It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Sea Oil Industry Kills The Fish Then Runs Away

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Many years ago concerns were raised about environmental damage caused by dumping drilling mud on the sea floor. One solution was to dump it on a tip in the dunes at Blackdog, Aberdeen. For years it has been oozing under the beach and out to sea, killing the fish.

Usually you have to dig to see the oil, as seen in the video, but after the recent torrential rain the flow of oil has been brought to the surface.

www.pressandjournal.co.uk...

Edna Booth, secretary of the local residents association, said the cause of the pollution was drilling mud poured into the landfill three decades ago . .

. . .

That beach has been polluted for 20 years. It has got a fairly checkered history.

But I think it is the worst I have ever seen it.

. . .

Local councillor Allan Hendry said: “A lot of the land there is totally dead. When the landfill was formed in the late 1930s they just dumped anything and everything.

Others have campaigned for recognition of this problem, then been mysteriously silenced. These videos are still here.

We wonder why there is a shortage of spring salmon. Since 1988, this landfill has been leaking out pollutant derived from the oil industry. From 1988 to 1992, a waste recycling company used this landfill to dispose of non-notifiable liquid waste, in other words, the washings etc out of oil tankers and ships. In 1992, it was licenced by Aberdeenshire Council to accept drilling mud which contained hydrocarbons, phenols and lots and lots of other nasty materials, which are harmful to marine life and yes, wait for it, it was licenced as a dilute and disperse site and was completely unlined, therefore ran straight to the sea in the migratory paths of silver fish and their smolt. This pollutant leaches out all year round and is at its' worst between October and May, when we have storms at sea, heavy snow/rainfall. If you study the catch records as I have, I believe this tells the story.
www.salmonfishingforum.com...

Licensed as a dilute and disperse site.

Licensed to kill.

When the North Sea Oil Industry began, talks were held with the fishing community and promises were made. But we know how the oil industry honours promises.

Short term financial gain has led to a serious decline in fish numbers. Hunger sharpens the senses. When food runs short we'll look back at the oil industry and ask if fish may have been more valuable, long term.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Wow.

The former landfill site at Blackdog is believed to have been used as a dumping spot between the 1930s and 1980s.

Reminds me of the BP spill, somewhere out there on the bottom of the ocean floor, sits millions of gallows of cruid

So sad for those families, I would be livid....

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I wonder how they would run their backhoe without oil.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Whilst your highlighting of irony is nice, let's not try to divert blame from anyone but these oil corporations, we had the teach a hundred years ago to have electric power engines and engines running on biofuel but the oil companies made sure we'd be using the black gold.

No, the fault is entirely on big oil

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
|Damn you Rockefeller!

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch

Don't forget these other players:

J.P. Morgan and Thomas Alva Edison.

The 'Morganization of America' assured that the only competition was what was allowed and even then, it's not really competition as the interlocking corporate interests overlap so much as to negate any sort of difference between one brand of product and another.

Edison - patent monger. Enough said.

DuPont and Hearst their campaign against hemp.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

It's a diesel..it will run on cooking oil, what exactly is your point?..we use oil so f#ck the enviroment..they make obscenely astronomical amounts of money but can't clean up after themselves, of course now that oil is down they will cry poor.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
This just makes me so sick. It reminds me of a pic I saw not long ago.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Absolutely sickening!!!!

And to think that while a person could go to jail and end up with a record for life just for using pot, I seriously doubt that anyone will ever be charged, much less jailed, for poisoning our planet.

IMO, Knowing what we know today, anyone who supports the continued use of fossil fuels is both an enemy of the planet & humanity.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Just try to get free of fossil energy....
Perhaps in England or Holland where you can walk anywhere in the country in a day.....
Try to travel 1-200 miles just to go to the hospital that's big enough to do surgery....
The world is too big to get along without transport.....
Diesel trucks deliver everything you eat.....drink....or wipe your butt with.....
GM and Rockefeller killed off the trolley car/streetcar, railroads of the American cities turn of the century....
The robber barons have milked society like a leech sucks your blood....and it still goes on....

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 12:56 AM
link   

I agree. Though we have to remember Rudolf Diesel ran his engines first on coal dust then peanut oil.

At the Exposition Rudolf Diesel exhibited his diesel engine, running on peanut oil.
en.wikipedia.org...(1900)

The whole oil industry could have been run differently. But it wasn't. Greed and shortsightedness have led us here.

A man I hadn't seen for thirty five years spoke to me recently. His work is vital to the oil industry. He pays his labourers £600 a day, it's dangerous work. He confessed to me, "We're leaving the mess for our children to clear up, with no reward for them there, just impossible workloads". He also said, "When something goes wrong, everyone walks away".

That is the issue. Not the existence of an oil industry, it's the way it's been run. Oil is the natural blood of the Earth. It deserves much more respect.
edit on 15 2 2016 by Kester because: new word order

top topics

join