It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Church Hosts 'Blasphemous' Play Portraying Jesus as Transexual Woman for Queer Festival

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:
(post by chuck258 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut
A transsexual portraying Jesus as something He was not is both slanderous by our law and blasphemous by God's law. Looks like a sin to me.

How do you know this? What if the Bible got it wrong?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: markosity1973
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The OP says the play reimagines Jesus as a transsexual woman. As a result, people are going to find that offensive, sinful or not.

Being a transsexual is not wrong, I'm sure you and I both know that, but remember, Christians are very conservative so this is shocking to them.

True enough, but it's really none of their business. Free speech and freedom of religion and all that.

Not in our house of worship!

If you want to do this at a local park or wherever is fine but not in the house of God.

Can you understand this?

Your house of worship? I'm betting dollars to donuts that this isn't your church, so what say do YOU have over what happens there?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Agreed, but when doing something controversial like this among a group of people who are known to be conservative, one has to expect the same freedom of speech to be used against them.

Just saying.

Hey, I'm not saying the OP isn't allowed to complain about this. I'm just remarking on how silly it looks when he does it.

edit on 17-2-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
My tuppence:

Aren't god/jesus and the ghost one "omnipotent"? Because if god is everywhere and all things, then god is also transexual etc. Isn't gods love supposed to be everywhere?

Let them without sin... The Bible is the word of god right? I'm pretty sure there's scripture saying the word of god is unalterable - so any church doctrine not recited in Aramaic/Hebrew/Enochian(?) is blasphemous in and of itself, if you want to be a christian, then live by those rules, you know before casting the first stone.

There are so many damn hypocrisies in the text itself - the King James version itself a blasphemy - an altering of the holy word of god! Why, if people cherry-pick from the bible take the bits that enable you to be a dick?

Also, I used to live in Manchester, great LGBTQ community. From what my LGBTQ friends told me, man doesn't lie with man as he does woman, different anatomy and all would you a thunk it?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: chuck258

a reply to: DeathSlayer

And? Are queer people not allowed to watch plays put on by transsexuals in a church?

How is this play any worse than watching Life of Brian?

Are random people not allowed to draw pictures of the pedophile prophet Mohammed without legitimate fear of violence?

I actually don't care and was one of the ones who defended Charlie Hebdo when they did that.

How is this case of someone portraying Jesus Christ as a Trans-sexual worse than me drawing a picture of Mohammed?

It means the same to me actually. If you want to draw a picture, do it.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   

A transsexual portraying Jesus as something He was not is both slanderous by our law and blasphemous by God's law. Looks like a sin to me.

What if whoever wrote that Mohammed commanded he never be drawn wrong?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

The OP says the play reimagines Jesus as a transsexual woman. As a result, people are going to find that offensive, sinful or not.

Being a transsexual is not wrong, I'm sure you and I both know that, but remember, Christians are very conservative so this is shocking to them.

True enough, but it's really none of their business. Free speech and freedom of religion and all that.

Not in our house of worship!

If you want to do this at a local park or wherever is fine but not in the house of God.

Can you understand this?

Your house of worship? I'm betting dollars to donuts that this isn't your church, so what say do YOU have over what happens there?

ISLAMS Mohammed? I'm betting dollars to donuts that the Mohammed s that have been drawn don't portray prophet Mohammed. In fact it's the most common name in the Muslim World. What right do MUSLIMS have to demand we stop drawing people named Mohammed?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: chuck258

What if whoever wrote that Mohammed commanded he never be drawn wrong?

What if. I never said it was wrong to draw mohammed either. Why are we talking about Islam though? This thread is about Christianity.

Stop deflecting about Muslims and mohammed. I don't make those proclamations; I CERTAINLY didn't make them in this thread. So it is all off topic and a red herring.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
This is PC gone mad! While I'm certainly not a Christian and very much hate when Christians(or others) try to impose their beliefs on others or insist that America was founded on Christian principles (many of the key founders were deists but that's for another thread) this is insane. And yes I know this happened in the U.K. Before anyone decides to crucify me; I was simply giving an example. At any rate I believe that Trans peoples rights should be respected but in this case this play was extremely disrespectful. Imagine a fundamentalist Christian group performing a biblical play emphasizing its stance on homosexuality and then extentending that to Trans people in a LGBT community center? It would be torn apart and hated. Accusations of bigotry, homophobia and transphobia(is that a word?) would apply. The above hypothetical would be equally disrespectful.

I know, I know, we'll be told that while the hypothetical situation above would certainly be disrespectful Trans folks are disrespected on a daily basis. Perhaps they are but I can tell you this much folks; I have a 4 year old daughter and I am extremely uncomfortable with the idea of a biological male sharing a restroom with her. In fact a few years ago I was at work and had to use the restroom. As soon as I opened the door there was one of our female employees standing at the urinal. I immediately closed the door. Not out of hatred or bigotry, but rather I recognized this women as biologically female and thought I had entered the wrong facilities. In that split second it did not occur to me that women's restrooms don't have urinals. It was a reflexive reaction and I meant no harm. I personally couldn't care less of someone is Trans, however I do question its medical validity. I have read that the former head of psychiatry at Johns Hopkins has written that being transgender is an illness of identity.(no source, Google is your friend. Will be in top results) Is this true? I have no idea, however the premise of male stuck in a female body and vice versa seems potentially anathema to science. At worst hypocrisy. I say this because a F mind stuck in an M body perhaps suggests the presence of the ever elusive soul. The idea of a human "soul" is not a widely accepted notion mainstream Western science. At any rate I don't have anything against TG people. I certainly am not calling them mentally ill. Rather I am just posing a few questions. I certainly could not ever imagine what one must feel like being in that position. However, I feel this play was in poor taste and disrespectful, not for the contents of the play itself(though many Christians will disagree, and rightfully so according to their beliefs) but rather the venue. I again point to my aforementioned comparison.

Strange times we live in indeed.....

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: s3cz0ne

Imagine a fundamentalist Christian group performing a biblical play emphasizing its stance on homosexuality and then extentending that to Trans people in a LGBT community center? It would be torn apart and hated. Accusations of bigotry, homophobia and transphobia(is that a word?) would apply. The above hypothetical would be equally disrespectful.

That would only apply IF an lgbtqrstuv community center allowed this hypothetical church group to perform there. Which is exactly what the church in Manchester did. They allowed this play to happen.
edit on 17-2-2016 by rollanotherone because: Stuff and things.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Seems like the christians in Manchester that hosted this play aren't as irrationally threatened by LGBT folk nor are they as filled with hate as many Christians in this thread are.

If christianity is going to join the 21st century and be relevant in the 22nd, more of this type of thing has to happen.
edit on 17-2-2016 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: rollanotherone

Imagine a fundamentalist Christian group performing a biblical play emphasizing its stance on homosexuality and then extentending that to Trans people in a LGBT community center? It would be torn apart and hated. Accusations of bigotry, homophobia and transphobia(is that a word?) would apply. The above hypothetical would be equally disrespectful.

That would only apply IF an lgbtqrstuv community center allowed this hypothetical church group to perform there. Which is exactly what the church in Manchester did. They allowed this play to happen.

Very true. I do not disagree. For the life of me I can't imagine what this Bishop was thinking. Said play goes entirely against his professed faith. I'd feel the same way if a Rabbi or Iman sanctioned this. It's hypocrisy and ridiculous. Again I have NO ISSUE WITH LGBT PEOPLE AT ALL. That said, why the heck are these members of the LGBT community performing a play at an institution that has a fundamental disagreement with their way of life? What happened to "Live and Let Live"? I know some Christians at times try to legislate their beliefs down others throats but the LGBT community can be just as forceful at times. I'm under 30 but call me old fashioned; I dislike seeing ANYBODY MAKE OUT IN PUBLIC! That is certainly different than a quick kiss.... It's unnecessary and indicative of " Hey look at me! I'm making a point!!!"

Regards,
s3c

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Because not all Christians believe that homosexuality or transsexualism are sins, despite what the OP seems to think.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   

It really seems you do have issues with most everybody. Also, you describe the LGBT community as shoving their beliefs down your throat. That's hypocrisy right there.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Nothing like a Christian judging others on how they practice their religion. Good times.

PS: Transsexualism and homosexuality aren't the same thing.

Sounds to me it's more judging the church leaders who let this happen in a church who considers this blasphemy. If you want to rent a play house go to it.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

It's their church. If homosexuality isn't a sin according to their religious beliefs then they have the right (freedom of religion) to express that.

If you don't like what this church preaches, there are many other churches.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Eyup

It's a blasphemy on a massive scale, however it wouldn't be the first time someone other than a bible believing Christian has been I a position of power and used it for the wrong purposes.

Whist it's a tragic thing to see, we are told that this kind of thing would come about, scoffing, falling away from the truth, people being seduced by the doctrines of Devils etc

This is a worldly thing, a place we are told to not place our hearts. These people should be prayed for.

Be prepared for this to become the norm as the word of God is diluted into the worldly celebratory religion

Regards

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 02:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: arpgme
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

It's their church. If homosexuality isn't a sin according to their religious beliefs then they have the right (freedom of religion) to express that.

If you don't like what this church preaches, there are many other churches.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this church DOES teach it's wrong. If I am not mistaken they teach homosexuality is incompatible with scripture and they do not allow gay priests.

Even assuming it doesn't, I am quite sure it does not teach Jesus was a transwoman and the things portrayed in this play.

Do you think it would be fine for a group to go into a Mosque and portray Muhammad as a pig? If you can show me this play is in line with the teachings of this church I will say it is fine. Otherwise, it's disgusting of the church leaders.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 02:50 AM
link   

It's irrelevant what Christians believe is a sin, if they want to follow Christ/God then they have to believe his word and what we are told not to do.

The bible is clear.

However from a biblical perspective homosexuality is not an unforgivable one as long as per all sin we repent. Neither do I see any scripture that instructs any persecution. Christians are told to use scripture to point out Gods word and correct false teachings and actions etc. But not to bully and persecute.

The fact this play is in a church is completely wrong, goes against what is portrayed Christ was and has a mocking tone, in my opinion. This is despite the writers assertion it was not meant to be sacreligious and only to challenge prejudice.

Well this could have been done another way. Adhering to the word of God and pointing out the word of God cannot be prejudicial to another Christian. For a Christian to upset in the manner of hurt pride, by the word of God is by definition offended by the word of God.

You cannot love God and be offended by his word

Regards

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join