It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Masked men shoot police officer in Mississippi

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Well, more bad news. The shooters were robbing a business. Probably a couple of hundred bucks. The officer responds, due to suspicious behavior. One of the suspects had a weapon.

The officer was shot in the head. He is out of surgery and will recover. A sad day for sure. I hope they find these two!

Two masked men shot a police officer in the head while he was responding to a robbery in Mississippi, authorities said.

POLICE OFFICER SHOT

The gunmen are on the run after the shooting in Clarksdale on Saturday night.

The wounded officer, who works for the Clarksdale Police Department, is out of surgery and in stable condition, Mayor Bill Luckett said.

The men were robbing the store when the officer, who was nearby, noticed suspicious activity there, according to the mayor. Two clerks fled through the back door.

The men stole money from a cash register and took off, Luckett said.The gunmen are on the run after the shooting in Clarksdale on Saturday night.

L I N K

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

The men were robbing the store when the officer, who was nearby, noticed suspicious activity there, according to the mayor. Two clerks fled through the back door.

Not suspicious looking enough to wait for back up to arrive.

He was gong to 'check it out' on his own.

Brave but fool hardy.… I don't know what prompted him to approach close enough to get shot ether, I guess people fleeing a building is somewhat suspicious.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Brave but fool hardy.… I don't know what prompted him to approach close enough to get shot ether, I guess people fleeing a building is somewhat suspicious.

Perhaps, like a lot of other Americans on ATS he thought his gun made him invincible. lol, nobody can dodge bullets, whether you own your own gun or not.

..... just saying.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Such a tragedy. Glad he's alive, hope they fix him up good.

Is shooting people over ownership of what ever was being robbed really the right thing to do?

Assuming the story we read is absolutely factual, this police officer who did not shoot first is a testament to his value as a man and a public servant, and to his possibly equally brave colleagues of the Clarksdale Police Department who did not arrive with tanks, sealed up the area and searched every home within a seventy three nautical mile radius to shoot alleged potential communists encountered during the search for the real shooter.

This armed man responded appropriately and his self control, which is the best form of control, is admired. Hope he make it to Lt when he gets out.

It's like Ghandi says: first they mock you, then they attack you, then you win.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

mmm, I don't know about invincibility. Of all people officers know how vulnerable they are. I was trying to put myself in his position, seeing people flee a building (if thats how it went down)?

I'd be careful about what doorway I poke my head into after that. Maybe ask the guys fleeing, "whats up?", first.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: wisvol

Assuming the story we read is absolutely factual, this police officer who did not shoot first is a testament to his value as a man and a public servant…

Getting surprised and shot isn't "heroic". Waiting and following at a distance to see where they go until somebody else arrives to help in the interdiction is better than going to the hospital, or morgue, imo.

But I wasn't there, either.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   

There is so much to hate in this reply but most people that own guns dont run around like its a dam video game........you werent there so who are you to assume why he went on his own?

The people of the world need to realize that America is not the only country with a gun problem........the guns arent the problem though, its a bad guy with bad plans having the gun and people assuming that they will be saved when that bad guy points it at you.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

Perhaps, like a lot of other Americans on ATS he thought his gun made him invincible. lol, nobody can dodge bullets, whether you own your own gun or not.

..... just saying.

If your looking for a fight,
why stop at "like a lot of other Americans on ATS"?
edit on R2016am14C2016000000Sun, 14 Feb 2016 09:44:16 -060016America/Chicago by RoadCourse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

..... just saying.

What are you going on about? One too many Foster's, eh mate? How do you know what "a lot of other Americans on ATS" think about owning guns? Many do not own guns. Of those that do, why would they think that they were "invincible?"

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Shot in the head AND survived??
Probably a stolen .22, .25, or .32. Hopefully when he returns to duty, he will be more cautious and wait for backup next time. Also, they probably were not actually aiming at his head but just shooting wildly in his direction and landed a lucky shoot, the bastards. They will be caught soon. Likely stupid enough to still have the weapon in their possession too. That will make the case easier.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: DavidWright
The people of the world need to realize that America is not the only country with a gun problem........

If a cop got shot in the head while trying to prevent a crime in any other 1st world country, it would be a huge news story. But in the US, its just business as usual... So obviously (for whatever reason) there is a more significant 'gun problem' in the US, than in most other 1st world counties.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   

a reply to: wisvol

Assuming the story we read is absolutely factual, this police officer who did not shoot first is a testament to his value as a man and a public servant…

Getting surprised and shot isn't "heroic". Waiting and following at a distance to see where they go until somebody else arrives to help in the interdiction is better than going to the hospital, or morgue, imo.

But I wasn't there, either.

The word in quotation marks and the situation you describe are yours.
The solution you suggested in hindsight would have been better, yes.

The victim seemingly assumed the criminals would not attempt murder over robbery, and in this instance his faith in man was misplaced. Still better than shooting first.
Tough pill to swallow? Try herbal.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

It's definitely a "young man/womans" game. For sure.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Yes, a gun may not save your life. Also true, a gun does not make you invicible. However, here in the US at least 200,000 people (probably much more) are saved every year becuase of defensive gun use (according to National Crime and Victimization Survey). Most do not even have to fire their guns. Also our violent crime rate in general is falling almost every year since the 90s according to FBI statistics. But don't let these facts bother you, go on and bash us "Americans". I know ... it's a fad thing or maybe truthfully more of an envy thing (I know you will deny it).

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: joemoe

Yes, a gun may not save your life. Also true, a gun does not make you invicible. However, here in the US at least 200,000 people (probably much more) are saved every year becuase of defensive gun use (according to National Crime and Victimization Survey). Most do not even have to fire their guns. Also our violent crime rate in general is falling almost every year since the 90s according to FBI statistics. But don't let these facts bother you, go on and bash us "Americans". I know ... it's a fad thing or maybe truthfully more of an envy thing (I know you will deny it).

You must be living in a different USA to the one we are talking about. Lol.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

I hope the officer recovers.

But all the gunmen were trying to do is redistribute wealth!

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

All that I said is true. Any proof that it is not?

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

If a cop got shot in the head while trying to prevent a crime in any other 1st world country, it would be a huge news story. But in the US, its just business as usual... So obviously (for whatever reason) there is a more significant 'gun problem' in the US, than in most other 1st world counties.

Quoted this just so people can read it again. You make a very good point. Hell, there are two dozen shootings at least in Chicago ever single weekend and it is simply ignored. Cops getting shot getting 15 second mention on National news.

When you compare America to every other first world nation, everybody here will argue you cannot compare. They say that the US population, criminals owning guns, and sheer number of guns make comparisons invalid.

Yet i see Asian nations with MUCH bigger populations and probably also bigger crime syndicates yet with less of this problem.

Do you know how criminals HAVE all those 'illegal' weapons? Second hand sales. Oh yeah and also because every other American already has a 'legal' gun to be stolen. Which happens. All the time.

I am not advocating anything. But we as Americans need to quit ignoring the problem. Hell most people need to still admit there even is a problem.

Hope the officer recovers fully. Cheers to a life getting another chance.
edit on 14-2-2016 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
The officer may have been the only one on duty at the time due to budget constraints or his partner out on sick leave/vacation. I've worked a city of 4,000 many nights by myself when I was a cop. The stories I can tell...

Hopes and wishes for the officer's speedy recovery!
edit on 14-2-2016 by NightFlight because: Selfish

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype

Yet I see Asian nations with MUCH bigger populations and probably also bigger crime syndicates yet with less of this problem.

No, you don't. The only countries in the world with a higher population than the US is China and India. Indonesia is fourth with Brazil fifth, and their murder rates are more FUBAR.

Indonesia

Brazil

When people ask why our crime is so high, everyone seems to just ignore the fact that we are the single most drugged population on Earth. Largest consumer of Illegal drugs that # up peoples minds, as well as prescribed drugs, especially SSRI's which # peoples heads up even more, especially when they stop taking them. That is probably the most likely correlation right there.

WTF?

The store is across from a police station.

Well, thats ... unusual..
edit on 2/14/2016 by AmericanRealist because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join