It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mis-management of Terror funds by Texas.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   
It appears that every thing in Texas IS bigger, including greed. The Texas Engineering Extension Service is responsible for handeling the money for Texas. Instead of putting it into the security of the state, they decided to buy a trailor to hauld 'Drag Racing Lawnmowers'!

AUSTIN, Texas - An audit of the state's spending of nearly $600 million in federal anti-terrorism funds found that some of the money was spent improperly, including to buy a trailer that was used to haul lawn mowers to "lawn mower drag races."

The article goes on to say that one county bought 18 radios and some communications equipment from a company owned by one of its county commissioners. Can you say kickback?

edit: OOPS! Just realized that I forgot the link.

story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/terrorism_spending

[edit on 1/10/05 by Kidfinger]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Thats Texas for ya'll!! YEE HAW!! As a resident for 3 years there I can tell you the good'ole boys rule, and nothing suprises me when it happens in Texas. They're state sport is still Rodeo!
Texas is just as dysfunctional as our President's brain is.

[edit on 10-1-2005 by Prince_Machiavelli]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Why do things like this always happen in Texas?
9 times out of ten when ever something stupid happens in America it seems like it happens in Texas.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Actually, this sort of thing happens everywhere. And if you don't think its happening in your jurisdiction, its just because the scoundrels haven't been caught yet.

Scandals of just this sort cost the current Canadian government its majority in the last election, and almost cost it the election. One of the great remaining challenges of democracy is to ensure consistent, reliably honest government, without the constant threat of waste, mismanagement and corruption.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Well that tells me how worry are these people in Texas about getting a terrorist attack.

Humm I wonder perhaps they know something we don't, I mean about terrorist attack

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Well that tells me how worry are these people in Texas about getting a terrorist attack.

Humm I wonder perhaps they know something we don't, I mean about terrorist attack

People in Texas aren't concerned about terrorist, especially in a place where lawn mower races are a sport. I lived in one of those areas. Whats strange is they give that money to places in Texas, but not to Oklahoma which has one of the most important air force bases in the United States, Tinker Air Force base.

[edit on 10-1-2005 by Prince_Machiavelli]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:34 PM
link   
The truth is that things like the above instances of malfeasance happen everywhere. The are more often REPORTED in Texas because many of the elected officials are conservative (from both parties) while the state's capitol newspaper (the Austin American-Statesman) is decidedly liberal.

Another example is the campus newspaper at UT Austin, the "Daily Texan," known to students as the "deadly toxin." It is thicker than many city papers in America, and prides itself on beaking stories of state-wide and regional interest. When I was a student back in the 80's, it was the campus newspaper that helped bust open the nationwide savings & loan scandals.

Add to these the more middle of the road Dallas Morning News and Houston Chronicle, and you get a local media that lives up to what the authors of the 1st amendment had in mind.

Anyplace where the newspaper has a different slant than the local politics, you will find excellent reporting.

On the other hand, compare this with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (otherwise known as the "urinal constipation") which is famouns for its support of all "good ole boys," of whatever party, and you can see that the bias of local press goes a long way toward exposing or paving over the doings of politics as usual.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
And here I thought it was because we were going to come up with a new state slogan about "mowing down terroists!" Goshdarn it -- now we're going to have to come up with something clver for th OTHER goodies that we bought from that budget!

Darn meddling newspapers!

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
And here I thought it was because we were going to come up with a new state slogan about "mowing down terroists!" Goshdarn it -- now we're going to have to come up with something clver for th OTHER goodies that we bought from that budget!

That would violate the "Don't Mess with Texas" slogan.

They don't even know about the mechanical bull they bought yet! Or the tickets to the "BIG" tractor pull in Ft Worth.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

OBL is in the field? Get out the Toro's boys, we're goin' mowin!

Seriously now, from what I have read, most of ya think this happens every where. My pessimisim towards our government would be inclined to agree, except I cant find any other instances of other states buying lawnmower racing trailers. So what gives? Are the officials in Texas all just dull lightbulbs?
If you guys/gals have heard of any other terror fund mismanagement, please let us know here. We could make this the accountability thread

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Mess With Texas!

Now I know why the entire legal system in TexASS is so ineffective. They are amatuers posing as professionals with nothing more than a High School Education (which is like grammar school everywhere else). The TexASS Department of Safety is loaded with the worst trained officers (should be less than security guards) in all of the country. The rest of the United States has no need for TexAss and would be better off if we handed it, G.W. Bush and his Klan, and Alberto Gonzales over to Mexico.

Too bad that would only cause Mexico a world of hurt.

[edit on 11-1-2005 by Chuck Stevenson]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by AboveTopSecret.com
. Insulting rhetoric, even when directed at political groups and not specific ATS members is strictly forbidden and will result in [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread50585/pg1]warnings

Gee, if only we could find a mod who felt like enforcing this one.

I'm sure that if I made the same hothead assertions about chuck's state, they'd be right on the scene.

I guess its PC to knock the red states in general, and Texas in particular. Figures.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

I guess its PC to knock the red states in general, and Texas in particular. Figures.

CS's comments about Texas were very harsh. I will admit that. But dont you think its a little odd that no other state has been shown to abuse the terrorist funds so blatently as Texas has? Jesus, you guys blew more money on stupid, non security related crap than my state--Ky.--was even allotted. I think the wastfullness ought to be addressed in a court setting. If found guilty, I believe Texas should have to forfit thier money and divy it up amoung the states who havent recieved 1/8th of what Texas got.

[edit on 1/12/05 by Kidfinger]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chuck Stevenson
Mess With Texas!

Now I know why the entire legal system in TexASS is so ineffective. They are amatuers posing as professionals with nothing more than a High School Education (which is like grammar school everywhere else). The TexASS Department of Safety is loaded with the worst trained officers (should be less than security guards) in all of the country. The rest of the United States has no need for TexAss and would be better off if we handed it, G.W. Bush and his Klan, and Alberto Gonzales over to Mexico.

Too bad that would only cause Mexico a world of hurt.

[edit on 11-1-2005 by Chuck Stevenson]

Ever heard of the Texas Rangers? The article makes a "claim" that the trailer was used for something other than security. It's an allegation. The cost of a trailer that size is about $400. BFD if is was FACT. The FBI sends agents to train "with" Texas DPS and the Rangers.

Sounds more like you got a "ticket" on our highways or got busted!

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid

Ever heard of the Texas Rangers?

Arnt they the ones who 'Always get thier man!'?

I bet being pulled over by one of them guys is akin to being pulled over by Marine on traffic duty.

About the price of the trailer. That is assuming it can only haul one drag mower. The article actually pluralises mower's when the trailer is mentioned, but it never states wether it was a single trailer or larger. If it was for multiple mowers, it could get up into the thousands of dollars. There was also mention of other items that were purchased that didnt relat to security, but the article did not go into detail on them.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger

CS's comments about Texas were very harsh. I will admit that. But dont you think its a little odd that no other state has been shown to abuse the terrorist funds so blatently as Texas has? Jesus, you guys blew more money on stupid, non security related crap than my state--Ky.--was even allotted. I think the wastfullness ought to be addressed in a court setting. If found guilty, I believe Texas should have to forfit thier money and divy it up amoung the states who havent recieved 1/8th of what Texas got.

First off, Chuck Stevenson wasn't addressing the fraud issues, just calling Texans and it's employess a bunch of dumb----. He was just calling people names.

As you say, "a little harsh." (only a little though, right? As long as he's knocking the South, Texas, Republicans, et al.)

Second, Texas has recieved a much larger amount of Terror funds. The Port of Houston is America's busiest port by volume, and second only two Long Beach, CA in terms of TEU's (Those stackable container thingy's.) It has the longest single border with Mexico, It has one of the nation's busiest Airports (DFW) and it has a population of 23 million people, of whom probably 2 million are in the USA illegally. So, more money was sent to Texas. Since humans everywhere are succeptible to greed, it is hardly surprising that there would be more fraud where the money is, than in for example, your own state.

Third, if you think Texans are somehow "dirtier" than your own crowd, how about a few links:

Kentucky official awaits trial on vote-rigging he committed in 2004 and in 2000 in exchange for $25,000.

www.courier-journal.com...

Apparently, the Great State of Kentucky is frequently the target of fraudulent visas (greencards), issued to foreigners traveling to the US:

www.nationalvisaregistry.com...

I guess many states need more "anti-terror funds" than they are getting alright.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   

As you say, "a little harsh." (only a little though, right? As long as he's knocking the South, Texas, Republicans, et al.)

Umm..........Sarcasm Doc. And actually, if you had read my post a little closer, I said VERY, not LITTLE.

Second, Texas has recieved a much larger amount of Terror funds. The Port of Houston is America's busiest port by volume, and second only two Long Beach, CA in terms of TEU's (Those stackable container thingy's.) It has the longest single border with Mexico, It has one of the nation's busiest Airports (DFW) and it has a population of 23 million people, of whom probably 2 million are in the USA illegally. So, more money was sent to Texas. Since humans everywhere are succeptible to greed, it is hardly surprising that there would be more fraud where the money is, than in for example, your own state.

And this gives them the right to mismanage terror funds? Im not bashing Texas, Im nagging on the inability to handle Terror Funding.

Third, if you think Texans are somehow "dirtier" than your own crowd, how about a few links:

And not one of those examples related to Terror funding. Which, incidently, is what this thread is about. This thread, however, is not about the prevalent fraud that happens in every state. I never said Ky. was not guilty of some form of fraud. I said Ky. has not abused the terror funding it was provided, or at least it hasnt been brought to light yet.

I can admit that there is a serious problem with illegal immigration, and it pisses me off. Can you admit the fact that Texsas got much more than it deserved, and then, mishandled the funds? It sounds more like you are defending a weekend at the Lawnmower Drag National Championship.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Fine. You are correct, kidfinger. Texas gets more than its share of money. It steals it from the other forty nine states. It spends all the money on lawnmower racists.

Funny isn't it, that we are not spending all this bandwidth on discussing the crimes or merits of Kentucky, or Michigan or Rhode Island. I wonder why that is.

What does a hat from Pennsylvania look like?

Alaska has more oil than Texas; doesn't anyone else remember the 80's soap opera "Anchorage?"

And then there's technology, like Ohio Instruments, and the Hoboken Space Center. . . .

The only things texas furnishes the other 49 with are neanderthal presidents and punchlines for stupid jokes.

Every other state in the union is composed entirely of selfless saints, who are well educated, unbiased and long-suffering when it comes to the emotional abuses heaped on them from the uneducated honky-tonk down by the border, where folk cannot differentiate between their sisters and their wives.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Fine. You are correct, kidfinger.

I know.

Funny isn't it, that we are not spending all this bandwidth on discussing the crimes or merits of Kentucky, or Michigan or Rhode Island. I wonder why that is.

Because noone has started a thread on it.

What does a hat from Pennsylvania look like?

I dont know. Ive never been there.

Alaska has more oil than Texas; doesn't anyone else remember the 80's soap opera "Anchorage?"

Nope, I dont watch daytime TV.

And then there's technology, like Ohio Instruments, and the Hoboken Space Center. . . .

And that has to do with what?

The only things texas furnishes the other 49 with are neanderthal presidents and punchlines for stupid jokes.

Every other state in the union is composed entirely of selfless saints, who are well educated, unbiased and long-suffering when it comes to the emotional abuses heaped on them from the uneducated honky-tonk down by the border, where folk cannot differentiate between their sisters and their wives.

HAHA Thats funny! I thought Kentucky and Arkansas were the only two sates that people said that about

Look Doc. I am addressing one states corupt handeling of Terror Fund money. Im not discussing politics about the 49 other states. If you wish to do so, then start another thread and I will be happy to reply in defence of my state. Untill then, please quit hijacking this thread in an attempt to make it sound like we are rediculing all Texas citizens based on one unintelligent post. No body berated you guys in any way. Wer were addressing the handeling of funds. Can you accept that?

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger
. . . .please quit hijacking this thread in an attempt to make it sound like we are rediculing all Texas citizens based on one unintelligent post. No body berated you guys in any way. Wer were addressing the handeling of funds. Can you accept that?

One unintelligent post.

From Prince_Maciavelli:

Texas is just as dysfunctional as our President's brain is.

From Boogyman:

Why do things like this always happen in Texas?
9 times out of ten when ever something stupid happens in America it seems like it happens in Texas

And again by Prince_Maciavelli:

especially in a place where lawn mower races are a sport.

And all of those BEFORE chuck posted.

And just take a look at your own words, the ones that started off this thread:

It appears that every thing in Texas IS bigger, including greed.

But I won't continue to "hijack" the otherwise sterling intellectual content of this thread.

Have fun.

[edit on 12-1-2005 by dr_strangecraft]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join