It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sports Illustrated has 3 swimsuit cover models this year (at least one PLUS size)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I think it was pretty much inevitable, besides I've never really had a thing for plastic artificial women.

edit on 15-2-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

I absolutely agree!!!! It's about time they use real women.

Yea time to use women. Also athletic chicks aren't real women.

lol
edit on 10908v2016Monday by wisvol because: laughing because this is purposely the inverse of what I think. Athletic chicks are great.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I believe the African-American's refer to this body type as being "thick". In other words, nice @$$ for a white girl.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Man you all are so hell bent on being 'anti-pc' that you are seemingly refusing to believe that since someone is being labeled 'plus size' that she can't be beautiful or worthy of gracing a SI swim suit issue. I bet I would have a hard time finding a straight male that doesn't think she is attractive, but yall are just going on and on about how this is just a PC move. I sure as heck wouldn't turn down a date night with her.
Really ironic if you ask me.
a reply to: ShadowLink
Ya there isn't one on this cover but both Beyonce and Tyra Banks have graced the cover. My comment was just about them having black models tho.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 01:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
I think it was pretty much inevitable, besides I've never really had a thing for plastic artificial women.

You do know that "plastic and artificial" is usually done to make curves, not take them away.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: okrian

Well maybe for boobs and butts, but not really giving them a 'plus size' figure.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   
yeah.
but if I, as a man want to see elephants and hippos ill check on animal planet.
not SI.

got damn feminazis...

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: ghostrager
a reply to: ReadLeader

Barbie goes plus size, sports illustrated featuring a fat woman....oops sorry - I mean "plus size", wouldn't want to be politically incorrect.

Why don't they get really realistic and get models with stretch marks and double chins?

Sorry, but this new trend of catering to people that overindulge themselves with food is disturbing. Sure, some people have lower metabolism, but most just eat too much.

The movie Walle was prophetic:

Not every person who is plus size is fat.

Having children does many things to the female body, and genetics play a large role in it. Some people are genetically more likely to have stretchmarks (both men and women), just like some people (myself included) are more likely to be short because of genetics. I am 4 ft 10 inches tall, my best friend is 5 ft 5 inches tall, we both weigh within 5 lbs of each other and she looks much much thinner than I do, but we weigh the same.
Saying that plus size people are all fat is ignorant and cruel.

If I had smaller hips I would look thinner. If it had smaller breasts I would also look thinner (and weigh a little less). If I were taller I would also look thinner, and sure if I hadn't had kids, I would still most likely have the same shape that I had when I was 18.

I can squat and pick up a full grown scared great dane and put him on an exam table that is at chest height with minimal effort. ( my "fat" coworker can't do that )
I'm still a size 14 which is a plus size.
There are many many plus size people who are healthier than "skinny" people.

Not all plus size people are fat, just like not all short people are dwarfs, not all tall people are giants, and not all handicapped people are retarded.

Yes "some" eat too much, some don't eat enough. Its not catering to the "fat crowd" its showing that people can be different and the highly unhealthy image that skinny and bony is sexy, is in fact just wrong.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ghostrager

The worst part of this as far as I'm concerned is that the "plus size" movement is making it appear to children that its o.k. to eat yourself into morbid obesity. That's not a "winning" message to the kids these days.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Squirlli

And yet.....doesn't this send a message to kids that being disproportionately overweight is "O.K."? I get the fact that body types are body types and everyone is different..........but somewhere, somehow, the kids need to get the message that its not o.k. to be morbidly over weight!

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: pirhanna
This is great because i think its unfair that im not a calvin klein model and dont play basketball in the nba. I would like those jobs now thanks. I think its awesome how it doesnt matter what we are anynore because everyone is the same and equally beautiful and equally talented becauae results dont matter. 2+2 = 5 if you want it to. Because 5 is just as good as 4. We shouldnt discriminate.

You're not attractive/interesting-looking/determined enough to be a Calvin Klein model, and you're not good enough at basketball to be an NBA player - simple as that. Do you really think SI just let anyone who wanted to be a cover model? I haven't seen the pictures yet, but my guess is she's one of the most attractive "Plus-Sized Model" on the planet.

You seem to be living in a paranoid, dark-fantasy world where politically correctness and affirmative action have run amok. I hate to break it to you, but the scary world you imagine exists doesn't. You sound like the people who think there's no longer winners and losers in little league sports and everyone gets the same participation trophy. I can tell you for a fact, none of the little league sports anywhere around me have such a thing. It's made-up fear-mongering from lunatic radio hosts who prey on weak-minded fools.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: yeahsurexxx
yeah.
but if I, as a man want to see elephants and hippos ill check on animal planet.
not SI.

got damn feminazis...

Nobody said you have to check out the SI swimsuit issue to get your jollies, and as some of the replies to this thread can attest, there are plenty of men who find women like the cover model in question to be quite attractive. Don't be upset because SI doesn't only cater to your specific female-ogling needs.

There are a variety of preferences in the world, not just yours and yours alone. I know guys who find muffin-tops spilling out of ill-fitting jeans to be more attractive than a fit body with properly-fitting clothing. It's certainly not for me, but, having been on Earth for a few (ok, 4) decades now, I'm aware that different people are attracted to different things. It's shocking that there are people who can read and write, and who even have internet access who believe the entire world should conform to their puny and insignficant world-view.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

For anyone who hasn't taken a gander, here's what the "PC-Agenda" fear mongers are terrified of...

It's the best demonstration I could give on the topic, while not opting for a full-clothed version. If the picture is inappropriate / against T&C, of course, please delete, with my apologies.
edit on 2/15/2016 by dogstar23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
In the meantime...

I'm still patiently waiting for a "Men In Kilts" magazine to hit the racks.

Meow.

I would pose for you. You cool with some up-kilt shots?

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Nope, you can convince yourself as much as you like but your skeleton will look the same as everyone else's when you remove the skin, muscles, and fat.
It is fat that makes your hip look big, not some oversized mutant bones underneath, but hey, keep deluding yourself.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

For anyone who hasn't taken a gander, here's what the "PC-Agenda" fear mongers are terrified of...

It's the best demonstration I could give on the topic, while not opting for a full-clothed version. If the picture is inappropriate / against T&C, of course, please delete, with my apologies.

Thats the person on the magazine...

And these are the people that the propaganda is targeting. Notice anything different? It is all media manipulation for a PC world aimed at record high profits by persuading the public what is right and wrong what is beautiful and what is not, what is ok and what is outrageous. I hold my own values, views, and beliefs and try really hard to stay away from this type of manipulation.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Nope, you can convince yourself as much as you like but your skeleton will look the same as everyone else's when you remove the skin, muscles, and fat.
It is fat that makes your hip look big, not some oversized mutant bones underneath, but hey, keep deluding yourself.

Humans have variances in muscles and skeletal proportions as well. I've seen thin women with wide hips and overweight women with narrow hips. Everyone doesn't have the same skeletal proportions and same muscle size/shape with variances only caused by the amount of fat.

Sorry if you were just being sarcastic with your post and it went over my head, it seemed as though you actually believed what you wrote though.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

No sarcasm, the variations you describe of course occur naturally but the differences are not as dramatic, unless you have an interesting medical read you could link to.
Most people who look fat, are fat.
I live in the UK and I remember few fat people in the 1970's, perhaps you are saying this skeletal difference thing has advanced in our genetics or something? I say there are just more fat people these days because they ingest more calories than they burn.

Big boned and the like, maybe for the few fat people in the 1970's, maybe, but our modern society? Nope, just people who eat too many calories than they need, you know, how the body stores the excess as fat.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Your wording in the post got me, so my apologies for the snide reply. I think our scale of "Big Hips" might be different but we're in agreement on the point. My wife would kill for wider hips, but not wider via thick layers of fat (thankfully.) I think when people admire or brag about a woman's "hips" when they're actually referring to the "extra baggage" of decades of processed foods, they're somehow confused about the difference between "hips" and "unhealthy levels of obesity." Hey, if they find it attractive, that's fine with me, but you're right - hips are bones, not the Big Macs adhering to them.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

Lol, no worries

Regarding the company in the OP, there is a massive potential market to be tapped from the people who are fat, through advertising and much more so I can see a business reason for sure.
If I was in clothing sales I'd definitely have plenty of larger stock and be fat friendly, telling customers they look amazing in it etc. I would be lying of course because I am repulsed by fat, but business is business.
Does anyone really think all those workers mean it when they say Have a nice day?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join