It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Broken discipline tracking systems let teachers flee troubled pasts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Holy crap. What in the # is wrong with our system? So just to paraphrase, apparently the background doesn't follow the teachers across state lines?

I don't have kiddos but this should scare the ship out of parents. I was never a fan of the public school system. This is just pathetic

Georgia officials revoked a teacher’s license after finding he exchanged sexual texts and naked photos with a female student and was involved in physical altercations with two others.

A central Florida teacher’s credentials were suspended after she was charged with battery for allegedly shoving and yelling at a 6-year-old student.

In Texas, a middle school math teacher lost his job and teaching license after he was caught on camera allegedly trying to meet a teenage boy in a sting set up by NBC’s nationally aired TV program To Catch a Predator.

All three of those teachers found their way back to the front of public school classrooms, simply by crossing state lines. They’re far from alone.

L I N K

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Holy crap. What in the # is wrong with our system? So just to paraphrase, apparently the background doesn't follow the teachers across state lines?

I don't have kiddos but this should scare the ship out of parents. I was never a fan of the public school system. This is just pathetic

a reply to: ReadLeader

You think private schools and charter schools have a better safety net? They have a lot less regulations than private and charter schools! I'm not saying schools shouldn't be doing background checks across state lines. It should be mandated by the federal government that all states are required to do background checks on teachers or anyone working with children before being hired.

I know in my state, every teacher or person who works with children must go through a criminal and child abuse background check. We also are required to do it every three years in which the teacher pays for the background check! I worked in the public school system for 22 years. Don't paint the public school system with such a broad brush. Every state is different.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Well DUH!

For GOODNESS DAMNED SAKE!

Look, let's get this spelled out so that even the educational establishment can understand it, shall we?

Criminal offenders cross state lines in order to escape all manner of histories. Breaking and entering, serial murder, hijacking, car jacking, bank robbery, serial sex crimes... It is a known situation, not a new one in the least. Therefore, there should already be a nationwide database of teachers, complete with driving liscence photographs, and any aliases under which these individuals may have worked before, which tracks that individual nationwide, and ignores state lines as if they were not there.

Is that plain enough, do you think? The very idea that the education establishment is not capable of figuring out that it needs access to a nationwide informational network, to ensure students are not placed in situations where their teachers are a threat to them, is frankly absurd. Fingerprints, facial scans, retinal scans, and every other biometric analysis, ought to be collected for all teachers, so that when one of them steps off the beaten path, they can be fired from a job in the safe knowledge that they will never take another job in that field again, ANYWHERE!

new topics

top topics

join