It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Death of Scalia and the Resulting Political Furor over His Replacement.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

Great, then if we are a secular nation, WWJD really doesn't matter when discussing political views now, does it?

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

That's right, burd. It makes no sense to raise religion when talking politics.

Strange that so many wrap themselves up in His name while stumping. Their job, if elected, is to look after earthly matters.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

No more strange than pandering to any other religion while stumping...

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Like Orthodox Christianity, Islam or the Torah?

LOL

I'd like to see that. The first American politician that declares the Trinity BS would go down in history alright (as the biggest loser in an election ever).

You see, what's important for politicians is to wrap themselves up in the most popular religion in the country. More votes that way. In America, that's the Evangelicals, so that's who they ally themselves with whether they actually live a Christian life or not. It's more important that they say they're Christian than actually abide by the tenets of Christianity. Care for the poor, turn the other cheek, bear no false witness? *hawk* *spit*

Nothing wrong with having belief on a personal level, but when they USE that to gain power, that's a problem. I think we already covered that in this thread. Both parties do it, both parties profit from it, but it doesn't make it right.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Besides... I'd like to get back to the original topic of the OP, which is the situation which the passing of Justice Scalia has brought into the election.

The Republicans have threatened to block any appointee that Obama puts forward and my guess is that they will be able to do just that. POTUS has every constitutional right to attempt appointments too, so we have a problem here.

If the Democrats win in November, then what will the Republicans do? Keep on sloughing them off for 4. 8 or 16 years? And if the Republicans win, they'll install another right winger, like Scalia, and the Koch brothers can rest easy with their billionaire buddies. The super rich can get superduper rich. YAY!!!

WWJD

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: masqua
I'd like to see that. The first American politician that declares the Trinity BS would go down in history alright (as the biggest loser in an election ever).

They'd carry the Islamic, atheist, and heathen demographic, though. Well... sort of like the DNC currently does.
Dark money vs Dark Pandering, ya?

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
So, let's take a look at who is behind all those political donations to the Republican Party. Leading the push is, of course, the Koch brothers:

The enormity of the Koch fortune is no mystery. Brothers Charles and David are each worth more than $40 billion. The electoral influence of the Koch brothers is similarly well-chronicled. The Kochs are our homegrown oligarchs; they've cornered the market on Republican politics and are nakedly attempting to buy Congress and the White House. Their political network helped finance the Tea Party and powers today's GOP. Koch-affiliated organizations raised some $400 million during the 2012 election, and aim to spend another $290 million to elect Republicans in this year's midterms. So far in this cycle, Koch-backed entities have bought 44,000 political ads to boost Republican efforts to take back the Senate.

Read more: www.rollingstone.com...
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Their father, Fred Koch, made his fortune building refineries in Soviet Russia and pre-WWII Germany. There are some interesting facets of his history, such as being involved with the John Birch Society. Regarding Charles and David Koch, it looks like those two apples didn't fall far from the tree. More on that family coming up.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   

"Heathen" ... Democrats carry the Asatru vote?

News to me.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Let me get this straight: The Koch brothers were active in the formation of the Tea Party There’s lots online about that.

It’s also true than many Tea Party people love Donald Trump and are a significant part of his success.

But Trump doesn’t like The Tea Party much.

www.politico.com...

No wonder then, that the Koch brothers are scheming to ‘dump Trump’.

INDIAN WELLS, Calif. – Donald Trump is so fiercely opposed by the Koch brothers network that some donors believe the powerful group will intervene to stop the billionaire if it looks like he could win the Republican presidential nomination.

"They are always very hesitant to get involved in a primary, but I think if they were going to do it, this would be the time because they just hate the guy,” said a donor who attended the Koch network’s winter retreat, held over the weekend at a luxury resort on the edge of Coachella Valley.

Both officials and donors within Charles and David Koch's powerful group hope the real estate tycoon's White House bid dies a natural death so the group can avoid spending a penny of its $889 million 2016 cycle budget against him. But the Koch network's conversations over the weekend concerning what to do about Trump were more detailed than previously revealed.

thehill.com...

2013: www.forbes.com...

Irony, sweet irony.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Jane Mayer is making news north of the US border too.

The brothers — David and Charles — run the second-largest private corporation in the United States. Each is worth an estimated $45 billion. They have used wealth and power to wage a covert campaign to shift American thinking and policies towards their own far-right libertarian views, Mayer says.

"They get to dominate the conversation and change policies in America by funding a kind of chorus of support for what they want."

Mayer argues that the influence of Koch brothers even stretches into Canada, fuelled by their extensive holdings in Alberta's oil sands. Mayer says the Koch brothers have also given hundreds of thousands of dollars to Fraser Institute, a Canadian think-tank.

www.cbc.ca...

I'm currently reading her book 'Dark Money' and it is damning to say the least. I understand she is a NYT reporter and that she may have a portion of bias in the matter, but I try to research whatever she discloses and find confirmation elsewhere.

Fascinating book.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join