It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black hole simulation supports aspects of popular science fiction

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   
First-ever simulation supports aspects of popular science fiction scenarios

"It has often been assumed that objects approaching a black hole are crushed by the increasing gravity," Burko said. "However, we found that while gravitational forces increase and become infinite, they do so fast enough that their interaction allows physical objects to stay intact as they move toward the center of the black hole. Therefore, the simulation is consistent with aspects of popular science fiction scenarios in which black holes are used as portals for hyperspace travel, which require space ships, and the astronauts within them, to stay intact."

This is exciting, as much as it is mystifying!

I guess the question now is, Where does one go that is unfortunate enough to be pulled into (through) one?!

Source
www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I always wondered what might be so special about rotating black holes.

I mean, the gravitational forces should be equal to a static black hole, but how would the effects change while riding through the grav-tides of a monster like this?

Anyway, would this feel like a very hard *shock* to the whole spaceship? Or would it become (talking SRT now) a frozen *shooooooooooooooooo.. for eternity?

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Triton1128

I imagine if any spaceship were to venture into a black hole and somehow survive the journey it would be spit out the other side of a white hole at some other location, possibly even in another universe.
edit on 15-2-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I'm a fan of the white hole theory.. But have we found anything in our own universe that could be portrayed as one?

You would think with the amount of black holes we have in our universe, if each ended with a white hole on the other end, in another universe. We would see as many white holes here as black holes?

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Suppose the universe is a big place. Possibly these as of yet undetected white holes may be connected to or in a region of dark matter/energy we as of yet cannot detect or observe.
edit on 15-2-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Triton1128

I guess the question now is, Where does one go that is unfortunate enough to be pulled into (through) one?!

Hell, of course. Did you not see "The Black Hole"?

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
What folks don't know is that many science fiction authors are also physicists and use that knowledge in their writings.
Hal Clemens
David Brin
Robert L. Forward [ Check out the Rocheworld/ Return to Rocheworld/ Flight of The Dragonfly series ]
Alastair Reynolds...etc

I think that as we explore and discover, those "outlandish" ideas are not going to seem so outlandish anymore.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
The reason these are depicted as disks like solar systems or galaxies is because matter is drawn to its plane of ecliptic before being drawn in.

The closer the matter gets the more energetic it becomes, matter is split into atoms, atoms split into subatomic partacles and finally… poof. There is no 'entering' a 'black hole any more than one can 'enter' a sun.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Maybe the creation of the universe and the purpose of black holes were designed for that main reason? Traveling between dimensions or to other parts of the universe? The Universe subway system! Just a crazy thought.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

No but Ill be looking into it now!

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Wow! That is completely unexpected.

What an incredible discovery! Thanks for the link.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
While exciting news what blows me about this is that even if we could get some brave souls to volunteer for a black hole expedition I seriously doubt they would be able to send any transmissions relaying their findings.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Maybe you come out in the middle of a star. Black holes might have "white hole" counterparts. Instead of light being sucked in like with a black hole, light is emitted from a "white hole". Sounds like a star to me. Pure speculation on my part though.

That wouldn't go too well with wannabe space travelers I don't think.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Only hole throwing out materia as far as I know, is a brown one.

That said, the interstellar scenario seems more and more plausible. One enters space and time free zone.

Quest is - how to get out of the black hole?

While helping the mankind escape dead end, is a great feat, but surviving that billion billion years, without any chance what so ever to get out of there, is not a fantastic trade-off. Interstellar was a bit fuzzy about exit signs...

Btw - shouldn't black holes eat also dark matter?

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I've played with enough particle physics games to know, if you have a black hole, you have a white hole too then...

I mean, the matter can't just go nowhere, it's like that movie " Envy " ( The poop has to go somewhere, it can't just disappear )

Black holes could be like the struts that hold alternate realities together maybe, or at the very least alternate universes, leading to the bubble multiverse theory.

Or even the membrane universes with many layers, and blackholes act as the drainage of matter to be reused by the next universe and so on and so on.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

"It has often been assumed that objects approaching a black hole are crushed by the increasing gravity,"

The trouble is the more likely scenario is that the object would cease to exist before it even reaches the event horizon. Objects approaching the event horizon would not be crushed by increasing gravity, they would be broken into smaller and smaller fragments due to tidal effects. The common term is spaghettification. Like what happened to Comet Shoemaker–Levy 9, but more so.

I guess they skipped that part in the model.

edit on 2/15/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Don't. Awful. Really, really awful.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Don't. Awful. Really, really awful.

you might loose an ...eye

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

originally posted by: intergalactic fire you might loose an ...eye

That's what they said about my Red Ryder BB Gun...
edit on 15-2-2016 by Tranceopticalinclined because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
here's the thing: the stars which collapse into black holes are spinning. as the diameter shrinks the spin velocity increases. there is no reason to presume that this pre-black hole spin decreases or is eliminated once the black hole threshold is reached or afterwards. therefore all stellar black holes should spin. period.

The question really is which cosmological model of the topology of black holes is true or alternately; is more than one type of topology possible?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join