It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hillary said Obama would make a great Supreme Court justice....what if?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   
With justice Scalia's death, thoughts will turn to a replacement. Upon his sudden death, I was immediately reminded of Hillary's words just a few days ago, and my heart sunk as I thought about them:

The Democratic presidential candidate was responding to a question from a voter, who noted that the next president probably will have several Supreme Court appointments to make. The man wondered aloud if Obama might be one of them if Clinton moves into the White House.

“Wow! What a great idea!” Clinton exclaimed as the crowd of 450 people roared approval and applauded.

“I’ll be sure to take that under advisement,” she said. “I mean, he’s brilliant. He can set forth an argument, and he was a law professor, so he’s got all the credentials. Now, we do have to get a Democratic Senate to get him confirmed.”

www.usatoday.com...

Can you imagine! Do you think it is even possible, much less probable?

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Depends if you think this Congress/Senate would accept the referral.

Well, do you?

Lol not a chance in Hades.
edit on 13-2-2016 by CharlieSpeirs because: Addition.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Nope. I don't think so.

If Hillary gets elected (heaven forbid!) and the Senate goes Democrat (heaven forbid!) and the justice seat is still vacant, and she nominates Barack Obama, that would be a huge first and, imo, a sad day in America.

Three weeks after she practically "promises" to nominate him if given the opportunity, a conservative justice suddenly passes away. It just seems to be a big fork in the road for America.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Honest question, the people in place where they judges at one point in there career or do they just need a degree in law.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Do you too sense Justice Scalia rolling over in his grave ....?
What a strange coinky.......

edit on 13-2-2016 by bandersnatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

No. They do not have to have been a judge, nor do they even have to have a law degree.

www.supremecourt.gov...

Are there qualifications to be a Justice? Do you have to be a lawyer or attend law school to be a Supreme Court Justice?
The Constitution does not specify qualifications for Justices such as age, education, profession, or native-born citizenship. A Justice does not have to be a lawyer or a law school graduate, but all Justices have been trained in the law. Many of the 18th and 19th century Justices studied law under a mentor because there were few law schools in the country.

The last Justice to be appointed who did not attend any law school was James F. Byrnes (1941-1942). He did not graduate from high school and taught himself law, passing the bar at the age of 23.
Robert H. Jackson (1941-1954). While Jackson did not attend an undergraduate college, he did study law at Albany Law School in New York. At the time of his graduation, Jackson was only twenty years old and one of the requirements for a law degree was that students must be twenty-one years old. Thus rather than a law degree, Jackson was awarded with a "diploma of graduation." Twenty-nine years later, Albany Law School belatedly presented Jackson with a law degree noting his original graduating class of 1912.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
Honest question, the people in place where they judges at one point in there career or do they just need a degree in law.

Because the Constitution does not set any qualifications for service as a Justice, the President may nominate any individual to serve on the Court. However, that person must receive the confirmation of the Senate.

Appointment and confirmation to the Supreme Court of the United States

Technically, they can nominate anybody. Even non citizens. Even Michelle Obama !!!

edit on Feb-13-2016 by xuenchen because: sorosism

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Michelle!? Heaven forbid! Thank goodness we have a Republican senate right now, or this country's goose would be cooked.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Throwing up in my mouth would be far more palatable than a Justice Obama...

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Nope. I don't think so.

If Hillary gets elected (heaven forbid!) and the Senate goes Democrat (heaven forbid!) and the justice seat is still vacant, and she nominates Barack Obama, that would be a huge first and, imo, a sad day in America.

Three weeks after she practically "promises" to nominate him if given the opportunity, a conservative justice suddenly passes away. It just seems to be a big fork in the road for America.

It seems every time Hillary focuses on something, someone always dies. Strange huh?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Al Gore is probably sitting in his palace saying, What about me?

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   
convienant that there is an opening... died while hunting. was Cheney perhaps there. kinda aids in interpreting the constitution however they want as thats what the judicial branch does... when two lawyers get together what is left to judge of mankind?

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Obama would be a lousy Justice.

He'd be bound by the one thing he hates.

The Constitution.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

It seems every time Hillary focuses on something, someone always dies. Strange huh?

I'm trying not to let my thoughts go too far that way in this instance, but I find myself wondering who those 40 people were that Justice Scalia dined with that evening.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
My first thought would be that you have to know something about the constitution to be on the SC.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Here's my loony theory - The DC establishment hates him so much that if it looked like Cruz was about to get the nomination, they might cut a deal with Obama to appoint to him and remove him from the race.

Sure, it goes completely against what Obama wants in a justice, but it doesn't upset the current balance of the court as he'd basically be replacing like with like and it removes Cruz to a venue where any damage he could do or noise he could make would be minimal.

And it would ensure that he absolutely could not end up in the Oval Office by accident, thus safeguarding Obama's legacy and further setting up the Democrats for another one of their own in the Oval Office.

... Or even worse, Cruz wins the nomination AND then they nominate him to the SCOTUS ...

edit on 13-2-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

wow & here I thought nothing could be worse than Justice Obama.
Justice Cruz.
Dear Jesus can we just get an independent or something?

When are the senate seats up this year? I'm sure that will factor into this thing.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Esoterotica

You have one in Kennedy.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It's a plausible theory, but I do not think Obama would nominate a conservative in a million years. I see him nominating a muslim before he would a conservative...lol. He is a lame duck president just a few months away from leaving. I don't think he should nominate one at all, but, rather let the next elected president do it. But, that's not his style either.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
A cabal of sociopathic criminals most foul.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join