It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Playing With LEGO Pays Off For Science

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Hey guys!

Since everyone loves Lego and Austria rarely makes any headlines, I had to share this one

Richard Moser, PhD Student at the University of Linz,
chose an interesting field of study for his dissertation: stretchable electronics. But soon he ran into a huge obstacle, he needed a tensile tester which costs 50,000€ and basically is overkill since it can measure more than he needed for his reasearch. So what are you going to do if you need such an expensive device and can't afford it? That's right - you build your own one with the help of LEGO Mindstorm.

Science presents not only intellectual but also financial challenges.[1, 2] Laboratory equipment in particular is expensive and usually requires large investments—a serious problem in current research with limited financial resources. Building open-source and customized hard- and software is a relatively new trend which enables the development of scientific tools that often meet particular specifications better and at lower cost than commercially available equipment.[3, 4] Many such projects require specialized tools, such as 3D printers, laser cutters, and mills, that may not be readily available to everyone—toy bricks, however, are. LEGO, and the Technic series in particular, is a highly versatile, interlocking construction kit. It combines vast design possibilities with easy and intuitive handling, which makes it the perfect platform for rapid prototyping and educational purposes.

Although some extra parts were needed, he managed to keep the costs at 700€. I recently started educating myself with micro-controller like Arduino, Linkit One etc. and realized that LEGO bricks could make an awesome replacement for 3D printed cases. Richard Moser took this idea a lot further and I think it's a wonderful example how creativity can overcome any possible roadblock.

If you are interested they published their result in full paper in "Advanced Science", click for the PDF version.

And just for the fun, I present to you, the Lego Paper Plane Machine

Have a great day.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Necessity is the mother of invention. Why spend $50k if the lego version does the job.

Legos are awesome. I just started playing with them again building the more complicated Star Wars collectible kits.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Very cool.

I wish Lego's were as advanced as that when I was a kid.

Maybe someone will make a Paper Airplane Lego Build Set for adults?!?!?!?!?

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
I wish Lego's were as advanced as that when I was a kid.

It's never too late

I mentioned combining Arduino and Lego, there's a book available by Apress Arduino and Lego Projects if someone is interesting, it's a bit pricy, but worth every buck!

And some more eyecandy for you guys

edit on 16-2-2016 by Danowski because: added video's

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Danowski

Awesome, it makes me feel like it's ok for me to play with it again (then again I'm a father to a young boy so that's all the excuse I really need).

Am so glad the title says Lego and not Legos, after all the plural of Lego is just Lego...

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Great videos. The interactive dog feeder......only 218 view since Dec 2015 and only one thumbs up? These videos make me fall in love with lego all over again.

On the hunt......

edit on 16-2-2016 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I'm late to the party y'all! But gotta say, THIS IS AWESOME!!!

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Great thread for parents and their children! Great article in the first link. Will follow the second link after coffee, thanks OP! good stuff for sharp minds.

top topics

join