It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Marshals Are Arresting People For Not Paying Student Loans

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Thanks for that info. IMO Accounting adjustments are pretty easy, just replace with a 0.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Hey at least in the UK we only have to pay back our loans once we start earning a certain amount and the interest on those loans is minimal in line with inflation. Not to mention the loan lasts only until age of retirement then it gets wiped if not paid. You can always leave the country too and refuse to pay until it gets wiped.

Not that I agree with anybody having to pay to get an education, I think it should be free but we live in a nation were debt is supposedly good for the nation...

As for the OP I think it's disgusting tactics, the government wants people to get better educations to get better jobs to pay more taxes, but what are people supposed to do when there are no better jobs and cannot afford to repay their loan ? Apparently the answer is to just arrest them and brand them as criminals.

I hate society and things like this just make me hate it even more and really not be a part of it but there's no way to escape it

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Sanders 2016!

Student loans and the cost of going to college is becoming a form of indentured servitude.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Yes, this has always been a problem.

It's Fanny Mae in this instance (rather than Freddie Mac) that is creating the bubble (more on that another time). These draconian anti-bankruptcy laws were put in place as backstops to the fear that people would go broke.

That's easy, just make it illegal to go broke!

Another foul unconstitutional Intervention brought to you by both sides of the aisle.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I'm not negating the fact that federally subsidized loans to students are a major reason that "higher education" has lost affordability (amongst many other variables and factors), nor that the practice behind the loans (and the relatively recent usurping of the student loan racket by the Fed Govt) are shady and absolutely in the best interest of the loaner, but no one is forcing these kids to take a loan.

Yes, I know the argument that, in our current society, one must have a degree in this or that to be successful, but I don't necessarily subscribe to that in all cases, nor do I believe that everyone is college material, nor should every job necessitate a college degree.

While I think that the predatory lending of the government is a major issue, I think that the "need" to take part in such lending is based on the cultural views that I just mentioned...and I would argue that this view on higher education has been marketed by the Department of Education.

Basically, we have the federal government feeding a narrative that you need college (and society morphing into agreement with that), then the same government taking over the loaning of money in a predatory way to the kids (and their parents) who "need" the money to go to college.

Anyone else smell the stink in this circle of life?

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

Its still a scam as most the degrees in the UK are not worth the paper its printed on.

Unless its a Bsc your degrees prettu much useless.

The government funneled millions of kids through university who should never have been there.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
It's all part of how our political systems are run now. It's run by banks, hence the loans and other financial institutions hence the rise in medical costs paid for by insurance in the main.

They own us and they don't care that we know it, because many of us still worship at its altar.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
Good. Dead-beat hippies need to pay back what they took.

Yeah, it makes perfect sense.

Let's arrest and jail debtors costing them their jobs and ability to pay anything at all. While we're at it, let's arrest everyone of those debtors and send them to jail. Let them work off their debts for cents on the hour while interest continues at 1000x what they'd make in jail. Perpetual slave labor! That's a brilliant idea!!

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Sanders 2016!

Student loans and the cost of going to college is becoming a form of indentured servitude.

Sanders wants to give all kids free college... Do you know how stupid that is? Flooding the market with even more grads sounds like a wonderful idea... Kids already can't find employment post graduation, so hey, why not put even more candidates flooded into the market... Also, how about the fact it devalues the degrees already out there? Or the fact that some of us paid our own way through.. so we just keep paying off our loans we committed to, while others get free college? Do Bernie Sanders fans even think? Bernie is beyond clueless with all his retarded promises he keeps making, that he'll never be able to fund...

link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
University been turned into a massive money making scam.

Even here in the UK the government encouraged kids thats would have been better off in vocational trades to take bull# degrees that are pretty much worthless. Only people that win are the universitys and loan providers. The students just end up flipping burgers with massive debt.

Until either they figure out how to cook both sides of the burger at once

OR the entire burger-making process is automated.

link   
a reply to: jhn7537

Colleges really shouldn't be about giving degrees but teaching knowledge anyways...

The idea that you should need college schooling to go to many careers is just ludicrous. Most of the time, nothing you learned in college is applied to your job and you learn it completely through on the job training anyways (not including professions that require post-grad work to get into though).
edit on 16-2-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
It sounds like loansharking. They even have thugs to bust down your door.
]

It is and the interest rate they charge is fixed at a high rate (like 6% or something) that can't be refinanced. Combine that with fines and late fees, the ability to directly interdict your tax returns and a host of other potentially abusable powers and you've got yourself an organization.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Considering how much more of our tax money the government has absolutely pissed away in the pursuit of "freedom by bombs", arming ISIS, multi million dollar gas stations, multi million dollar condos for contractors, bank bailouts, failed green energy, etc etc...

How the hell does the government even think to begin they have any place coming after anyone for debts. They're 20 trillion dollars in debt!!! Maybe they should balance their own budget first.

edit on 2/16/2016 by EternalSolace because: Spelling

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

I'm screwed by student loans and bad mistakes, I don't want others to suffer the same fate as I did. Sorry your so selfish you'd rather more generations screwed over like us. Is like a black man being against slavery being abolished cause it would mean his descendants didn't have to be slaves like he was.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I would raise caution about Marshalls going after student loans not paid in earlier than five years, but probably going after the loans that need to have been paid longer than 10 years....so MSM may be telling half the truth on this case.

edit on 16-2-2016 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537
And what's even better, good ole boy Bernie Sanders wants to give EVERY kid free college, essentially flooding the market and devaluing the degree that some of us worked our ass offfor. I was a full time student (12-18 credit hours every quarter), I worked my day job 7-5pm every day and then I did night school from 5:45 to 10pm at night 4 nights a week.. It really pisses me off that I could possibly need to pay off my loan after all that hard work, while some other kids may get it for nothing...

So because you got the shaft, everyone should get the shaft? That doesn't seem like a defensible position to me.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

I'm screwed by student loans and bad mistakes, I don't want others to suffer the same fate as I did. Sorry your so selfish you'd rather more generations screwed over like us. Is like a black man being against slavery being abolished cause it would mean his descendants didn't have to be slaves like he was.

I'm not selfish, I'm realistic... These utopic society's you all dream up are not reality. Giving all kids free college is not reality... Sorry... I made it work by working my ass off. People today are too lazy, and want everything given to them. I agree college is WAY too expensive, and costs should be lowered, but giving it out for free is preposterous...

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

And what's even better, good ole boy Bernie Sanders wants to give EVERY kid free college, essentially flooding the market and devaluing the degree that some of us worked our ass offfor. I was a full time student (12-18 credit hours every quarter), I worked my day job 7-5pm every day and then I did night school from 5:45 to 10pm at night 4 nights a week.. It really pisses me off that I could possibly need to pay off my loan after all that hard work, while some other kids may get it for nothing...

So because you got the shaft, everyone should get the shaft? That doesn't seem like a defensible position to me.

I dont believe I was given the shaft... I appreciated those years. I worked my ass off, I learned a lot about myself, and I pushed myself to levels I never knew I could reach... I appreaciated the challenge, and I made the best of it, and I'm better today for it... I guess more people just want things for free.. Our generation today is very lazy.. i'm only 30, i have loads of friends who i watch every day caring more about partying/reality tv/socializing.. I was all about my future, which is why i worked hard at it... So, to see someone trying to take away my hard work doesn't make me too happy...

link   

originally posted by: Swills

Sanders 2016!

Sanders wants to give all kids free college... Do you know how stupid that is? Flooding the market with even more grads sounds like a wonderful idea... Kids already can't find employment post graduation, so hey, why not put even more candidates flooded into the market... Also, how about the fact it devalues the degrees already out there? Or the fact that some of us paid our own way through.. so we just keep paying off our loans we committed to, while others get free college? Do Bernie Sanders fans even think? Bernie is beyond clueless with all his retarded promises he keeps making, that he'll never be able to fund...

I know right? The last thing the world needs is more BA grads.

If it were up to me i would abolish all government student loans .
The offer free scholarships for unprivileged kids that want to do Science and engineering degrees.

link   

And what's even better, good ole boy Bernie Sanders wants to give EVERY kid free college, essentially flooding the market and devaluing the degree that some of us worked our ass offfor.

Never mind the cost end of it, what you say right here is the elephant in the room. YOU don't want people to have access to higher education because YOU don't want the competition?

You know what, I bet if someone asked every boot-strapper out there who's derided people who can't afford college as lazy underachievers how the above resonates with them, they'd probably agree. It's not the affordability that "F you, I got mine" folks dislike, it's really the applicant competition.
So when they're bitching about the low-wage workers stuck in poverty wages and knocking them for not attending college, they're secretly fist-pumping that there's that many fewer people to compete with them in their chosen industry.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join