It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senior U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia found dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

Associate Justice Antonin Scalia was found dead of apparent natural causes Saturday on a luxury resort in West Texas, federal officials said.

I wonder how much this will upset the balance of the Supreme Court. Guess it is good news that it was a "Natural Death." Would hate to think any kind of "Conspiracy" may be behind it. Or has there been something possibly going on that he was against? So hard to know these days....

Another snippet from story:

According to a report, Scalia arrived at the ranch on Friday and attended a private party with about 40 people. When he did not appear for breakfast, a person associated with the ranch went to his room and found a body.

Any idea who may fill his spot if you were to guess?

LINK TO ARTICLE
edit on 2/13/16 by onehuman because: fixed typos

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
He was 79 years old so I guess it was old age. I wonder if President Obama will appoint someone else before his term ends, our we'll have to wait for the next President to do that.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Oh wow. I always felt he was a good wildcard, and a good maker of points. I hope this is a natural death

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Teddy916

Can that position stay empty that long? I would think Obama would scramble to fill it for the "just in case thing."

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
sad news when anyone dies, especially after dedicating their life to service for the USA.

This will completely change the make up of the Supreme Court. Does anyone know how the process works exactly and will Obama have time to replace the judge.

Even though I could be considered a liberal, this is still sad news and thoughts to his family. The man was a father and probably grandfather after all.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Here's his voting record.

Antonin Scalia On the issues

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I'm afraid I can't extend much sympathy. A pat on the family's shoulder for the personal side, a fistpump for the political.

It's about time he kicked it, he's been on the bench far too long for my comfort. ALL justices sit on the bench far too long, IMO.
edit on 2/13/2016 by Nyiah because: typo!

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teddy916
He was 79 years old so I guess it was old age. I wonder if President Obama will appoint someone else before his term ends, our we'll have to wait for the next President to do that.

It will be filled ASAP. The administration no doubt already has a list of replacements ready at all times, and these are replacements that they likely they have already made sure will get through the Senate. That is how it normally works and the whole questioning in Congress is just a political show. It is very rare a nominee is voted down for that reason. Of course often once they get into office they do not vote the way they are expected to anyway.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
The thing is, while President Obama could present someone for appointment tomorrow, the Supreme Court is under no obligation to vote on the appointment in a timely fashion. It is conceivable that the Senate could postpone a vote until after the election, in which case president elect would appoint someone after they are inaugurated in January.

And yes, current President Obama could appoint someone in the November-January time frame, but there is no way that would get voted on.

I'm torn. It would be practically be unconscionable to leave an even number of judges for practically a year. On the other hand, a Republican controlled Senate is likely to fight any appointments tooth and nail, out of spite.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Obama can put forth a candidate, however, it will still require a conformation of the congress for the justice to take the seat. And this is going to be one fight that neither political party will want to have at this time frame. The Republicans are stalling to try to embarass the president and more things are coming out. And here is the one problem:

If they wait until the next president then they are taking a gamble that one of the Republicans may get into office, and if not then they are in for a worse time of it. The last time a person was nominated, it took them a very long time just for a vote.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Already posted HERE:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
As with any passing I feel for the family and friends...

but must admit my sympathy is on par with the sympathy his Honor usually showed the disenfranchised and non powerful citizens of our republic.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Of course Obama will put someone's name forward to replace him and of course the republican congress will delay it to the end of his term.

This will put a whole new perspective in the presidential race and if congress is seen as playing games with any nominations it could hurt their presidential candidate .

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
maybe the supreme court will just go home and not address any of the issues...doubt it though. this hurts, it really does. the republicans will stall probably using this as an incentive to vote a conservative republican office so that they can nominate someone who will rule favorable to their platform and even if obama bends and nominates a not so conservative to the post, they are likely to block it. any know what happens if there's a tie in the supreme court on a case?

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: CeltAngel

Out of spite?

You do understand what happens if Obama appoints another Justice in the mold of Kagan or Sotomayor, right?

You get a court that has a 5-1-3 breakdown of votes where the three are more likely to break into differences of opinion than the five ever will because the five will vote straight ideology rather than try to measure the law or constitution in good faith.

In other words, nothing will be denied the left-leaning side of any issue presented to the court until and unless Ginsburg or Breyer kick the bucket and we are lucky enough to have a president who can pick a justice in the mold of Scalia to rebalance the court. But a lot of damage is done on the meantime.

However, I understand that the left doesn't consider the viewpoints of constitutionalists or originalists to be valid or worthy of discussion at all because they tend to get in the way of the progressive agenda.

edit on 13-2-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I do understand what you were saying, and think I explained myself poorly, or not at all. It was more meant as a flippant

"Prez could pick the most suitable candidate that everyone can agree would be the best fit. However, because partisan politics feel like they are getting REALLY out of control (re: some of the rhetoric on the ACA), I think that it could be a knee-jerk 'Prez wants=therefore BAD" reaction and a number of senators will vote against any nominees regardless of the politics involved"

Appreciate the response, and your added thoughts. Regardless of how the new appointment goes down, the ramifications will he huge.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Hi CIA!! nice one! ANother natural causes murder under your belt! Yall ar egetting so good at this even the grim reaper will b e impressed.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Please continue discussion at already existing thread here:

Supreme Court Justice Scalia Dies

Closing this thread.

new topics

top topics

join