It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Abbas Elected Palestinian President

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 05:13 AM
link   
With results still coming in, Mahmoud Abbas has been elected the new president of the Palestinian Authority. This election landslide gives the man described as a pragmatist a mandate to peruse peace talks with Israel. Abbas, who has had the quiet support of both the U.S. and Israel, had sixty five percent of the vote in 10 out of 16 precincts counted.

story.news.yahoo.com
RAMALLAH, West Bank - Mahmoud Abbas was elected Palestinian Authority president by a landslide, partial results showed Monday, giving the pragmatist a mandate to resume peace talks with Israel — but also leaving him with the tough task of reining in powerful armed groups.

Israeli leaders welcomed Abbas' victory but said they will closely watch how hard he tries to subdue militants. Abbas could easily lose his political capital over a major bombing or shooting attack, and while most militant groups signaled they are willing to give him a chance, not all have signed on to a truce with Israel.

Still, Abbas' victory held out the promise of a new era after four decades of chaotic and corruption-riddled rule by Yasser Arafat, who died Nov. 11. Abbas, who has spoken out against violence and has the support of the international community, promises to reform the government and the unwieldy security services.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The victory of Abbas perhaps represents the best chance for peace in the region since 1948. His victory comes on the heels of a fast and furious campaign. Despite a late spat of violence, the campaign itself and the elections went as planned. Given the huge margin of victory, any voting irregularities should not cast a shadow over his election.

[edit on 10-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Fatah candidate Mahmud Abbas has won the Palestinian presidential elections with 95% of the votes counted.

According to the initial results that were released on Monday, Abbas won 66.7% of the West Bank's votes and 65% of the Gaza Strip's.

Palestinian National Initiative candidate Mustafa al-Barghuthi won 21% of the West Bank votes and 18% of the Gaza Strip's. Abbas declared himself the winner early on Monday.

The Palestine Liberation Organisation chairman immediately dedicated his victory to late leader Yasir Arafat.

Abbas

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Does anybody have any thing about Mr. Abbas in Nostrodomus , I bekeive his name is mentioned .. Just and input about there leader..

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Well, according to Nostrodamus, the third antichrist's name is Mabbas...(sometimes Mabus, etc.). Either way, it doesn't really look good does it?

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   

LONDON - World leaders on Monday welcomed the election of Mahmoud Abbas as Palestinian Authority president, saying it showed Palestinians want to reform their government and find a negotiated solution with Israel.

German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder said his country and other European nations would do everything possible to help Abbas create an "independent, viable and democratic" Palestinian state.

"I trust that the Palestinian people will follow the path you have chosen of renouncing violence and carrying out comprehensive reforms," Schroeder wrote in a telegram to Abbas, whom he invited to visit Germany.

Russian President Vladimir Putin lso sent a message to the Palestinian leader, looking forward to cooperation on achieving "a just Palestinian-Israeli settlement on the basis of the 'road map' (peace plan) and resolutions of the UN Security Council.
Abbas

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Well, according to Nostrodamus, the third antichrist's name is Mabbas...(sometimes Mabus, etc.). Either way, it doesn't really look good does it?

I wasn't aware of this. Can't say that I am a true believer in all of the Nostrodamus prophecies, as his style of writing with it's vague references can be spun in many different directions.
I am aware of the prophecies he's made that have come to fruition, and to say the least it's impressive.
It mentions Mabbas? That's wuite a coincidence. Didn't he also prophecise that the antichrist wears a blue turban? Any info on this?

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Bush to invite Abbas to US

January 11, 2005

US President George W. Bush said today he would invite Mahmoud Abbas, winner of the Palestinian presidential election, to Washington.

"I offer my congratulations to Abu Mazen. I look forward to talking to him at the appropriate time. I look forward to welcoming him here to Washington if he chooses to come here," Mr Bush told reporters at the White House.

Link

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by superdude
It mentions Mabbas? That's wuite a coincidence. Didn't he also prophecise that the antichrist wears a blue turban? Any info on this?

Not really it does seem to say this:
He is in alot of company it seems

Who is Mabus the Third Anti-Christ
* Denotes Deceased
Dr. Mahmoud Zahar , Mahmoud Abbas , Moqtada al-Sadr , The Great Imam Mahdi , Muammar al-Qaddafi , Saddam Hussein , * Ahmed Shah Massoud , Abdullah Ahmed Abdullah , Osama Bin Laden , * Yehiya Ayyash , Abu Musab al Zarqawi , Ayman Al-Zawahiri , * Abu Abbas , Hassan Nasrallah , Abdul Qadeer Khan , Muhammad Atef , Ariel Sharon , Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani , Imad Fayez Mugniyah , *Yasser Arafat , Mohammad Khatami , Bashir Assad , Azzam the American , *Sheikh Ahmed Yassin , * Abdel Aziz Rantisi , George W. Bush , Bill Clinton , John D. Negroponte , Howard Dean , Dick Cheney , Bill Gates , John Kerry , Bill Frist , Donald Rumsfeld , John Edwards , Louis Farrakhan , Matt Drudge , Ralph Nader , Alan Greenspan , Gijs de Vries , Jacques Chirac , Vladimir Putin , Rosalinda Celentano , Gerhard Schroder , Prince Charles , Prince William , Pope John Paul II , Tony Blair , Maitreya , Kim Jong Il
Mabus

An antichrist could be influential in starting a string of events that cause the world to destabilize, resulting in war, large-scale destruction and suffering.
Bad Bad Bad

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Sharon congratulates Abbas

ISRAELI Prime Minister Ariel Sharon telephoned Mahmoud Abbas today to congratulate him on his election as Palestinian president, the highest-level Israeli-Palestinian contact in years.

"Mr Abbas and Mr Sharon spoke about ways to revive the peace process and about a meeting between the two, which will be set up in the next few days," said Maher Shalabi, a spokesman for Mr Abbas.

The two men, who last met in 2003 when Mr Abbas was Palestinian prime minister, spoke for 10 minutes, officials said.

Link

Perhaps a thaw in negotiations? We can only hope.

new topics

top topics

join