It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House: Obama Will Not Attend Justice Scalia's Funeral

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ExNihiloRed
Your post is an unfortunate demonstration of childish antics. Your post serves no purpose other than to insult.

Absolutely correct...

This is why I don't even bother reading those types of posts anymore.

The credibility is 100% nonexistent.

Fortunately, those posters usually keep the same avatar so it's easy to see when its time to scroll right on by...

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Hmmmm..... seems like being POTUS is different than being an everyday citizen, huh?

Some one should tell Mitch McConnell!

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ExNihiloRed

Just because you don't understand the point of my post, doesn't make it "nonsense". This is a political thread, expressing indignation (outrage, offense, shock, etc.) over the fact that, instead of going to the funeral, Obama will visit the body to pay respects at the Supreme Court.

If, instead, Obama had decided to attend the funeral, the same people here who are so insulted, would be JUST as insulted, saying that Obama had no business being there and trying to get attention for himself.

In other words, regardless what Obama had done, you lot would be criticizing him for his choice.

My guess is that Obama didn't want to cause a scene by his presence at the funeral.

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
Obama should be going to show his respects for a man who served in that position since the 1980s...nearly 2/3rds of Obama's lifetime (or so)...and if not for the man, at least for his willingness to do the job for which he was nominated and doing it with passion.

He IS going, on Friday, to pay his respects at the Supreme Court! Biden will be at the funeral to represent the White House.
edit on 2/17/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Lets see if I have this correctly ...

Scalia deserves respect because of his office ... but Obama doesn't and never has.

Ah, dissonance!

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Funny how that works. Very astute observation.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Considering how he conducted himself at Nelson Mandela's service, it's probably for the best. Scalia was a National Treasure and deserves better than to have Obama there.

No.

Scalia is not a national treasure.
He is s dead.
He was never a national treasure while alive.
He might have a park bench or two named after him.
But there wil never be the Antonin Scalia School of Law.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Many would disagree with you.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Scalia is happy he probably didn't want him there anyways. Maybe the prez is respecting him by not showing up.

edit on 17-2-2016 by Tarzan the apeman. because: youre ugly and your feet stink

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Having someone represent your administration is different than going yourself.

Also, I would expect you to understand that I'm talking about the funeral when I said, "Obama should be going to show his respects..."

But, I could care less, really. I just find it irresponsible of our nation's figurehead to choose not to attend the funeral of one of the people in a top position of a co-equal branch of government, regardless as to whether or not their ideologies aligned. But honestly, I'm not surprised anymore by the irresponsible things that our presidents do in the last few decades, so, meh.

edit on 17-2-2016 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
The last SCOTUS who died in office was eulogized by the sitting president at the time. The SCOTUS should not be about party but interpretation of the Constitution and the laws of the US. Sorry, but a sitting Justice dying in office should be a big deal. This could change the way the country leans for decades. He should speak at the service and maybe it would do something to unite the country, you know, do some good?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.
Maybe the prez is respecting him by not showing up.

That's a great point! I don't think Scalia was a big Obama fan...and probably wouldn't have wanted him at his funeral!

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The prez just has no class. When you're the boss you take the high road, set a precedent and attend the funeral wether or not you agreed or liked the man. That's what a good leader does. He tries to unite the masses instead of drawing a line in the sand.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I just find it irresponsible of our nation's figurehead to choose not to attend the funeral of one of the people in a top position of a co-equal branch of government, regardless as to whether or not their ideologies aligned.

Are you suggesting that Obama should....wait for it....act politically correct on this matter?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
You guys do realize that this is going to be used as a talking point for weeks to come, right? I doubt Obama missing the funeral is anything other than a distraction so that people will complain and bicker about something that has absolutely no bearing on anything that matters.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
The last SCOTUS who died in office was eulogized by the sitting president at the time. The SCOTUS should not be about party but interpretation of the Constitution and the laws of the US. Sorry, but a sitting Justice dying in office should be a big deal. This could change the way the country leans for decades. He should speak at the service and maybe it would do something to unite the country, you know, do some good?

The last one was by Bush but, both he and Cheney skipped the one before that White's. Depending on how well the knew them on occasion a President will attend. Sometimes they send the Veep. Sometimes neither attend. Even Thurgood Marshall only got a VP. And lets face it attending a funeral of somebody who's views are out of touch and even offensive to most of the country is not a great idea.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
"Joined with the first lady?" Yikes! Anyway, are they sure that's a lady?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Considering how he conducted himself at Nelson Mandela's service, it's probably for the best. Scalia was a National Treasure and deserves better than to have Obama there.

A national treasure?

You're really trying your hardest to get some of us to speak ill of the dead.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

They may want to watch out for Nicolas Cage attending the funeral, wouldn't want Scalia's body to go missing in another National Treasure heist.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

The article also says:

Four out of the past seven funerals for a Supreme Court justice have either had the president or vice president in attendance.

So obviously it's not a foregone conclusion that the President will attend the funerals of Supreme Court justices and in fact, Presidents have attended less than half of the seven most recent.

Maybe there would be less criticism if there was less ignorance of protocol and modern precedent?
edit on 2016-2-17 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

The article also says:

Four out of the past seven funerals for a Supreme Court justice have either had the president or vice president in attendance.

So obviously it's not a foregone conclusion that the President will attend the funerals of Supreme Court justices and in fact, Presidents have attended less than half of the seven most recent.

Maybe there would be less criticism if there was less ignorance of protocol and modern precedent?

What does precedence and protocol have to do with it? This is a matter of respect, in my opinion. I don't care how disrespectful our other presidents have been. I'm not saying there should be a law that the president attend the funeral. I just think it is in poor taste that he is not attending. My opinion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join