It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: China Agrees to Direct Charter Flights with Taiwan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 01:26 AM
link   
China and Taiwan have agreed in principal to allow direct chartered flights between the two nations for the upcoming Lunar New Year in February. However, the pro independence government must still grant final approval. If approved, this would mark the first time direct flights would be allowed since 1949. It is hoped that this would help ease some of the tension between the two nations.

story.news.yahoo.com
BEIJING (Reuters) - China agreed on Monday to the first direct charter flights to and from arch rival Taiwan during the Lunar New Year holiday in February, the first such links in more than 50 years, Taiwan opposition legislators said.

Beijing wanted the flights to go ahead without transit stops in Hong Kong or Macau, and Chinese airlines to be involved, the legislators said after meeting in Beijing with Chen Yunlin, minister of China's Taiwan Affairs Office.

The decision puts the ball in the court of Taiwan President Chen Shui-bian and his ruling pro-independence Democratic Progressive Party (DPP), whose approval will be necessary for the flights to happen when Lunar New Year starts on Feb. 9.

If all goes well, the charters will be the first direct flights between Taiwan and China since 1949 when Nationalist troops fled to the island after losing the Chinese civil war on the mainland to the Communists.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Once again China is making a few gestures to look good for the coming Olympics. Will this really serve to reduce tension, or is it simply a PR move? I think the PR angle is clearly what is going on. If China really wanted to reduce tension, they could simply de-escalate their buildup of forces along the straight. However, not only have they not done so, there is evidence that they are accelerating their buildup. Once the Olympics are over, you can expect that they will really begin the rattling. Hopefully Taiwan will have brought newer defenses online to prevent any hostile acts.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Hopefully someone in Taiwan has watched red dawn lol. Really though china could just wait a few more years, let the Us weasel further away from taiwan. Then they could stage a terrorist attack claim it was pro-independance taiwanese agents, and launch against taiwan. And noone would notice

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Actually its should be the other way around. And the number of flights would be around 9 if I read the article correctly. i know your tounge in cheek, but that would be a scenario that they they should keep in mind given the relative hostility between the two countries.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Fred, as I have told you (and others) for weeks the tension is smoke.

China and Taiwan need each other. They serve purposes that we (non-Chinese and no_Taiwanese) can not imagine. It may make no sense from the outside, but from the inside I'll wager all is going according to carefully orchestrated 'understandings.'

new topics

top topics

join