't even agree with a lot that he does, but it doesn't matter what the man does.

Trying to coddle the Republicans and work with them has created some of the most ludicrous legislation and policies we've seen in decades.

I fear that if I were President, I might demonstrate exactly what an actual "tyrant" is like at this point.

I honestly wouldn't blame the man if he resigned after all the crap. LOL ... then Biden could appoint him to the Supreme Court even before Hillary gets elected. Or whomever. Heheheh.

Conservatives should be careful what they pray for.
edit on 18-2-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Besides that ...

NBC News

Ya it isn't a very PC move by obama huh?
We need to call the PC police and get that corrected ASAP!

Well ... just speak the truth why don't you?

PC isn't just for the loony left no more ... apparently. [sic]

LOL, Well done.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I am sorry to point out that you are incorrect. My point was for an active Justice dying while in office. The source article obfuscates this point by bringing up the cases of the Justices who had retired from the court and died some time after their retirement.

This is not such a case. This is a sitting, active Justice of the Supreme Court who has died in the midst of serving the People. In those cases, Presidents and Heads of States attend the funeral. They do not just show up to pay their respects at a venue before the funeral. You have been misled by an article crafted to make Obama's decision not seem like the bizarre aberration in protocol that it is.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   

That is simply not true when the Justice is still active and sitting on the bench at the time of his death. Presidents and Heads of State attend the funerals of such high judges or justices when they die in office. That is the Western international norm, and that is the norm observed by U.S. Presidents before President Obama.

When a Justice has retired, then the government sends a representative though on occasion the Head of State will still attend the funeral.

This is not a matter of the behaviour of the right or the left. This is a matter of the honour due a Justice who dies whilst still in office serving his country in his position on the High Court.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 03:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad

originally posted by: matafuchs
The last SCOTUS who died in office was eulogized by the sitting president at the time. The SCOTUS should not be about party but interpretation of the Constitution and the laws of the US. Sorry, but a sitting Justice dying in office should be a big deal. This could change the way the country leans for decades. He should speak at the service and maybe it would do something to unite the country, you know, do some good?

The last one was by Bush but, both he and Cheney skipped the one before that White's. Depending on how well the knew them on occasion a President will attend. Sometimes they send the Veep. Sometimes neither attend. Even Thurgood Marshall only got a VP. And lets face it attending a funeral of somebody who's views are out of touch and even offensive to most of the country is not a great idea.

This should literally be the last post in the thread.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Kapriti

The "Western International Norm" eh?

Why don't you cite that from somewhere official besides pulling it out of ... your own belief.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369
Scalia was deserving of nothing but contempt, it's a pity there's no hell for him to go to.....GJ Barry!

AMEN!
Ain't THAT the truth!

Good riddance!

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

Good for him. I wouldn't want to attend the funeral of that man either. Hell, it's not like Obama knew him as more than an occasional handshake or second hand email.

And this is why nobody trusts you guys to pick the next judge.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   
This thread is an interesting read.

From what I can gather, it appears this is a perfect example of Right Wing political correctness and hypocrisy.

Honestly, who cares if Obama goes to the funeral and how arrogant and petty does one have to be to use this as a political tool against Obama?

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kapriti
a reply to: ExNihiloRed

Obama's decision that he and his wife will not attend the funeral of a Supreme Court Justice flies in the face of all norms and protocols observed by Western nations. It is unthinkable that a President or Head of State would not attend the public funeral of a justice or chief justice of the nation's highest court who died in office. It simply is not done unless the President or Head of State is too ill to attend or had a conflicting funeral in his own family or even conceivably in the government.

In a short check of funerals of Supreme Court Justices who died whilst sitting on the bench, in each case the US President attended the public funeral. My search was not exhaustive, but I wanted to be sure that there was not some bizarre deviation from international norms peculiar to the USA wherein the President would routinely not attend a funeral of a sitting Justice. The simple norm and basic protocol of the USA has been that the President attends the funeral of a sitting Justice of the Supreme Court.

I don't think there that are many that have died in office to talk about precedent, William Rehnquist in 2005. But before him, the last justice to die in office was Robert H. Jackson in 1954, and Eisenhower was unable to attend.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

That seems like a lot of effort. He should just drone them.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join