It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home made Bionic arm by disabled man

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Amazing video! Now just imagine what's going to happen with 3D printers and VR technology with millions of coders out there now.

www.rt.com...

Wayan Sumardana, a welder known as 'Tawan', created a self-made bionic arm in his workshop in a village near Bali. The 31-year-old Indonesian suffered a stroke six months ago, which left his left arm paralyzed. Sumardana developed a bionic arm from scrap and used metal parts, to help him keep working as a welder. The bionic arm functions by using signals from electrodes connected to Sumardana's scalp. The welder managed to create it using knowledge acquired during studies at a vocational school as well as searching on the internet.

So what most would consider these days, just a dumb farmer with no skills on his own without instruction from a mentor or teacher create his own robotic arm. Now damn... Tell me if that's not some serious talent at work.

See what can he accomplished with the Internet when used correctly?

How much do you think it would cost to learn that in a university?

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   
10's of millions of dollars spent by the military building exoskeletons for soldiers

"talented disabled engineer builds exoskeleton using scrap metal"

People like this man are truly born geniuses. It makes me wonder how many people there are hidden throughout the world, living in poverty, yet could be the very people who could change the entire human race with the natural talents they are born with
edit on 16/2/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

I know right!

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Never f**k with a welder, they can do all kinds of sorcery the likes most regular humans don't understand.
edit on 16-2-2016 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Its non functioning he's pulling a fast one. No actuators elbow and shoulder don't do anything but restrict motion.when looking at the back he has only what I can assume is a pressure tank with tubes however when you look closely you notice all the tubes seem to run under his glove. In one seen you can clearly see the tube is pinched and obviously not strong enough to hold more than a couple of pounds. The container for compressed air is to small and would constantly need to be recharged notice no pump. It's all for show nothing more.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   
My husband is from Indonesia and the talk he's heard is that it's fake, something to do with the computer mother board or something . I don't understand him a lot of the time.

It wouldn't surprise me if hither guys invention is the real mc coy as they are very clever at make stuff in Indonesia. Good on the guy if it is true.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   

I did some reading on this a few weeks ago and found this BBC article.

Unfortunately the scientists who tried to examine it could not seem to verify the device worked or confirm that any part of it made sense. He also claimed it was controlled via some semi-mystic method that didn't work for anyone else.

Cool gimmick, but a gimmick.
edit on 2/16/16 by Ksihkehe because: Typo

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

I did some reading on this a few weeks ago and found this BBC article.

Unfortunately the scientists who tried to examine it could not seem to verify the device worked or confirm that any part of it made sense. He also claimed it was controlled via some semi-mystic method that didn't work for onyone else.

Cool gimmick, but a gimmick.

That's very unfortunate

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I don't know much about electrodes and computer circuits.

Here is my take as a theatrical designer, fabricator, welder, tradesman, etc:

This is a wonderful steampunk costume.

From what I've seen with articulated false limbs they are controlled by servos by pressure where the false limb fits over the existing limb.
There is far to much gearing, and far to little pneumatic, or hydraulic manipulation for this to be efficient with today's tech, and specifically computer tech.
There is also a lack of anything visible for the articulation of wrist movements as seen in the video. Just looking at the exposed "workings" of this device, to have full articulation of wrist and fingers, he could not be wearing the glove.
If by chance I am wrong there should be visible proof of mechanisms at work or at least present under the glove.
I see no evidence.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme
I don't know much about electrodes and computer circuits.

Here is my take as a theatrical designer, fabricator, welder, tradesman, etc:

This is a wonderful steampunk costume.

From what I've seen with articulated false limbs they are controlled by servos by pressure where the false limb fits over the existing limb.
There is far to much gearing, and far to little pneumatic, or hydraulic manipulation for this to be efficient with today's tech, and specifically computer tech.
There is also a lack of anything visible for the articulation of wrist movements as seen in the video. Just looking at the exposed "workings" of this device, to have full articulation of wrist and fingers, he could not be wearing the glove.
If by chance I am wrong there should be visible proof of mechanisms at work or at least present under the glove.
I see no evidence.

Gloves what glove?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I have to say it looks fake.
Take off the glove and let us see whats underneath.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
The first thing I thought was "We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile."

I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Then you folks have to bring actual reality into the discussion. I hate it when that happens.

But, yeah, not nearly enough computer power there to decode electrical signals from his headband.

-dex

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
10's of millions of dollars spent by the military building exoskeletons for soldiers

"talented disabled engineer builds exoskeleton using scrap metal"

People like this man are truly born geniuses. It makes me wonder how many people there are hidden throughout the world, living in poverty, yet could be the very people who could change the entire human race with the natural talents they are born with

yep. I've always said the person who could bring the globe together, and unite us is somewhere in the world in his garden pruning his roses, or teaching in a community college, or in another obscure pastime. Not enough people have a chance anymore. LOUD and MONIED wins these days.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Is this the new viral trailer for District 9.5 starring Indonesian Bruno Mars?

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Very sad to learn this is fake!

My left arm is crippled, when I first read of this, I thought, even though I'm not very smart, maybe I can follow a blueprint and do something.

Actually this is kinda sick... there are so many people who have lost arms and legs or cannot anymore use them properly and most do not have the money they can't afford a bionic anything, so if it was possible to make some device from home materials, it would be such a blessing.

To invent a fakery is kinda... twisted. Give people wrong hope.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Science will do incredible things in the coming years

new topics

top topics

join