It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump Floats Idea of a Third-Party Run Again (ABC News)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Gryphon66

Beg to differ all you want.

We have had a third party for decades. Called 'independent'.

And every election cycle boils down to either Red or BLue.

And the electoral process wouldn't work because no one could get the needed electoral votes.

Because they would be split nine different ways from sunday.

Absolutely, this... No way, unfortunately, that an Independent would get the electoral votes they need. They might get the popular, IF people aren't afraid to leave the boundary of their party lines, but the electoral system will never fly that way. Not unless we somehow found the right people to elect to Congress, and unfortunately, most are already in bed with the establishment.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Having a bunch of independents would be just as bad as the mess of euro / israel elections. Uncountable parties.... indecipherable platforms......anarchy in endless, shifting coalitions. You may have to hold the damned elections again in a couple months.

No thanks.

The US system has definitely been screwed by lobbyists, career politicians, unaccountable money, etc.

But I'll still take it over the mayhem of these other places.

The things that are wrong, can be fixed with legislation. These other places have been liberalized beyond fixing.

At least America still goes back and forth between conservative ideals and liberal ideals.

Now that it's time to swing back toward conservatism and common sense, of course the liberals are crying that everything must be scrapped.

Happens every time they know they're gonna pay for their failures.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Beg to differ all you want.

Why thanks Neo! Very kind.

We have had a third party for decades. Called 'independent'.

Nope. The very definition of registering to vote as an Independent is a declaration that one is not affiliated with a political party.

And every election cycle boils down to either Red or BLue.

Yes, that's the exact problem I've been pointing to here. If Trump and Sanders and Bloomburg all mount sucessful "Independent" runs (i.e. not affiliated with a registered Party) that will be a game changer (I hope and believe.)

And the electoral process wouldn't work because no one could get the needed electoral votes.

Because they would be split nine different ways from sunday.

Exactly, which might be enough to inspire the American people to a) vote in every election and b) see clearly that the Republicans (as they would undoubtedly pick the Republican ticket) and any other party are NOT WORKING in our best interests.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: Snarl

Hell I wouldn't care if he was a turd sack maggot on a gut wagon that never voted Conservative in his entire life. If he does half of what he says he's going to do, he's got my vote.

How do you think an Independent Trump run will affect the Presidential Race?

And do you see it changing the Republican party at all?

I'm afraid that there will be some people that are too afraid to step away from their party line just yet, therefore giving the presidency to the Democratic candidate. I'm not afraid to step away, but I don't know how many other people have the balls to step away from party lines.

I sincerely hope that the Republican elites will see what the people want, and get over themselves and the person they want. Will this "revolution" change that? I just don't know brother.

Do you really think it's fear though? We see folks in this very thread espousing the normal carps and "platitudes" that say Americans have to stay within the "two party system" that is, by the way, utterly and completely outside of the Constitution. If not, we're wasting our votes, the House of Representatives will have to decide ... CHAOS! CRY HAVOC!

LOL.

President Washington (the only President elected to date that was "Independent") warned the nation about the dangers of political parties in his Farewell Address (if you haven't read it, you should. We've had the same issues since the beginning.)

Not a single thing in the Constitution about political parties, and yet, that's never brought up here as an exception ... although some apparently carry the Constitution in their front pocket ... they complain about the parties, but always end up supporting ONE of them ... that's very strange for strict Constructionists, isn't it?

... wonder why?

edit on 16-2-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
The parties have absolutely nothing to do with the constitution. They're just social phenomena that frame the contest of elections.

It just so happens that traditionally the conservative GOP deigned to adhere to the constitution, and traditionally the liberal dems have wanted to re-write / re-create the constitution.

Today's GOP has no quantifiable difference from the dems. Pre-1970 dems were more like today's conservatives.

That's how things evolve.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: stevieray
They're just social phenomena that frame the contest of elections.

Actuallly, references to political parties are actually encoded into the legal structure of most States: Example from Georgia: O.C.G.A. § 21-2-191

As provided in this article, a presidential preference primary shall be held in 2012 and every four years thereafter for each political party or body which has cast for its candidates for President and Vice President in the last presidential election more than 20 percent of the total vote cast for President and Vice President in this state, so that the electors may express their preference for one person to be the candidate for nomination by such person's party or body for the office of President of the United States;

-edited for brevity

originally posted by: stevieray

It just so happens that traditionally the conservative GOP deigned to adhere to the constitution, and traditionally the liberal dems have wanted to re-write / re-create the constitution.

Can you give an example of "liberal dems re-writing/recreating the Constitution"?

edit on 16-2-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Fixed quote

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:44 AM
link   
And then we will join the TRUMP party. I know you Bern-outs think you are a majority, but quite simply, untrue. You may be the majority here on ATS. But then again half of this place isn't even American.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: PsychoEmperor

...but Trump knows exactly what he is doing.

Rubio? Is that you?

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
April 1, 2016

Today, Donald Trump says that if he has the most delegates and the GOP kingmakers don't award him the nomination, he'll run as an independent. It's "April Fool's" day, but I think he's serious. I certainly hope so.

I'd enjoy giving the GOP the middle finger by voting for Independent candidate Trump. Him running in this manner would guarantee Hillary or Bernie the Presidency on 1.1.2017, but the GOP have to be shown that Republican voters are not their personal flock of sheep that can be steered at will. No frickin way!

-cwm

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join