It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservative Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead in his room at Texas resort

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Scalia, 79, was one of the staunchest conservative members of the court. He was nominated in 1986 by President Ronald Reagan and is the longest-serving member on the court. He championed the philosophy of "orginalism," meaning he interprets the Constitution according to what he believes the original authors intended over 200 years ago. In a 2008 interview with "60 Minutes," he told correspondent Lesley Stahl that he believes the Constitution is an "enduring" document he wants to defend.

www.cbsnews.com...

Reagan era politics is slowly coming to an end, and as much as I enjoyed that president, I can't say I'm sorry to see such a conservative member of the court pass away. It's not that he hasn't served your nation in a way that was intended when appointed, but I feel his views are part of your past that should have been overruled as times changed.

RIP good Sir, and thank-you for your service.
edit on 13/2/2016 by anxietydisorder because: Link, still can't add a link.....

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Damn Man...That shakes up things in the supreme..RIP Scalia.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: anxietydisorder

This will sound callous..but good riddance. He pretty much wanted to burn the Constitution and our rights. During his tenure, he made the SCOTUS into a circus.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

The circumstances of his death seem odd.

The 2nd Amendment will sorely miss you.

RIP, Your Honor.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Sorry, but this is the fourth thread.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   

That's a shame. He was a good man that will be missed.

This is probably bigger than any election as far as political landscape goes. Now Obama can create his liberal majority and our rights will be eroded even more. Ugh.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: greydaze
Damn Man...That shakes up things in the supreme..RIP Scalia.

This also means that Obama will leave a lasting legacy of three appointed justices to SCOTUS. Considering the last two seats that were filled, it should be interesting to see who fills Scalia's chair.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Obama already was going to leave a lasting legacy. It will just be worse now.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I can't claim to know the inner workings of your government as well as an American, but I get the idea that a lot of your own citizens are also ignorant of how things work.

From the outside looking in I've been impressed by Obama. You've had better, and you've had much worse, but I think you've had a least eleven of them in my life so far. Not one of them has gone without criticism, it comes with the job. But each has also been praised by the people at the same time.

An empty SCOTUS seat is the sitting president's job to fill (with the approval of Congress), but of course he would want that position filled by someone that reflects his views. That hasn't always happened, and there is no way his decision will please everyone.

I think the big hurt in the conservative camp right now is the fact that he waited until his last year in office to push for gun control. But again, I'm an outsider looking in, and there are a lot of people watching what America decides to do on this issue. A lot of people are thinking you are just totally crazy for not getting this under control, and it's to the point that it's become a running joke to the rest of the world.

Just how much impact would SCOTUS have on gun control in your nation if one more Justice was appointed that leaned so far left that Scalia would rise from the dead to slay them?

By the way, Ruth Bader Ginsburg is still the hot liberal on that panel. She's no Sandra Day O'Connor for the conservative fans, but if she showed a bit more leg? I'm just saying she's probably the walking corpse that maintains a little life in that court. You need someone like her to take the seat, but 40 years younger.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
OLD NEWS, poster came in fourth.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Rest in Peace. A brilliant legal mind, albeit, one which occasionally believed limiting freedom to be a good way to uphold the Constitution (his opinion on gay marriage an example.)

Nevertheless, hopefully every so-called "Justice" who officially sold out the nation with the "Citizens United" decision dies and is replaced by someone who is not an overt Enemy of the People.

I was thinking of skipping that last part as being in poor taste, but seeing how the Republican party so quickly decided on their ridiculous unified message that President Obama should wait to fill the seat, I figured bad taste alone paled in comparison to bad taste coupled with ludicrousity and insanity.
edit on 2/13/2016 by dogstar23 because: Added more

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   

From the outside looking in I've been impressed by Obama. You've had better, and you've had much worse

Not in the modern age.Obama far surpassed the previous "Worst President in US Modern Age ' Carter for that title.

Obama Is First As Worst President Since WWII

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
The Senate will delay until Obama is gone. It is a hot issue in the election and they won't let it go, it will motivate people to get out to vote.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: anxietydisorder
RIP good Sir, and thank-you for your service.

Here, let me be ingenuous for you;
Good riddance!
(Bronx cheer! *__- )

top topics

join