It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smart fabric

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Since I can’t access my blog at the moment to discuss my recent obe escapades & tips, here is something else that piqued my interest. I would be very interested in this product to avoid nasty stains on leather car interiors.

Of course, it also seemed inevitable that the technology is also being considered for military applications like every new technology that comes along. That’s no surprise.

Now, high fashion is meeting high tech -- in this case, at Nano-Tex in Emeryville, Calif. which has developed a new fabric that is showing up in Brooks Brothers shirts, Nordstrom ties, and travelsmith sports jackets
Where normal fabric absorbs stains like grape juice, nanotech fabric from Nano-Tex repels it. The fabric is coated with molecules the company engineered. They attach themselves to one another, and then attach to the fabric forming a nano shield against stains. But unlike like Scotch-Guard or traditional coatings, this nano approach doesn't change the texture of the fabric.

Nano-Tex is already on store shelves, but now it may be coming to a soldier or police officer soon.

Sensatex, based in Bethesda, Md., is working with the military, emergency workers and doctors to develop what it calls a “smart shirt” -- clothing featuring tiny microscopic wires interwoven into the fabric itself.
By turning garments into communication devices, this kind of technology that could one day help outfit the soldier of the future, keeping track of vital signs, and even heat up or cool down depending on the weather.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Ah yes Nanotex. I absolutely LOVE this company. My father got a pair of Wrinkle Proof pants, has had them for a couple of months and the crease is still there! They are also coming out with odor-eating socks(as well as anti-bacterial). I want them to come out with a whole wardrobe that is : Stain Proof, Wrinkle Proof, Odor Proof and Anti-bacterial all in one. As of now they have not accomplished this goal but they are getting close according to the Nano-Grapevine. 2005 is going to be the banner year for early Nanotechnology.

Interesting Pdf file(requires Adobe Acrobat Reader)

www.npr.org...

join