It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sports Illustrated has 3 swimsuit cover models this year (at least one PLUS size)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian

originally posted by: Konduit
I think it was pretty much inevitable, besides I've never really had a thing for plastic artificial women.

You do know that "plastic and artificial" is usually done to make curves, not take them away.

Looks can be deceiving. Ever held a silicon breast? I'm no stranger to strip joints, held a few fake ones in my day and I'll tell you it feels more like a volleyball compared to the real thing.

Perhaps I should rephrase and just say I'm not into "high maintenance" girls.
edit on 15-2-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: ghostrager

The worst part of this as far as I'm concerned is that the "plus size" movement is making it appear to children that its o.k. to eat yourself into morbid obesity. That's not a "winning" message to the kids these days.

Is that opposed to the message that rail thin models give that we should starve ourselves for beauty? An image that has pretty much been the standard of beauty for the last half century or so?

Plus that lady isn't fat. She's what I'd call normal, healthy, and definitely good looking. So I'd say the message that they are trying to convey is that looking like you eat an appropriate amount of food makes you beautiful too.
edit on 15-2-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Plus that lady isn't fat.
I assume you do not know her body fat ratio?

She's what I'd call normal,
I guess that depends on where you live.

healthy,
There is no way to establish health issues from the picture of that woman. Heart disease and diabetes are not visible conditions.

and definitely good looking.
In your opinion.

So I'd say the message that they are trying to convey is that looking like you each an appropriate amount of food makes you beautiful too.
Good marketing in these days of the percentage of fat people increasing, money to be made from that demographic for sure.
edit on 15.2.2016 by grainofsand because: typo

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I assume you are being facetious here so I won't answer your trollish questions. Just like I assume you are the bastion of perfect health since you seem intent on classifying anyone who isn't rail thin as "fat".
edit on 15-2-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

I assume you are being facetious here so I won't answer your trollish questions.
Trollish? How so? My question is valid. If you do not know the body fat ratio of the woman then you cannot draw the conclusion that she is not fat.

Just like I assume you are the bastion of perfect health since you seem intent on classifying anyone who isn't railroad thin as "fat".
That is your invention alone, you invent words or positions that I have not stated. Bit dishonest don't ya think?
In my opinion the woman looks fat, she's fatter than me for sure and I wouldn't notice her in a club, my eyes would scan past like she was a bouncer.
Oh and I'm healthy and fit yes, but that is not lucky me genetics, or a medical miracle, I burn the calories I consume. It works for everyone as well...ever see fat people in sustained famine conditions, no me neither.
edit on 15.2.2016 by grainofsand because: typo

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
Trollish? How so? My question is valid. If you do not know the body fat ratio of the woman then you cannot draw the conclusion that she is not fat.

BMI Not a Good Measure of Healthy Body Weight, Researchers Argue

That is your invention alone, you invent words or positions that I have not stated. Bit dishonest don't ya think?
In my opinion the woman looks fat, she's fatter than me for sure and I wouldn't notice her in a club, my eyes would scan past like she was a bouncer.
Oh and I'm healthy and fit yes, but that is not lucky me genetics, or a medical miricle, I burn the calories I consume. It works for everyone as well...ever see fat people in sustained famine conditions, no me neither.

Obesity Rates Soar in China, India and Other Nations

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: Squirlli

And yet.....doesn't this send a message to kids that being disproportionately overweight is "O.K."? I get the fact that body types are body types and everyone is different..........but somewhere, somehow, the kids need to get the message that its not o.k. to be morbidly over weight!

Jesus, she isn't over weight. What part of that do you people not get??
Body types are different, not every woman can get to size 0 just by per genetics.
a reply to: Brotherman

BS! That is your own created argument out of thin air.
What you showed is not the same thing as what SI put on their cover. If those ladies think they look like that then that is their own delusions of grandeur and not the fault of anyone else.

Gosh why can't you all just look a pretty chick and get the hell over it!
Sorry it isn't PC in your eyes to put what YOU don't deem correct on the cover.
Again, HIGHLY ironic.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

BMI Not a Good Measure of Healthy Body Weight, Researchers Argue
Oh dear, I said body fat ratio, that is a different measure, here's a wiki to help you understand what I actually posted about. More invention again, tut tut. en.wikipedia.org...

Obesity Rates Soar in China, India and Other Nations
Oh dear again, there are no fat people in any sustained famine conditions anywhere in the world. People in developing countries like China and India are getting fat because they are eating more crappy processed food than they used to, or more food generally because they are not as dirt poor as they used to be.

What exactly are you trying to argue here? That fat people don't take in more calories than they burn or something?

edit on 15.2.2016 by grainofsand because: typo ration/ratio

edit on 15.2.2016 by grainofsand because: Add link lol

edit on 15.2.2016 by grainofsand because: consume to burn, clarity

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I'm trying to argue that you are trying to call someone fat who clearly isn't. I see you are clearly vane and are trying to back up your opinion with science, but those notions are going out of date.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

I'm trying to argue that you are trying to call someone fat who clearly isn't.
In your opinion, based on your own personal perspective. In my opinion and personal perspective she is fat. I am simply reminding you that our opinions are subjective but body fat ratio can be measured. I'm surprised you didn't know that when threw the lame BMI link at me lol.

I see you are clearly vane and are trying to back up your opinion with science, but those notions are going out of date.
It is vain every time we brush our hair or choose the outfit, get over it, or give me a decent logical argument against anything I've posted in this thread.
Oh, and please directly quote me instead of inventing added value to my words, thanks.
edit on 15.2.2016 by grainofsand because: typo, or/our

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

BS! That is your own created argument out of thin air. What you showed is not the same thing as what SI put on their cover. If those ladies think they look like that then that is their own delusions of grandeur and not the fault of anyone else. Gosh why can't you all just look a pretty chick and get the hell over it! Sorry it isn't PC in your eyes to put what YOU don't deem correct on the cover. Again, HIGHLY ironic.

Right, because the magazine companies dont have a targeted audience to sell # too. I guess those size two ladies will be looking for size 16 sports fashions and I am just making this all up. I get it, you believe the magazine business is all about honestly informing people of things like fashion and trends and in no way shape or form have they ever, I mean ever thought about manipulating a target audience for profit by manipulating their world views.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

That's an interesting point about "rail thin"; that's a bad message as well! But isn't that one of your logic traps? Just because one bad message is wrong doesn't make another bad message right!

And no......she's not "healthy"; she's overweight. Her BMI obviously way outa whack! Put another way, her diet is obviously anything but carbon neutral! Put her on a carbonless Vegan diet for a year and see how much better she would look! And that's a GOOD message to send the kids........"don't consume more than your fair share and do so on a carbon neutral basis". That's teaching the kids to think about their global responsibilities!

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

And going after your targeted audience is nothing more than a business move.
Nothing about agenda's or PC there.

I never said that they are not doing this to increase sales or to appease a target consumer.
The pictures you posted would not be their target consumer, and it is not them trying to appease those people. That was the argument I was talking about.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

How can you possibly know if she is over weight?
Do you know her measurements, and not just bust and waist, the neck is very important when figuring that out.

Thick women that have good diets exist.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

And going after your targeted audience is nothing more than a business move.
Nothing about agenda's or PC there.

I never said that they are not doing this to increase sales or to appease a target consumer.
The pictures you posted would not be their target consumer, and it is not them trying to appease those people. That was the argument I was talking about.

It in my opinion is their targeted audience, I suppose them girls dont shop at victorias secret either? I wonder who plants the idea in their head that they may be ugly but if you wear this or that it will make you beautiful.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I wonder who plants the idea in their head that they may be ugly but if you wear this or that it will make you beautiful.

Well they shopped there before this but the ironic thing is you posted them shopping at wal mart.
In my opinion there target audience is women that look like Grahm and the pictures you pasted don't. If you fail to see that IDK what to tell you.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80
They never put ugly girls on the cover of any magazine for a reason. Dont you understand that? They do have research that even writes editorials on how to "shop thrifty" and look like a "diva" too, go figure right.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Okay so she is fat due to you own personal perspective? To others is normal.

She is also very tall. Then by many peoples definition she is large no matter her weight.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 04:05 AM
link   

I didn't say once that me being plus size is because I have big bones. I know our bones are the same skinny or fat. I said genetics, which covers more than just bones, it too determines muscle, fat, skin, hair, nails, and facial features.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

its not ok to be over weight. its not ok to be unhealthy. we need to stop pushing this whole, not being skinny is unhealthy. Being fat is unhealty, being too thin is unhealthy, we as a society need to find the middle ground and encourage that, not one extreme or the other.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join