It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Money doesn't corrupt people, people corrupt people.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 03:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
Money is a concept and it is concepts which cause the problem.
Did you ever hear about the experiment where monkeys were introduced to the concept of money?
The first prostitute monkey soon followed.

I disagree. While concepts can definitely be influential, it is ultimately the actions of the organism that result in corruption.

For your example: the flaw was with monkey nature, which like human nature, favours behaviour that is quicker to result in the access to pleasure than behaviour that takes longer to access pleasure.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 04:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

While concepts can definitely be influential, it is ultimately the actions of the organism that result in corruption.

Would you say the monkey was corrupt prior to the introduction of the concept of money?
Could 'corruption' be a form of intelligence?

I mean what is 'corruption'?

Is a sea otter 'corrupt' for stealing a baby from it's mother to obtain a ransom (food) in exchange for the baby?

edit on 18-2-2016 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Would you say the monkey was corrupt prior to the introduction of the concept of money?
Could 'corruption' be a form of intelligence?

I mean what is 'corruption'?

Is a sea otter 'corrupt' for stealing a baby from it's mother to obtain a ransom (food) in exchange for the baby?

What you are essentially arguing is that if you and I have a discussion about serial killers, exchanging ideas about why and how they got caught, then after we are finished talking I end up becoming a serial killer, you are stating I would never have become a serial killer unless we had that conversion.

I strongly disagree with such logic. Entertaining/discussing a concept does not mean condoning or accepting it.

Corruption could very well be a form of intelligence, but I am not in a position of influence to determine that.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 04:26 AM
link   
It is the things that don't exist which corrupt. Words and symbols imply things that aren't.
It is the concept which corrupts the whole.
Ideas bought into.

edit on 18-2-2016 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 04:30 AM
link   

It is the things that don't exist which corrupt. Words and symbols imply things that aren't.
It is the concept which corrupts the whole.
Ideas bought into.

How do you determine whether something exists or not?

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost
Ha, ha!
To be or not to be? That is the question.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost
What was/is the first concept?
The answer is 'I am'.

You know you are but what are you?

The knowing that I am is not a concept but the knowing that I am gets conceptualized - it is the first mistake that makes for the corruption - the exist from heaven seemingly.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Here people are corrupted by offering them for example a better job, or more power. And money is just one of the methods to make that possible.

In case of prosecution by law money does wonders, in my country you buy a truck and drive over 10 people (killing them) you just pay the judge and family and you are free. For killing for example 10 people with driving over them with a truck you can get most 4 years in prison. In practice less since when you behave well you get 1 third less prison time. I would say this way 2 and a half year if you would kill 10 people by driving over them with a truck and 0 years if you shuffle money to the judge.

This is not a story, it really happened. One family member in court attacked the judge when the surviving family member heard the judge speaking there is nothing to blame on the driver that killed that family member his children, wife, parents.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: InMyShell
Money doesn't corrupt people, people corrupt people.

Corrupt vain people are already corrupt, and their lives manifest it, whether giving change for an ice cream, or a Donald Trump!
And the saying is that 'Power corrupts', not necessarily money.
"The Love of money is the root of all evil!" is the metaphoric saying.

'Honest' people cannot be 'corrupted'!
'Honesty' is an UNCONDITIONAL Virtue of unconditional Love/Enlightenment!

True, unconditional Love is ALWAYS recognized by It's unconditional Virtues; Compassion, Empathy, Sympathy, Gratitude, Humility, Charity (charity is never taking more than your share of anything, ever!), Honesty, Happiness, Faith...
ALWAYS!

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Well...in answer to the title of the thread. Imo...the most accurate statement would be people allow themselves to remain corrupted.

As I see it...money cannot corrupt people because ( as was pointed out ) it is an object. Also people cannot corrupt people...they can only help create circumstances that will possibly cause us to reveal any corruption that already exists in us.

Now...in answer to the essence of the opening post. I feel completely confident that a moneyless system could be created that would afford everyone in it ...a life better than or equal to the best lives being lived in the current currency based system.

This system would afford and infact ensure everyone in it the 4 fundamental pleasures in life...(at least that's what I term them ) . These are 1. A comfortable and secure dwelling 2. A well set table ( gourmet quality meals of a healthy composition ) 3 . Productive and enjoyable employment of a moderate amount and of a changing nature. 4. Ample leisure time and free transportation.

A system that would afford all of its inhabitants these 4 fundamental pleasures without the use of currency...can easily be created...imho.

In addition...just living and functioning in the system that I envision would be ..."fun". Almost like living in a theme park ...the purpose of which is to provide for one anothers needs. And all of it while remaining in harmonybwith nature
edit on 27-2-2016 by HarryJoy because: eta

<< 1  2   >>

join