It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VIDEO: Elderly Woman Tasered, Her Arm Broken, for Not Removing Her Earrings Fast Enough

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   
taser is for defence only, not to force compliance. stupid cops still don't get that. enjoy the lawsuit money lady and have a happy retirement.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111
All 7 officers must have somehow been mistaken about proper prerequisite for tazing?

Only the officer deploying the taser was found to be in violation of the taser policy.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Bedlam, this is precisely what I mean. This is not arcane knowledge, possessed only by the most fearsome special forces members, or a trick taught only by Shaolin Monks, living on the foothills of the tallest peaks in the world.

This should be basic, entry level correctional officer knowledge, and something in which any law enforcement professional has a decent level of proficiency.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Perhaps as part of their training we should send cops to spend a few months working in a psychiatric hospital to learn how to safely restrain and it also may make them a little more humane or understanding to people who might go a little crazy at times ?

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Urantia1111
All 7 officers must have somehow been mistaken about proper prerequisite for tazing?

Only the officer deploying the taser was found to be in violation of the taser policy.

Well obviously, but aren't the other 6 being charged with dereliction of duty since they all witnessed this highly illegal act and did nothing to apprehend the suspect?

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

No one has been charged with anything, this is a civil suit.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

a reply to: Urantia1111

No one has been charged with anything, this is a civil suit.

So nothing criminal was done here. I'm glad all agree to at least that. Just a simple policy violation.

I'm still betting that she collects no money.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

I'm confused I thought police brutality or over reaction only happens against black people?

Seriously, we have a disconnect between society and those that are suppose to protect them.

The reason the issue is not being fixed is because they are making it into a racism thing. The issue is not as simple as racism the system is broken in many layers and enough blame to go around for both the cops and the general population.
edit on 32229America/ChicagoMon, 15 Feb 2016 12:32:13 -0600000000p2942 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
her and her lawyer will win big.....she'll be two years recovering and won't have full motion.....the city paying big bucks for a loose cannon....typical for these days, huh!!!!

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Considering we had people cheering the woman who shot at shoplifters in a parking lot and claiming that people should be shot if they commit crimes, I'd see this lady got away lightly. A fractured wrist.... small price to pay.
She really was lucky, there were more than enough officers there and you could see them as they crowded round her, just bullies - a lot of people don't live to tell the tale these days.

Oh well.

We'll see what comes of this.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: blupblup
We'll see what comes of this.

I am leaning towards some out of court settlement since the officer who discharged the Taser was found to have acted excessively.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Who do you think is going to foot the bill for this 1.75million law suit ?

It's funny watching the video, I counted in total 8 officers at one point, 8 of them and their only logical response was to tase a little old lady ?

well yeah!....she was a threat, what else could it be?.....(obvious sarcasm)

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

Monies from lawsuits like this should come from their pension funds, then they might start policing themselves.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Certainly better than us, as taxpayers, footing the bill for this type of behavior.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Not that tazing her is the best option but how should you remove her personal effects when she is not being compliant during the booking process? It would have looked equally as bad if they restrained her and then removed the earrings themselves. Lose, lose scenario on this.

Usually I can agree with much you say AM but, in this case didn't seem to be any other option offered. She was giving the verbals and got tasered, that's not on. As I see it, this was earrings versus taser, and that's just stupid.
What you see here is a 'policeman' doling out summary punishment off his own bat, not an act of defense, then he compounds things by saying she broke her own arm in the falling, when there is every possibiilty of just such a thing happening in that scenario.
As for those other feckups standing round, they are cowards, either afraid of him or union rules, or self-imposed disengagement. Yuck!

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy
Usually I can agree with much you say AM but, in this case didn't seem to be any other option offered.

Which was determined in the Internal Affairs investigation.

The point I was making is that any type of physical inducement they possibly could have used would have looked bad regardless, owing to the fact that she was an older woman.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
They wouldn't have had to use the taser if they would've just shot her a bunch of times first.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Usually I can agree with much you say AM but, in this case didn't seem to be any other option offered.

Which was determined in the Internal Affairs investigation.

The point I was making is that any type of physical inducement they possibly could have used would have looked bad regardless, owing to the fact that she was an older woman.

I get what you are saying, but to go further..why the need of any physicals at that moment, was it teatime?
There's a great saying here called, 'let the hare sit' that's what was needed. Just let her rant away until her teeth fell out, she wasn't hurting anyone.
American police have no patience, it's either comply..or I'll beat the crap out of you right now.
like here..and this lady was really old and smashed into the concrete by a 'policewoman' and yes she was also injured though you may not see that here,

Had that been my grandma?? and I don't believe I have hit anyone in my life.

edit on 15-2-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I get what you are saying, but to go further..why the need of any physicals at that moment, was it teatime?
There's a great saying here called, 'let the hare sit' that's what was needed. Just let her rant away until her teeth fell out, she wasn't hurting anyone.

I am not going to speculate on why the urgency but I personally would have adhered to the guidelines and removed all personal effects.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   

I am not going to speculate on why the urgency but I personally would have adhered to the guidelines and removed all personal effects.

Why, what's the rush with health and safety when the next action is to fecking eletrocute someone, and possibly kill them. She was complying earlier, and she's not going to stab herself to death with her earrings, let her sit there and chew on it, and if I'm not mistaken there's hardly anybody in the place, except for taserman and a tribe of chest beaters watching with baited breath. And tell me this, exactly what are the guidelines out of the station, as near as none is my guess.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join