It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the Government Decide if You're an Organ Donor?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I felt the need to post this. A friend of mine waited in Dallas for a week and a half waiting for a donor. He was born with a heart defect, and literally was on his last leg. After 1.5 weeks, he was gifted a heart by a very young doner, killed in a car wreck, just hours before...

This got me to thinking, after reading this article; right or wrong, organ doner save lives. I've been one since I was old enough to mark it on my license. How many mllions of lives could be saved? I am sure many will say Hail No. It's my body.... What if it were your loved one, in the hospital bed waiting for that gift of life? Would you still say "no"?

Wales and other countries have adopted an organ donation system that's seen by some as a solution to the donor deficit in the U.S.

In this Friday, Feb. 21, 2014 photo, the body of a brain-dead potential organ donor lies covered on a bed at Mid-America Transplant Services in St. Luis....

Wales and other countries have adopted an organ donation system that's seen by some as a solution to the donor deficit in the U.S.

A new policy across the Atlantic is one that's harvested interest in the U.S. as a possible way to curb the country's drastic shortage of organ donors.

Wales' "presumed consent" organ donation system assumes people want to donate their organs unless they specifically say otherwise – a departure from the opt-in policy employed throughout the U.S. in which people can note such a decision on their driver's license and sign up to be donors through a state registry. Countries like France, Italy and Spain have adopted similar opt-out policies, though Wales is the first in the U.K. to do so and officials say adequate protections are built in for those with concerns about the process.

L I N K

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

No.

No for profit corporation should have a say in any medical decisions or advice unless they have the medical degrees and medical experience in which to draw from.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I think it should be our choice, but I encourage people to consider it. I also understand and respect that some may not want too.

But if the government has a say (to use the slippery slope argument) what's to stop a world where the government decides that your organs are more important and need to be harvested for another person...dead or alive? I know its paranoia, but I read something recently about china (I think?) and the missing persons / organ harvesting underground. It's way too scary to let the government have a say in my opinion.

DFC

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader

It would be redundant since the Masons already determined this for you.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   
While I myself am an organ donor, I do not think it should be a decision taken out of our hands. It is not up to government to say what will be done with my body or a member of my family. Yes, this would help get suitable organs for those in need, but it is not something that should be forced and I honesty see this as un Constitutional. They crammed Obama Care down our throats, now they want to take even our death out of our hands.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   
In not too long this will be completely irrelevant and archaic anyway. We already have the science to not need to do this. It just hasn't finished being tested and approved and all that yet.

Is sad how many people die when cures and such are available cause of bureaucracy.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   
It seems as though (in the U.S., anyway) the when legislation tries to pass a bill or at least presentS one pertaining to doning, it gets lost in the shuffle..

Also seems like nobody cares unless a close friend/family is on deck or in the hole...

I respect both y/n. I don't care what they use (if any of my organs are usable lol) when I am gone. I. A sense, I guess we could live on forever

Thanks for posting

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
well I have heard tales of the medical industries first responders hesitating to give certain individuals life saving care because they are organ donors and organ transplants cost a lot of money... I don't know how true this is, but it's not like people do the right thing when money is at stake? or am i wrong there?

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

You can have my organs when you prise them from my cold dead body.

No, wait, that didn't come out right...

Seriously though, I'm a donor and have been since I was 18.

Once I'm dead, this bad boy of a sacred temple for my chi is all yours..I do pity the fool that gets my liver though!

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I think no

Some people have beliefs about the after life that are not compatible with organ donations. Although I have none myself, I would not want to tell people what they can and can't believe regarding their and their families body parts.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Sub!!!! Lol.... I concure, and flag thee.

Thanks for posting

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   

What if it were your loved one, in the hospital bed waiting for that gift of life? Would you still say "no"?

I would say yes, but that is "Consent", which is very different to "Assumed Consent".

Our rights have been diminished enough over the years without having the Authorities declaring themselves the right to mutilate our deceased loved ones because they forgot to tick a box that says No.

They will take your organs free of charge and then make thousands of dollars providing them to desperate families.

Consent is consent is consent. Assumed consent is morbid, ghoulish theft.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Should your body become property of the state after you die?

No.

imho

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Not just no but Hail Mary NO!!!

Like another poster pointed out, as soon as we give government the ability to decide who is or is not an organ donor, it won't be long until they decide when you will be a donor. Then they will decide who deserves that organ more than you. First it will start with the kidneys -- you don't need two after all. You can survive with just one. Then... well... it will go wherever the sociopathic minds in charge take it.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I do pity the fool that gets my liver though!

Okay, that made me laugh out loud.

Every St. Paddy's Day I put on my favourite t-shirt before heading out to our local Royal Canadian Legion for some celebratory libations:

"I'm so fekkin Irish me liver hurts"

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   

The article twists it to make it seem like government is forcing people into being donors when it is totally not the case, it's just simply an opt out system as opposed to the current opt in system. Everybody still has the choice to be a donor or not and government is not forcing anyone. The system works exactly the same except the roles are reversed in making an effort to state whether you wish to be donor or not, the article is actually pretty disgusting to be honest for trying to make the claim that government is forcing it upon people

And of course looking the response from some posters, they didn't bother to read the article and just go off the fabricated headline with a typical knee jerk reaction
edit on 16/2/16 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

It would imply that the government by default, has ownership of you and can make decisions after you die.

No.

Just no.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader

Absolutely not!

Organ donation is fantastic and I would encourage everyone to consider it, but the government already has too much influence over what individuals can do with their own bodies. We don't need to give them more power over our personal autonomy.

Laws already exist against:

abortion
drug use
death with dignity
driving without a seat belt
riding without a helmet
and so on.

We don't need LESS personal freedom, we need more! "Donation" implies CHOICE.

originally posted by: Discotech
And of course looking the response from some posters, they didn't bother to read the article and just go off the fabricated headline with a typical knee jerk reaction

I read the article and understand the premise. But I have reasons for saying what I said. The government should, in NO way, be involved in something so personal. Our bodies are NOT the government's business.

edit on 2/16/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   

I am an organ donor and No to the government.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Umm no it doesn't at all, it just means that by default your organs will be recycled instead of either burnt or left to decompose in a wooden box.

By your logic, opting in means the government has ownership of you and can make decisions after you die

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join