It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming Good For Canada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
In the next 20-50 years, the Artic Ice sheet will melt opening the "The Northwest passage" changing the world ocean shipping routes, opening up exploration for more oil & natural gas in Northern Canada & leading to new Coastal cities, fishing, and changes in balances to world power.
Any one agree?

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Its good for Canada in an Economic sense... How it will effect the weather is another question. Would you rather Canada get rich off of exploiting the resources of the earth or would you rather garner International respect by protecting the Environment and putting money toward sustainable developement so we won't need to exploit all of our resources. I would prefer the latter even though it may be hard work to achieve the payoffs are much higher IMHO.

EDIT: Like for instance we could quite literally be the next Saudi Arabia when it comes to energy. I'm not talking about Oil here, think Hydrogen
We got access to water, lots of it, and lots of Wind and Tidal energy which we could harness to produce the H2 cleanly. And we are already installing Refuelling Pumps in Toronto, They wanna have 4 installed by the end of this year. 1 is up and running 3 to go

Think outside the box, a new Industial Revolution is coming, don't be part of the fallout be part of the "Next Thing". Think small, Think Nanotechnology

EDIT2: Man that sounded like a sales pitch Bad ME!

[edit on 10-1-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Some people theorize that global warming will turn off the gulf stream and cause the North Atlantic and Arctic Ocean to actually get colder. It would definately cause more erratic weather including more of both hot and cold extemes so Canada would probably be hit by more violent blizzards and ice storms in the winter as well as heat waves in the summer, so it may help with summer agriculture but I don't think it'd help your winters or keep the Arctic open to navigation.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 01:37 AM
link   
In all actuallity we are still coming out of an iceage as we speak. If you look at the history of the earth, the entire planet has always been considerable warmer than it has in the last 10000 years. Our current temp is actually an anomally than the norm. The entire planet was once a swamp, a rain forest, etc. When the australian continental plate was further south during the jurrasic era where antartica is now it was warm with dinosuars running around. The planet is actually suppossed to be getting warmer basing on paleo geology. This global warming would be happening even if humans never existed! One volcanic eruption, or ocean methane "Burp" releases more carbon dioxide into the earth's atmosphere than all the fossil fuels ever burnt combined.
PAY ATTENTION IN YOUR SCIENCE CLASSES before you go believing everything they say on liberal controlled television.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I don't think it would such a great thing if the northern shipping routes open. With the state of our military, we don't have nearly enough people to patrol up there. Heck, if it weren't for the Inuit, we probably wouldn't own up there. The Danish have already challenged our sovereignty by landing and parading about in our territory (take note, Americans, the Danish are coming!!!!) and the US has tested us on it once or twice. If we could hold off global warming for a while, until we built up a military and navy, that would change things.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
take note, Americans, the Danish are coming!!!!

You'll have to fend for yourselves in a war with the Danes. I don't think it'd matter much to the U.S. whether we had Canada or Denmark to our North...if it was the Chinese, that'd be a different story.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Great, first you and the Danes take over our national sport, and now it appears you may be conspiring with them to take over our territory. I thought you were our friends

edited to add that according to Don Cherry it is the Swedes that are taking over the sport, but they're really close to Denmark, and could be behind the whole thing, so I thought hey, why not.

[edit on 10-1-2005 by Duzey]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
Great, first you and the Danes take over our national sport, and now it appears you may be conspiring with them to take over our territory. I thought you were our friends

edited to add that according to Don Cherry it is the Swedes that are taking over the sport, but they're really close to Denmark, and could be behind the whole thing, so I thought hey, why not.

[edit on 10-1-2005 by Duzey]

No its the Czech's that are taking over...erm no its the Russians no Canada Juniors beat them like 6-1 7-1 or somthing like that. Great players come out in bursts in Canada and the new stars(Crosby etc). Canada is taking things back. Gotta get that ratio up to 80 % again
Not some piddly 55 %

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by BattleofBatoche
PAY ATTENTION IN YOUR SCIENCE CLASSES before you go believing everything they say on liberal controlled television.

Umm hoping your not talking about High School cuz if you are and your not in MENSA then I advise you to keep an open mind
Here is a link to mull over...

Scientific Consensus in Global Warming

This global warming would be happening even if humans never existed!

Yes I agree it probably would but we are accelorating it, because Methane and C02 are proven to be greenhouse gasses which we are spewing by the ton every single day. (C02 that is, the methane problem will not really show itself until some of the permafrost starts to thaw... )
en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

The current average of C02 output per car is 172.1g/km. Do the math.....

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Those were some really sad Russian faces there. I almost felt sorry for them, but then I had another beer and it went away. Good times, good times.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:31 AM
link   
well one Fact that the "liberal control television" was spewing was for a long long time is about

CFC's or chloroflorocarbons

they are a neat chemical
but they do something kinda negative it seems

they destroy ozone which in turn causes ultraviolet radiation from the sun to sneak thru the earths atmosphere thus causing skin cancer rates to increase

do you admit this truth
or do you deny that too?

does the conservatives try to cover this one up too?

oh what? do trees release CFCs naturally in such a massive amount that human production couldnt even touch it?
nope they dont

CFCs are proof that human technology can destroy the earth enviornemnt
sorry capitalists
your screwing up this planet for your own personal desire to get rich

sad isnt it

now lets watch them deny intelligence lol..

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
well one Fact that the "liberal control television" was spewing was for a long long time is about

CFC's or chloroflorocarbons

they are a neat chemical
but they do something kinda negative it seems

they destroy ozone which in turn causes ultraviolet radiation from the sun to sneak thru the earths atmosphere thus causing skin cancer rates to increase

do you admit this truth
or do you deny that too?

does the conservatives try to cover this one up too?

oh what? do trees release CFCs naturally in such a massive amount that human production couldnt even touch it?
nope they dont

CFCs are proof that human technology can destroy the earth enviornemnt
sorry capitalists
your screwing up this planet for your own personal desire to get rich

sad isnt it

now lets watch them deny intelligence lol..

Most if not all industrialized nations have banned the use of CFCs years and years ago...what are you talking about?

[edit on 1/10/2005 by djohnsto77]

[edit on 1/10/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:47 AM
link   
these chemicals don't come from burning fossil fuels dummy!!!
Spray paint, hair spray, Pam, but not oil & gas dumb dumb.
Aerosols.
Think twice before you practice graphitti chachie!

[edit on 10-1-2005 by BattleofBatoche]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by BattleofBatoche
these chemicals don't come from burning fossil fuels dummy!!!
Spay paint, hair spray, Pam, but not oil & gas dumb dumb.
Aerosols.
Think twice before you practice graphitti chachie!

Umm he was drawing a comparison I believe between the Industry attitude of the CFC producers and the attitudes we see today about Global Warming..

new topics

top topics

join