It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genesis 32:22-32 Jacob beats up God!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
a reply to: Rasalghul

You pretext the scripture with your opinion.

A negative response from you, how shocking. This time I pretexted scripture with my own opinion.

What scripture?

What was my pretext?

What was my opinion?
edit on 16-2-2016 by Rasalghul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

pretext means you came to the scripture with a preconcieved idea or opinion in this case "extortion".

Nowhere does it say in Scripture that Jacob extorted the Angle of the Lord who was in th eform of a man. So there is no scriptural support for said opinion of Extortion.

Your opinion is your statement that Jacon Extorted God.

Wrestling was a common sport in that area of the world at that time. If one of the combatants cries uncle then the victor has the right to ask the loser for a blessing as a token of his victory. He got two things a dislodged hip (hardly a victors token) and he got a new name, Israel.

There is no Extortion it was customary part of tradition.
edit on 16-2-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rasalghul
a reply to: wisvol
I can't speak Hebrew, and Bere#h, or whatever Genesis is in Hebrew, would just cause confusion. Your little rant was cute though.

Thanks. Today's television Hebrew isn't the language of the bible, although it shares similarities lost to English.

What Genesis is in Hebrew would just cause confusion. Would it only cause confusion?

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   

pretext means you came to the scripture with a preconcieved idea or opinion in this case "extortion".

Nowhere does it say in Scripture that Jacob extorted the Angle of the Lord who was in th eform of a man. So there is no scriptural support for said opinion of Extortion.

Wrestling was a common sport in that area of the world at that time. If one of the combatants cries uncle then the victor has the right to ask the loser for a blessing as a token of his victory. He got two things a dislodged hip (hardly a victors token) and he got a new name, Israel.

look up what extortion means. I borrowed that term from my bibles footnotes. Its extortion because he said bless me or I will not let you go. That's not opinion, it's what happened.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn
Once again you are taking out of yer ars. I expect that from you,, as if the bible were the desert and your knowledge of a grain of sand, smashed to pieces.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Really, wrestling with God was common? Really? I don't think so.

You study wrestling from pre 1000 BC in your spare time between pretending to be a christian?
edit on 16-2-2016 by Rasalghul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Historically Wrestling between men was common in that area. I apologize that I didn't communicate that well for you to understand.

Study of the sport of wrestling as well as other things of cultural history of ancient civilizations was part the course for my Graduate studies.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Historically Wrestling between men was common in that area. I apologize that I didn't communicate that well for you to understand.

Study of the sport of wrestling as well as other things of cultural history of ancient civilizations was part the course for my Graduate studies.

You communicated it just fine, it's a load of crap that's all. I don't think your knowledge of ancient wrestling applies to God.

You as usual try negging my threads, I've gotten used to it but the topic is Jacob wrestles with God and wins, extorting a blessing from El and it's not about you trying to slander me with accusations of pretexting with opinion which is a lie.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Look you the one who started this thread with your opinion you have yet, as in all of your post, shown no scriptural basis for the claim.

You go to a Bible verse and change the meanings of the words to fit your narrative that is pretexted the scriptures.

So when you can show by scripture that Jacob EXTORTED the men he was wrestling, you are wrong the word of God is correct. Sorry the preserved words of God preserved from the Hebrew to the English are defined by their context not by what some man saying it means this or that.
No one was winning it was a draw, and one calls to be released. Unless the victor gets his token blessing he is not a clear winner. The rules require that he not let the other go until he gets the blessing and he did. Everyone at the time this story was told knew what it meant and knew what wrestling was clearly he asked for the blessing before he would let him go as proof of his victory. it is 21st century men who don't believe the word of God.

Gen 32:24 ¶ And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
25 And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him.
26 And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.

edit on 17-2-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Look you the one who started this thread with your opinion you have yet, as in all of your post, shown no scriptural basis for the claim.

So when you can show by scripture that Jacob EXTORTED the men he was wrestling, you are wrong the word of God is
Gen 32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.

26 And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.

You did it for me

"Bless me or I wont let you go"

"Pay me, or I'll break your legs"

Both fit the definition of extortion. I guess you need a dictionary.

Wasn't my opinion, it's what happened.

Nice lie. Nice try.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Yeah it fits just like bank robbery means the same a bank withdrawal.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Yeah it fits just like bank robbery means the same a bank withdrawal.

Ahh another dumb remark. You don't know what extortion means, do you?

Extort means to take by threat and its just below robbery.

Jacob threatened not to release God UNLESS he blessed him.

Funny, you're the only one complaining. You need a life.
edit on 17-2-2016 by Rasalghul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Sorry there is no threat. He only said,

"I will not let thee go, except thou bless me"

A threat would be, "If you don't bless me I will kill you."

You see things where there are none.

the Bible says this

Ho 12:4 Yea, he had power over the angel, and prevailed
But it never says he extorted God.

So show you scriptural proof it was extortion or the link where you got it.

edit on 18-2-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Lmfao!! How does God lose to a mere human? That's definitely the most hilarious part of the bible.

I've never heard of a person forcing God to bless them. Jacob must be pretty tough.

I think I could take Jehovah too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join