It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good Guy With Gun Prevents Tragedy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Curious69

Why would it?

Catch media attention?

I was right, not a peep.

You won't ever find news of civilians saving themselves or others with firearms on TV.

Go ahead, look…. I'll wait.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I guess the rarety of somebody with a gun saving someone makes those rare cases drown in other news.
the rarety of this happening makes no case for gunownership.
besides you guys have fox news and if that outlet wont report those rare cases then you really have a bad case.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Im just guessing here, but im pretty sure that most of those who get shot and their familys could not care less about what the majorety of gunowners think and are capable of.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Curious69

I guess the rarety of somebody with a gun saving someone makes those rare cases drown in other news.
the rarety of this happening makes no case for gunownership.
besides you guys have fox news and if that outlet won't report those rare cases then you really have a bad case.

You have car insurance or home insurance too, but hope you never have to use it either.

We switched the topic from hunting and target practice to self defense? Yah, its rare, but you want need that firearm the one time in your life the crumbinal comes into your home at night where your wife and children sleep…

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Your argument for owning a gun i can understand to the extend that you live in fear, because you did not choose to
legislate ownership in time your country is flooded with firearms and you expect to be met with a gun in a home invasion
or on the streets.
i come from different circumstances where we have gun control and the only people expected to have a firearm are hunters
who are only allowed to hunt and own a gun(long barrel) if they participate in a test each year.
a minimum of criminals have guns because they do not expect to be met with at gunpoint and they are very difficult to obtain, so we do not live in fear of being shot its comparable to being afraid of traffic or air crashes the relatively low frequency of accidents makes fear of that happening sort of irrationel.
in light of your rational fear i can understand your wish to own a gun, but its a product of a arms race and bad policy that you need to have that fear.
we have maybe 3-5 episodes each year tops where police have to fire their weapons,and the number of innocents that fall victim to criminals fireing guns are around zero every year. so im asking is it worth to arm your self under those circumstances? like other men i find firearms exiting but i would never swap my gun free enviroment for the fear that you live under, and the right to own a gun.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I have a hammer to pound nails too, but I don't live in fear of having to use it. You are in fact projecting your own fears upon others. Thats the real problem with gun 'control' , some think they can control criminal behavior by passing laws…

lulz

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I dont live in fear of having to face a gun in my home, that was your argument for owning, a hammer? now thats just so childish of a argument that i refuse to take you serious, we have guncontrol and it works, did you miss something?
and you cant prevent criminals to exist guns or no guns death penalty or no death penalty.
just like i cant prevent that you use a lame hammer argument in a gun debate.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I dont live in fear of having to face a gun in my home, that was your argument for owning, a hammer? now thats just so childish of a argument that i refuse to take you serious, we have guncontrol and it works, did you miss something?
and you cant prevent criminals to exist guns or no guns death penalty or no death penalty.
just like i cant prevent that you use a lame hammer argument in a gun debate.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

A gun, a knife a car, all potentially lethal in the wrong hands. Your problem is you focus on things people use instead of intent.

Gun control doesn't 'work'. If you live somewhere that has less crime, wonderful. Care to reveal where this magical kingdom is?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Hell no we only risk that people with your attitude comes running. i stay in my relative paradise and you stay in yours.
and further facts would only confuse you.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   

I would refer you to this post on page one:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The ONLY study conducted that shows defensive gun use as ONLY a matter of justifiable homicide is the ONLY study cited by leftists and the media...and you, of course.

The real myth is that defense with a gun is rare. If you ONLY count justifiable homicide involving a firearm then your numbers are going to be really low because CCW holders tend to be far more judicious than even the police when it comes to actually using the gun.

MOST cases of self defense with a gun do not involve a death.

It is this kind of dishonest reporting and incomplete data gathering that makes people believe that guns serve no real deterrent to crime, when in fact, the CDC under Obama came to a much different conclusion about the use of guns in self defense.

www.nap.edu...

This study also references Kleck's research from the late 80s and 90s, to date the most comprehensive study of lawful self defense with firearms ever conducted.

Please ACTUALLY bother to read this study, and search for Kleck's work as well. It will be eye opening.

That is, of course, if you don't wanna get pie on your face repeating lies based on incomplete data and lack of knowledge on these issues.
edit on 17 2 16 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

(post by Curious69 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:47 AM
link   

*SNIP*

Anecdotes and namecalling isn't evidence.

I rest my case.

Edit to Add:

And what experience might that be? Been in a lot of gun fights have you? Used guns at the range every week? Armed police officer? Soldier? What exactly is your "experience" if none of these apply? What kind of "experience" do you have when you haven't even engaged in actual American gun culture?
edit on 18 2 16 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/20/2016 by Mirthful Me because: Mannered content removed...

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Always good to politicise a tragedy.

Except when the other side does it, then it's disgusting.

Except this is not being politicized. That would be when someone with an illegal gun commits a crime and they use it to make it harder for law abiding citizens to exercise their right.

Is anyone here using a legal example to push for illegal gun use? Nope.

This incident goes against everything liberals want Americans to believe about guns.

Not from what I've heard.

Then you are not listening. Because that's all they talk about. They do not talk about getting illegal guns off the street, they want sweeping reform targeting legal gun owners.

In fact this is the sort of scenario they wish was more common, minus the stabbing part, sadly it is an absolute rarity compared to murder.

Except they don't because they constantly say it doesn't ever happen .. and ignore the times it does. Can you show me any liberals deep in the gun debate who talk about these scenarios and praise them?

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Curious69

Hell no we only risk that people with your attitude comes running. i stay in my relative paradise and you stay in yours.
and further facts would only confuse you.

Thought not. A place on earth with no guns, hammers, bricks or knives doesn't exist.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Good try billy bob.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Mod note:

Let's not get too personal.

OK?

Do not reply to this post.

new topics

top topics